Major problems with SOHW-1633S

vbimport

So I bought a Lite-On SOHW-1633S back in january, and with it I bought a 30 pack of Memorex DVD-R discs. They worked great. Then I bought a 25 pack of Fujifilm DVD-R, they worked great. Well about a month ago, I decided to get a 25 pack of Fujifilm DVD+R, and right then, problems arose. The first disc I burned out of this pack was a disc with different episodes of TV shows, the disc would play sometimes, other times it wouldn’t. Over time, the problem got worse. So I decided to try installing the firmware (BS0S), and since then, literally no DVD’s burned are playing in stand-alone DVD players, including brands and types that have previously worked before.

System info:
CPU: Duron 900 Mhz.
Bus Speed: 66 Mhz.
Motherboard: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 256 MB
Video: Onboard Radeon 7000 series

Hopefully someone can help me out with this, I’m pretty inexperienced and I really don’t want to have to buy a new DVD burner this soon.

So no other changes were made? Is your DVD player fairly new or slightly older? Remember that older players typically can read -Rs but if you are using +Rs you may need to booktype them to DVD-ROM for compatibility.

Bigdog

@ Dichotomize
Welcome:). You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of the offending discs will help us help you.

I have a 1633s (since upgraded to 1653 firmware)… you might want to reset ‘learnt meadia’ when you upgrade firmware… I know I got some of my best burns/scans with BSOS and Fiji (Ty) +R media. Almost regretting that I cross flashed, thought the new FW is pretty close to the results I was getting with the Manuf’s BSOS.

Don’t give up!

-Behr

@ Behr

You can always go back to BS0S…

I made my best burns with BS0S too but only @ 4x. Currently trying CS0M to achieve 8x burns, but if unsuccesful, I will certainly return to BS0S (with LedFix of course) :bigsmile:

:smiley: Leo