Major price down on blu-ray media in Japan

vbimport

Not sure exactly what happened as I can’t find any direct news about it, the big boys may be just fighting it out, or manufacturing may have gotten cheaper, or most likely they finally decided to stop gouging us so hard in this economy.

This weekend saw wholesale prices drop on certain models as much as 40% from Sony, 20% from TDK, and Panasonic has new models out in line with the new prices. The big movers were the one’s everyone has been waiting for 50gb BD-R DLs and both 25gb and 50gb BD-REs. 3 packs of Sony 50gb BD-Rs dropped around 1500 yen, about 40% off the price last week, 20 pack Sony BD-REs dropped 2000 yen, about 20%, for example. The TDK moves weren’t as drastic as they were already cheaper but they did go down. So we are finally seeing 50gbs under $10 here and BD-REs under $5. Also this now make BD-REs just a little bit more than regulars BD-Rs, and DLs less than double price, where they should be.

Anyway really fun news, and hopefully the new prices will trickle down to you guys outside Japan eventually. :cool:

Oh and forgot to mention that now, pound for pound (or rather GB for GB), for quality media at least, bd-r prices are now inline with dvd prices and a little cheaper in some cases. What that also means though (unfortunately) is we may not see many more huge price drops for a while as this may be the stabilization point.

Thanks nikoneko for this great news!

Oh boy, and I just bought a 5 pack 50GB BD-R Panasonic for about $73. Oh well. Is there a US custom fees that I have to pay if we order from a store that is based in Japan?

That’s still a good price, about $10 less than they were just last week. Those 5 pack 50gbs are already about as low as they will go outside Japan for a while, one reason being they are “for data” which are generally a bit cheaper here. Another being I can attest personally those are the single best selling bd-r item on ebay, people in Europe especially eat them up, so there have been price wars on them and the little ebay sheep sellers in Japan who have no idea how to run a business keep cutting their profit margins thinner and thinner to try and make a quick buck… (sorry personal pet peeve coming out :p)

Anyway I’m probably not supposed to talk about it but I did notice some as of yet unannounced sony 5 packs of printables for video at the lowest price yet on my price list. Sony has said nothing publicly though yet so no idea when they are coming out for now, but when they do that could bring the price down a bit more.

Oh and if you are in the US, there should not be any customs at all. “Unrecorded blank media” is classified as free. Different stories for different countries though, especially Europeans who almost always have to pay VAT.

Thank you and thank you for clarifying things about the custom. I’m sorry to make you go really close to breaking the rules of the forums. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good news and thanks nikoneko!

So what’s the lowest price you can get for BD-R/RE SL and DL in Japan?

Well I can get them for less than $3 a disc if I buy a 1000 or so at a time lol. :stuck_out_tongue: But seriously, if you’re buying retail and you’re buying in the biggest packs available AND you know how to find the deals online, a 20 pack of 25gb bd-rs go for about $3.50 a disc, 20 pack bd-res $4.00, 5 pack 50gb bd-rs $9, and 3 pack 50gb bd-res $15. Somewhere around there, but you have to really look online, if you just go to the store and buy them they really aren’t much cheaper than what you see from Japan on ebay (in other words a couple bucks more a disc). Pretty much the same as anywhere else I guess online shops have the best deals.

Where do you get such good prices online? Can you give us any suggestions on where to look? Apparently I’m not as savvy of a searcher as you are.

Try eBay…

I would PM nikoneko

[QUOTE=zero610;2155172]Where do you get such good prices online? Can you give us any suggestions on where to look? Apparently I’m not as savvy of a searcher as you are.[/QUOTE]

Those are prices in Japan if you are there try google. :slight_smile: Outside Japan, yeah try ebay. I hear there is this guy that sells all kinds of discs real cheap. :wink:

[QUOTE=nikoneko;2150626]Anyway I’m probably not supposed to talk about it but I did notice some as of yet unannounced sony 5 packs of printables for video at the lowest price yet on my price list. Sony has said nothing publicly though yet so no idea when they are coming out for now, but when they do that could bring the price down a bit more.[/QUOTE]

Btw these are announced now and should be out on the 15th. I’ve got 20 5 packs and 10 3 packs on there way to me. 6.5 TERABYTES of juicy goodness. :eek: :bow:

Some for about £3.20 in the UK
http://www.ketta.com/catalog/traxdata-bluray-25gb-bdr-printable-tub-p-3168.html

Thats 25GB not 50GB

[quote=nikoneko;2155193]I hear there is this guy that sells all kinds of discs real cheap. ;)[/quote]Do you think this guy is willing to sell to a poll of cdfreaks users in quantities (in one order) to get even cheaper? :smiley:

I would definitely be interested in that.

There you go. Let’s see if there are more members interested in getting really cheap blu-ray media. :smiley:

Definitely interested!

Lol, sure you guys figure out what you need and I’ll… I mean I’ll ask “the guy” to see how low he can go. It can’t be any worse than the <$30 profit I just made on a $900 order because the customer was in Brazil and I made a shipping price error… Any idea what it costs to ship 10 kg of discs express to Brazil? Hint it ain’t cheap. :sad:

Seriously though we always do discounts on quantity and if it’s a really large quantity starting at 100 and up on a single type of disc I can push my supplier for even lower prices. Like I say y’all figure out what exactly you’re after and we’ll go from there. :kiss:

[QUOTE=zevia;2155792]Do you think this guy is willing to sell to a poll of cdfreaks users in quantities (in one order) to get even cheaper? :D[/QUOTE]

For reference how much would 10 3 packs of sony BD-R DL discs cost?

Thanks.