MAJOR LiteOn 48125W problem ISOLATED and CONFIRMED!

vbimport

Well, to begin with this is topic taken off from cdrlabs forum. Thought you guys might wanna check it out to comment, don't flame me though :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4800&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Just for a start here, I wonder if this will affect o/c drives to 48125W as well.:confused:

To be honest I’ve never had any reading problems with any Lite-On drives and this problem seems to be bullshit and limited to one drive or to one system only.

Actually, I am having the same problem with my 32x oc 48x drive… Maybe one day I should flash it back to 32x and see if the same thing happen again.

Last time I checked, that particular post had more interesting and better developed detail :stuck_out_tongue:

I just tried this out and I get the same problem with my 32125w o/c to 48x. After the 1st run my read speed drops down to about 5-6x (1st run average speed was about 37x using a Gold TDK 80min CDR). Like Niel, maybe I should change it back to a 32x a see if the problem is still there…

LOL… I am spending a lot more time than I used to just pondering and testing which media can be written at full speeds and optimized.

Sometimes, I wish I didn’t sell my good old 12x plextor. Though the speed was a bit slower than I never had to worry about Z-CLV/P-CAV/CAV as writers below 20x were all on CLV. yeesh…:frowning:

i have this exact problem, but not when i go back to zs0j
sucks cuz i really am in love with the vs02 burntimes

so theres no solution is there?
cuz i’d like to just stick with vs02 instead of switching back and forth like i’ve been doing

Originally posted by Xjinn
[B]i have this exact problem, but not when i go back to zs0j
sucks cuz i really am in love with the vs02 burntimes

so theres no solution is there?
cuz i’d like to just stick with vs02 instead of switching back and forth like i’ve been doing [/B]

Use VS02 but burn at 32X, it will be much faster than with ZS0J at the same speed setting and is almost as fast as selecting 40X using theold Z-CLV firmware and certainly much faster than your original non-OC’ed 32125W firmware. Works great for me on the low-end 16X unbranded Princos with my 40125S.

Hi, I am curious why you suggest using VS02 to burn at 32x instead of ZS0J.
Why would it be much faster? The ZS0J is the latest for the 48125S, and with P-CAV. So with both set to 32x, what is the benefit?

I use the ZS0J in the 48125S at 32x because I would much rather give up a little speed for solid burns.
I like this thread because this speed thing is killing me! Squeezing out a little more speed from 24x media to 48x seems not worth the effort as I always thought that you wanted error free results if you are going to burn to a CD-Rom in the first place…

Thanks,
kilopapa

Originally posted by kilopapa
[B]Hi, I am curious why you suggest using VS02 to burn at 32x instead of ZS0J.
Why would it be much faster? The ZS0J is the latest for the 48125S, and with P-CAV. So with both set to 32x, what is the benefit?

I use the ZS0J in the 48125S at 32x because I would much rather give up a little speed for solid burns.
I like this thread because this speed thing is killing me! Squeezing out a little more speed from 24x media to 48x seems not worth the effort as I always thought that you wanted error free results if you are going to burn to a CD-Rom in the first place…

Thanks,
kilopapa [/B]

The VS01/VS02 firmwares start burns at 22X instead of ~19X and reach 32X at the 20 minute mark. A complete 74 min disk takes 2:37 to burn (excluding lead-in and lead-out), avg speed at 32X setting: about 30.3X. Results are as good at that speed on my princos than with the ZS0J firmware: 0 error and about 10 seconds faster.

Errors almost always occur at the end of the disk, where high speeds are reached. Starting out faster gives faster results without sacrificing quality since burns start at a much lower setting than what the media can take, whihc in this case is about 34X.

Hence, starting burns at 22X gives speedier results and the quality stays the same.

Wow, I never looked at it that way… What a nice answer, thanks.
But I am thinking, why does it start out faster on the VS02?
Does it just spin the disk faster because it wants to end up at 48x?
Since it is CAV, I guess the disk stays the same throughout so it needs a total faster speed? Thinking it “might” be asked to burn at 48x. But we set it to 32x so what limits it to 32x? Does it slow down at the 32x mark?
Sorry to bug you but I get curious and you have a good handle on it.
Thanks again,
kilopapa

Originally posted by kilopapa
Wow, I never looked at it that way… What a nice answer, thanks.
But I am thinking, why does it start out faster on the VS02?
Does it just spin the disk faster because it wants to end up at 48x?
Since it is CAV, I guess the disk stays the same throughout so it needs a total faster speed? Thinking it “might” be asked to burn at 48x. But we set it to 32x so what limits it to 32x? Does it slow down at the 32x mark?
Sorry to bug you but I get curious and you have a good handle on it.
Thanks again,
kilopapa

Because the drive (spindle) motor can handle it! It does start at that speed when reading, doesn’t it? :cool:

And yes, if you look at the transfer speed graph in CD Speed (when testing write transfer speed of a 32X disk), it does slow down as soon as it reaches 32X so as to keep the linear speed constant at 32X.

at 48X it slows down as well, but it is almost imperceptible (11,000 RPM->10500RPM)

Glad to be of help :smiley:

Any of you with the real 48x have this problem?

I’m waiting for my new 48x to arrive! when it does i can tell you, but it seems strange to me!

the topic of this thread wasnt errors caused by burning to fast… it is errors supposedly caused by overheating, and if anybody has a solution i’d love to hear it

although it does seem to be from overheating, because this problem on my drive only crops up after 1 or 2 reads that come with 0 errors, then all following reads are failures

and it is completely unrelated to burnspeed because it also occurs on discs that i have burnt at 20x with zs0j and read back on zs0j 100 times all with 0 errors

i havent tested this very much, but vs02 burns read on zs0j seem to be fine also

Hi!

I got the same problem. Switching back to the 32x firm fixes all problems. Your theroy of heat problems seems to be reasonably.

My drive is installed in the top 5,25" Solt. So the heat can not rise.
Another possible difference between the 32x and the 48x drives (beside the possible mechanical selections) is the use of IC’s specified for lower temperature ranges. Those IC’s are cheaper than the “high” temperature rated chips.

Sushi

Then install a blowhole in your case and make sure you have negative air pressure… should help regulate temps.

Originally posted by tazdevl
Then install a blowhole in your case and make sure you have negative air pressure… should help regulate temps.

:bigsmile:

Hmm… I think a bottle of liquid helium will do the job very fine, too…

Sushi

my case temp is room temp, i dont have a case

however the drive is between a stacked dvd and motherboard tray type thing

the sides are open to the air, but the drive does get extremely hot

i can try opening it up and taking dust out of it, but its a 40x drive its not that old

and like i said it works perfectly with zs0j firmware

I’ve done 20+ read tests with LTR-48125W both VS02 and VS06 (overclocked LTR-40125S) in Nero CD-Speed and my drive never get hot or fails…

I have 6 IDE drives stacked in my case and never had a problem.

btw it’s a Lian-Li PC75 Big tower Aluminium case which is very well ventilated.