MAJOR Frames Per Second Bug in DVDFab Mobile 5.0.5.0 leads to Xbox 360 WMV files with jerky playback

Hi There,

This is really a major bug…

Alhtough the frame rate in the DVD to Xbox 360 UI is set to 29.97, the decoded files only play back at 29.00 fps, creating major artifacts (every scene with a pan or zoom looks terrible – lots of jerkiness)

Please investigate!!!

Thanks,

Miette

What are you using to determine the playback framerate of 29.00?

First, let me point out that I observe the jerky playback of the WMV files on my PC using both Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 and WMP11. The former uses DirectShow for playback, the latter doesn’t. But in both cases, same lousy artifact.

As for establishing the fps of the encoded material, I opened the encoded files in Windows Media Encorder 9 and pretended to do a File Conversion (profile: File Archive). Then I let it run for a minute and looked at what the Monitor tab had to say.

In the case of a DVD ISO file encoded with DVDFAb at option Xbox 360 - 1-pass encoding - 29.97fps, I get this:

Expected fps: 29.97
Average fps: 29.00

In the case of a DVD ISO file encoded with DVDFAb at option Xbox 360 - 1-pass encoding - 30fps, this is what I get:

Expected fps: 29.97
Average fps: 30.00

Indeed, the second file plays better in WMP and PowerDVD.

It sounds to me that DVDFab is not handling the FPS setting appropriately. I wouldn’t be surprised if DVDFab correctly set the FPS in the WMV header to 29.97 based on the source file FPS. Perhaps DVDFab is simply failing to configure the WMV encoder, or compute input sample timestamps correctly, for its 29.97fps UI setting…

What do you think is going on?

Do you believe already encoded WMV files can be easily fixed or need to be regenerated?

Miette

How about opening the files in Gspot:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GSpot

I tried to duplicate this to test and got the “Task Cancelled” message with v5.0.5.8.
I made a test conversion with v4.1.2.0: MediaInfo reports 29.00 fps, AVICodec 30.983, LOL.

I opened and played the WMV files in GSpot. The Pics/s and Frame/s fields aren’t updated – they’re just blank.

Either I’m not using this app correctly or it has some issues with WMV files…

Miette

[quote=Miette09;2092782]I opened and played the WMV files in GSpot. The Pics/s and Frame/s fields aren’t updated – they’re just blank.

Either I’m not using this app correctly or it has some issues with WMV files…

Miette[/quote]

Sorry, you are right. Gspot doesn’t seem to handle fps on WMV files. Please try MediaInfo. I have verified it to work.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

And yes, you would probably need to re-encode the WMV files from the source to fix the framerate. I’m asking you to use MediaInfo to see if this is related to other issues people are having.

Media Info displays:

First video stream
en-us, 1200Kbps, 704*300 (2.35), at 29.000 fps, VC-1 (WMV3) (MP@ML)

Does it get the frame rate from the header?

Do you know of a tool that can edit the WMV header in place and set the frame rate to a different value?

Miette

I just verified using a hex editor to fix the frames per second value in the WMV header fixes the FPS value in MediaInfo but DOES NOT fix the playback problem.

Damn…

Miette

Have the same issue here. Any solutions yet? Please advise.

hi,

I will check this problem.

Any progress?

Same problem (jerky playback) exist with mobile to psp - seems like this version (v5x) is a dud. Bring back v4!

[quote=Ting;2110027]hi,

I will check this problem.[/quote]

Any progress? I hate to keep asking but I have tried the beta versions and the same issue remains. Makes the output file a real crap shoot.

Revised-I see a new beta was released that may have fixed the problem. Absolutley great turn around and customer focus.

hi,

Did you try the new beta ?
I think now the WMV fps must be correct.

[quote=Ting;2113516]hi,

Did you try the new beta ?
I think now the WMV fps must be correct.[/quote]

Ting… the Eagle has landed. Fixed the issue for me. Thanks again. Very pleased with the quick response. :):):slight_smile: