Make USB drive my A drive

vbimport

here is one for ya all… I been trying for a week now:
I got an external USB floppy drive. Is it possible to make this my a: drive. Refuses to take letter “a” :frowning:

Using WinXP pro and Win2000 via dual boot option screen.

hmm don’t think so, I’m pretty sure letters A and B are reserved for the onboard floppy ide controller. What ways have you tried to change it?

ps. Is boot up floppy seek enabled in the bios?

In Windows, these driveletters are indeed reserved for the IDE controller. However, there maybe some kind of tool allowing you to rename the drive.

In the good old dos time, before the subst command was born, there was a command called assign, that could do assign a=b or so…

Maybe you could look for such a tool that operates on any kind of Microsoft based system (2k/XP)… try Google! (and report back if you find anything interesting ;))

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307844

done and done :smiley:

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307844

done and done :smiley: [/B]

This explains something:

Your computer can use up to 26 drive letters, from A through Z. Use drive letters C through Z for hard disk. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives. However, if your computer does not have a floppy disk drive, you can assign these letters to removable drives.

Solved :smiley:

Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives. However, if your computer does not have a floppy disk drive, you can assign these letters to removable drives.

That’s exactly why i asked if boot up floppy seek was enabled. Assuming you have an internal floppy drive remove it and set “boot up floppy seek”. Then when you start your pc it will look for external floppy drives and should (in theory) name it A drive. If you were wondering “boot up floppy seek” is used for laptops with external floppy drives so i see no reason why it shouldn’t work. :wink:

so far I tired all of these except that enabling Floppy seek. Will try that tonight. I’ll post any results.

I have a program called winguides tweak manager, it has a tweak that allows you to rename drives.