Major problems with graphics card

Ok i’ll try to be as specific as possible.
I have a 3ghz single core 1 gb ram, desktop pc
the graphics card is an “ati 3d rage pro agp 9250”
It has always worked until recently now these are some things that are happening.

• Tried to open FEAR.exe and "unable to initialize the renderer to a valid video mode.
  • try to oped diablo 2 and “error 25 a critical error has occured while initializing direct 3d”

basically fom what i can see i need new drivers.

Now i used a program to delete all the ati drivers.
After this in device manager “ATI technologies inc. 3d Rage pro agp” had a yellow exclamation mark and said device cannot start code 10.

i then uninstalled this hoping windows would pick it up when i went add hardware on restart.

however windows did not pick it up and now it is not in device manager either.

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
kolby

The video adapter is no longer seen in Device Manager if I correctly interpret what you said. In this circumstance you need to first download the correct driver for the device which you should be able to find by internet search for it. Then use “Add/Remove Hardware” in Control Panel to add the video adapter selecting the downloaded driver when the wizard reaches the point where it prompts for driver.

Hi,[QUOTE=kolbyyum;2309986]
After this in device manager “ATI technologies inc. 3d Rage pro agp” had a yellow exclamation mark and said device cannot start code 10.
[/QUOTE]see if reseating the card does help.
This worked for me when I had the same problem with a PCI sound card.

Michael

Ok i went to the ATI website and downloaded the driver for a radeon 9250 for my windows. i then went to add hardware and neither the driver or the device was in the list. :frowning:

I then tried to install the driver and it did not install it stopped and said " Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"

I though maybe i could try a different driver but do i need to now uninstall this driver or just try a different one?

Also by reseating the card do you mean opening up the case and taking it out then putting it back in? if so i havent tried that yet

thanks

Kolby

Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup as suggested, and retry installing driver after that’s done.

[QUOTE=kolbyyum;2310352]Also by reseating the card do you mean opening up the case and taking it out then putting it back in? [/QUOTE]Exactly.

Ok i tried reseating the graphics card and to no prevail :frowning:

after putting it back into the system i plugged it all in and tried add hardware and the display adapter option still was not present and tried looking in device manager and same there.

back to square one :frowning:

im stumped :frowning:

cheers
Kolby

[QUOTE=bevills1;2310538]Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup as suggested, and retry installing driver after that’s done.[/QUOTE]

ok how do i go about seting up display adapter with a standard vga driver?
im not so great with computers…

kolby

In Device Manager under Display Adapters there should be some adapter seen there. Right click the adapter, select Properties, select Update Driver and choose the standard vga driver. Then restart the system and retry installing the correct driver that was downloaded.

hmm nah that wont work that is one of my main problems :frowning: the display adapter tab isnt even appearing in device manager or in the section where i go add hardware :frowning:

well im stumped

Win2k had an option to choose hardware to add hardware if it doesn’t appear in the Add/Remove Hardware list, but I don’t see that option in WinXP which I’ve only been using a week or so now. If you can find that option in WinXP, it should solve the problem.

If the option isn’t found or doesn’t work, the only other things I can think that might work is to first try running “chkdsk /f” and do a repair install of Windows if that doesn’t help. Note running chkdsk /f will give a message that it can’t be run now and will ask if you want to do it on next restart to which you should answer “Yes” and restart. Finally I’d try a repair install of Windows if running chkdsk /f doesn’t help. If the problem persists after trying all this, you might check http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=winxp+-+display+adapter+missing+in+device+manager&aq=f&oq=&aqi= to see if a soltuion may be found there.

hmm tried it but didnt work.
well thanks for your help anyway
kolby

In the third post at http://www.realgeek.com/forums/missing-display-adapter-128025.html it says “There is a listing in System Devices that reads: VGA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller.” If you have this listing in Device Manager, you may be able to install the standard VGA adapter there by selecting “Update driver” for the device. You should then be able to install the correct driver downloaded if this restores the display adapter in Device Manager.

If that also fails to work, you might try contacting ATI support to see if they can help. If none of this helps you may have to do a fresh Windows install to fix the problem. I’ve encountered some problems for which fresh install was the only way to fix it. Remember to backup your data before doing fresh install if fresh install is done.