Make a file unreadable

I am trying to make a copy protection for a cd with some software that i have created

and i was wondering if there is any way you could make a file burned on the cd unreadable (or at least to give an error that it can’t be accessed).

the file is very small (less than 5 mb)

i would greatly appreaciate any insight on the subject

(just out of curriosity it there any way to make a file unreadable by means of iso manipulation or other methods, but without copy protection or scratching the disk)

thank you!

@ rockwall,

Welcome to the Forum.

Attempting to “Copy Protect” a CD and/or DVD is a fruitless endeavor.

As an example the manufactures of Commercial DVD Movies spend millions of dollars to “Copy Protect” their Commercial DVD Movies but software products similar SlySoft ‘AnyDVD’ are able to “Unprotect” every “Copy Protected” Commercial DVD Movie that have ever been released.

Also there other software programs similar to ‘CloneCD’ that easily “UnProtect” “Copy Protected” CD/DVD Games which the CD/DVD Game manufactures spend millions to “Copy Protect”.

Do you really believe that if the Commercial DVD Movies and/or CD/DVD Game manufactures that spend millions are unsuccessful in their “Copy Protections” efforts that an individual will be successful to “Copy Protect” a CD or DVD?

Perhaps you should visit the CDFreaks Copy Protection Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f80) for information on the realm of Copy Protection.

If you really want to “Protect” a file on a CD and/or DVD suggest considering using a File Archive program similar to WinRar (http://www.rarlab.com) and “Password Protect” the WinRar Archive File. Although there are WinRar Password ‘breaker’ software programs but if you use a "Complicated Password” which contains a combination of various random Upper/Lower Case Letters, Numbers and Figures it can take months or even years to break a “Password Protected” WinRar Archive File.

Regards,
bjkg

Thank you for your answer and i agree with the fact that copy protection is useless, but in my case I am making a software for a company that is not IT savvy and I wanted to prevent them from using it on more computers (eg. I think it is fair that they buy the number of licenses that they need) and in this case online check can’t be used.

My idea was the following:
-Use a file with a certain length as a serial (the file itself would not contain anything.
-Each time the program is used it will check the cd for the file and check it’s length.
-To prevent the cd from being multiplied I wanted to have this file as unreadable -eg. like when you have a scratched or missed burned cd.

(I thought that this would be an cost effective method as I can’t afford an expensive copy protection program)

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, beer is one me :iagree:

[QUOTE=rockwall;2301573]Thank you for your answer and i agree with the fact that copy protection is useless, but in my case I am making a software for a company that is not IT savvy and I wanted to prevent them from using it on more computers (eg. I think it is fair that they buy the number of licenses that they need) and in this case online check can’t be used.

My idea was the following:
-Use a file with a certain length as a serial (the file itself would not contain anything.
-Each time the program is used it will check the cd for the file and check it’s length.
-[B]To prevent the cd from being multiplied I wanted to have this file as unreadable -eg. like when you have a scratched or missed burned cd.
[/B]
(I thought that this would be an cost effective method as I can’t afford an expensive copy protection program)

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, beer is one me :iagree:[/QUOTE]

LOL, what illogic sense is that?? :bigsmile: