Major problems with AnyDVD. Need advice

Hallo,
I was hoping someone could help me with the problem I’ve been having with AnyDVD. I have already contacted SlySoft about my problem (e-Mail on November 23), but still, nobody from there has bothered to contact me to help me. I apologise for the length of this post but I need to explain things correctly if someone is to help me.
I will state my problem first and at the end you will see the stats of my outfit. PLEASE NOTE that I do not believe my blank media is causing any of these problems because I have used a couple of different brands and successfully burned movies to these when I used the trial versions of AnyDVD and Clone DVD. My friend uses the same blank media and she has no problems.
THE PROBLEM:
I downloaded the trial versions of AnyDVD 6.0.8.5 and Clone DVD 2.9.0.1. (A friend uses these two programs without any problems).
I managed to copy about 3 of my own movies and burned these to blank media and they played in my computer and in my stand alone DVD player without any problems. Although when the movie was copied to my computers hard disk and I was ready to burn it to blank media, I inserted the blank media to record the movie onto, and a message appeared saying the media was bad and I should insert another blank media. I had to do this between 2 and ten times before the movie would print to the blank media. Initially I put in new blank media before I realised that all I had to do was open and shut the DVD player tray and the movie would begin to burn to disk. I thought this particular problem was just because I was using the trial version.

So, I decided to purchase both Clone DVD 2.9.0.1 together with AnyDVD 6.0.8.5. and I downloaded and installed my registration keys and began copying one of my movies. The movie copies to my hard drive ok and it actually burns to blank media but when I try to play the disk in all the DVD players I used before, nothing happens. I still have the problem of the CloneDVD program not recognising the blank media I install to burn the movie onto because the message keeps appearing telling me that the media is bad and for me to install another blank disk. I open and close the DVD burner tray two or three times (or more) and then the movie starts burning, but the burned disk still won’t play.

I downloaded the AnyDVD version upgrade of 6.0.8.8 this evening thinking this would fix the problem but it hasn’t. I have read the Any DVD tutorial on this forum and followed the instructions carefully (albeit an older version being used in the tutorial) but I still can’t get a disk to play. It’s really frustrating because I’ve ended up with around 30 coasters as I try to get this program to work correctly, as well as not having anyone from SlySoft bother to answer my e-Mail requesting their assistance. I’m hoping a member on this forum can help me. Thank you in advance if you can help.

1. Was using AnyDVD version 6.0.8.5 Now upgraded to version 6.0.8.8

2. Using CloneDVD 2.9.0.1

3. OS is Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195 Service Pack 1
    Intel ® Pentium ® 4

4. DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-111D (not sure of what a Firmware Version is)

5. Blank Media: BenQ 16X DVD-R 4.7 GB Made in Malaysia
    Imation 8X DVD-R 4.7GB Made in Taiwan

I burn at the lower speeds for better quality. Not sure what else I can add.
Cheers C.I

Try running the uninstaller, then install version 6.0.8.2. You can get it here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_anydvd/?1734

There have been numerous posts reporting problems with version 6.0.8.5 and 6.0.8.8. Installing version 6.0.8.2 will at least confirm or rule this out.

Imation = just as bad as memorex! Others may agree too on this.

Google Nero info tool and download it or VSO Inspector they are both free and can get the firmare that you are using at the moment. I have seen BenQ mesia but haven’t tried it myself the burners are good so I imagine the media is too.

Clinically Insane -

From the information you have provide provided I do no believe you problem is caused by the recent problem some users have experienced with Any DVD versions v6.0.8.5/v6.0.8.8.

I believe your problem is blank DVD media and/or DVD Burner Firmware or combination of both related problem.

Imitation blank DVD Media is not top of the line quality media and has proven to problematic. Also BenQ Branded blank DVD Media is hit or miss proposition on reliable quality. For your DVD Burner to provide quality error free burning results requires current up to date DVD Burner Firmware.

To rule out the blank DVD Media as the cause of your problem use known proven quality blank DVD Media. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (Made In Japan) have proven to be quality DVD Media that provide error free results.

The current most up to date Firmware available for the Pioneer DVR-111D is Version Number 1.29. To obtain information on the Firmware installed on your Pioneer DVR-111D user either DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com). For information on Pioneer DVR-111D Firmware refer to the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87).

Also it should be noted that your version of Windows 2000 should be updated to the newer Service Pack #4 which was issued over three years ago (26 June 03). The Windows Service Pack #4 is required for CloneDVD2 v2.9.0.1.

BeLooken

Hi Clinically Insane,
Welcome to cdf.

I really don’t understand how you can make this statement when all the sypmtoms you describe below are [I]classic low quality media problem symptoms[/I]

…Although when the movie was copied to my computers hard disk and I was ready to burn it to blank media, I inserted the blank media to record the movie onto, and a message appeared saying the media was bad and I should insert another blank media. I had to do this between 2 and ten times …
Classic symptom.
…all I had to do was open and shut the DVD player tray and the movie would begin to burn to disk …
Classic symptom.
… I thought this particular problem was just because I was using the trial version …
This has nothing to do with your issue.
… The movie copies to my hard drive ok and it actually burns to blank media but when I try to play the disk in all the DVD players I used before, nothing happens …
You get a no disk error right? Classic symptom.
…I install to burn the movie onto because the message keeps appearing telling me that the media is bad and for me to install another blank disk. I open and close the DVD burner tray two or three times (or more) and then the movie starts burning, but the burned disk still won’t play …
Classic symptom.
…I still have the problem of the CloneDVD program not recognising the blank media
This is not a function of CloneDVD. The media is not being recognized by your Pioneer burner. Pioneers are very picky about requiring quality media.

… It’s really frustrating because I’ve ended up with around 30 coasters as I try to get this program to work correctly …
You could have reached the conclusion way before 30 attempts that your blank media is at fault. I suggest that you don’t try to get your money’s worth using up the remaining blanks your have … don’t use them anymore. Buy Taiyo Yuden online or Verbatim in your stores. These people are in charge of manufacturing their own media and don’t just farm out their manufacuring contracts to the lowest bid disk maker and then slap their brand label on that same media. Or give their specs to low quality factories operating in near slave labor countries. You can’t produce a quality media product this way. But guess what(?) … it’s on your store shelves isn’t it(?) … there ought to be a law! Quality media is EVERYTHING in your chosen hobby of backing up your movies!

Anyway, your Pioneer will like the Taiyo Yuden even better than the Verbatims and it’s worth the shipping wait for them to arrive. If price is why you are buying low quality media, what you are “saving” is not providing you with workable backups. Even if you can get cheapo media to burn and play, it will have little longevity and stop being playable in 6 months to a year. Time to change your mindset on price vs quality

… as well as not having anyone from SlySoft bother to answer my e-Mail requesting their assistance.
Slysoft has a new release out and they probably only have time to resolve CloneDVD/AnyDVD releated problems, not media/Pioneer problems.

Hope this sets you on the right track…

Best regards,
Whisperer