Major CD Text Cock Up

vbimport

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I’m in a band and we have recently had 150 copies of our first single duplicated by a company called CDME from Hertfordshire.

when you put one of the cd’s onto a PC in iTunes or an MP3 player the cd text comes up as some other band’s name, song name and album name yet it plays our song.

Not only this but the band whose name comes up dont even have a song by this name, however the information that comes up for their album is correct.

Could you let me know what has happened and who is at fault because the recording studio is blaming the CD duplicater and the CD duplicater is blaming the recording studio.

Thanks,

Ben

Hello Ben, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

Unless the master disc from the recording studio had the CD-Text info on it to start with (in which case, I would lay the blame with the recording studio), my guess would be the company that did the duplication are to blame.

You might want to ask the recording studio if the master disc used for duplication contained this (incorrect) info to start with. If they can’t answer that, tell them to check.

hello Arachne,

thanks for the response. I spoke to the studio earlier and he has that that there is 100% no possibility that this could have happened there. To be honest he is very proffessional and has recorded the likes of Ocean Colour Scene, Paul Weller etc… so i doubt he would have made the cock up.

Could you give me some idea as to how this may have happened so i know what i’m talking about when i speak to the duplicater.

Many thanks,

Ben

Hmmm, sounds like the guy at the studio knows what he’s doing, so the obvious culprit is the duplication company.

Is the incorrect info present on all 150 copies (I know that’s a pain to check).

Also, have you checked the master disc used in the duplication for the same error? (A master disc must exist for something to duplicate from ;))

If the master is free of errors, then the blame lies squarely with the duplication company, I’d say.

I dont have the master here but i will get the person who has it to check.

It only recognises the CD text when using iTunes or when the media player your using goes onto the internet to get the track listing.

I know full well that when the guy from the studio burnt the master CD he put the correct CD title in because i watched him do it so somewhere along the line the CD’s have been associated with this code which makes it come up with the wrong band.

[QUOTE=outraze;2111203]
I know full well that when the guy from the studio burnt the master CD he put the correct CD title in because i watched him do it so somewhere along the line the CD’s have been associated with this code which makes it come up with the wrong band.[/QUOTE]

Then that would indicate to me that something happened during the duplication process, I think you’ve answered your own question :slight_smile:

Without knowing the ins and outs of disc duplication, if the master disc has the correct info, then I’d say the problem doesn’t lie with the recording studio, since the master left there all present and correct. Doesn’t hurt to double-check that though since you’ll need all the proof you can get with the duplication company. :wink:

i know!

I wish people could just be honest and own up when they’ve made a mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

[QUOTE=outraze;2111206]i know!

I wish people could just be honest and own up when they’ve made a mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Ben[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I completely agree with you! Good luck, let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Hi,[quote=outraze;2111203]
It only recognises the CD text when using iTunes or when the media player your using goes onto the internet to get the track listing.[/quote]This might be the problem. It’s on your own side then.

There are only few software players that support CD Text, iTunes, Winamp and WMP don’t. Most try getting artist and track information from web based databases (CDDB, Freedb, etc.).
Since your discs contain “self-made” music which is not known in the databases, these software players just guess something more or less random.

To check if CD Text information is correct, use a hardware CD player that does support CD Text (most Sony for example).
Using a computer, try reading the CD Text information with CDex or EAC (it’s a good idea to disconnect the network cable to avoid confusing Freedb queries).

Michael

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Where can i get CDex or EAC from.

Also - the 150 cd’s that were burnt are actually going to be used by our record label to send out to radio stations to play. I presume as they will either just put the cd onto their own system or just play the cd directly then the CD text wont be a problem?

[quote=outraze;2111421]Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Where can i get CDex or EAC from. [/quote]
Tried Google? I suspect, no.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
Both are #1 of the search results.

Also - the 150 cd’s that were burnt are actually going to be used by our record label to send out to radio stations to play. I presume as they will either just put the cd onto their own system or just play the cd directly then the CD text wont be a problem?
Since most commercially availabe discs don’t have CD Text, this shouldn’t be a biggie, provided you gave them a track list also.

Michael

Is your band and music tracks listed with CDDB or FreeDB? Have you or anyone sent them the info to be added?