Major Anamorphic BrainStrain!

vbimport

I am putting AVIs to DVD format using DVD2SVCD w/ D2SRoba, CCE etc basically using the DivX>DVD Thread.

After countless articles, tests, articles and more tests I have one thing I cant get through.

Im wanting to make Anamorphic 16:9 discs as to play back on 4:3 TV now and also 16:9 TV in the future when i can afford to upgrade, and I read that the actuall image on such a disc is 33% larger verticaly, which is understood, and my DVD player also understands so automaticaly reduces the vert by 33% on my 4:3 cause i tell it so in menu options. Obviously in the future on my brandnew 16:9 the image will be stretched 33% horizontaly as to fit the screen.

Now, if i play my original Pirates of the Caribean in the DVD i can see the top and bottom bars as part of the picture and also another set of bars above and below the image. Im assuming this is the DVD doing its work in the 33% anamorphic reduction situation.

What do I need to do to get my burnt disc to do the same? because the DVD player doesnt seem to understand thats what im trying to replicate. Is there a code of sorts to let it know on the lead-in of a disc??? or am i blind to something that is pre-burn related??? and yes i am selecting “Anamorphic (16:9…)” in DVD2SVCD.

Sorry for the ramble, but with all the 4:3s, 16:9s, 740x480s, 2.35s etc etc im on overload!!! I can do everything else i want but i demand perfection and this is the only way to that higher status!
If anyone can help or wants to ask anything, please do.

Cheers
GRAVITY3479 xoxo

What your seeing here is whats called a 2.35:1, which is actually a 16:9 with extra added bars top and bottom. With contrast up just a bit, it allows you to see the 2 sets of black bars top & bottom of the picture. one slightly “grayer” than the other. This is very normal. When shown on a 16:9 screen, only the bar closest to the actual picture will be seen top and bottom. I hope I’m not confusing you here.

So you have selected “Anamorphic(encode as 16:9)” option in D2S and for some reason the picture has come out differently. You havent explained how differently. IS it stretched vertically or horizontally? If you play the converted file on your PC with, say WinDVD, and NOT in full screen, it should be a 16:9 playback size with a small black bar top & bottom. Is that how it plays?

Can you post the pic dimentions in the avi and if its PAL or NTSC. Can you list here your avisynth.avs file that D2S generated.

I have attached Gspot info for the file, which is around 1MB as i do not want to run a 3+hr conversion everytime.

So i see that the file is NTSC 576x240 (~2.35:1) (There are no bars on this image)
When I run it through D2S and view a preview frame it looks stretched verticaly. As to say if the preview frame was 720x480 the image has been stretched to 720x352 with even bars on top and bottom. (Just for learnings sake, if the source was to be stretched in proportion shouldnt the NTSC dimensioning be 720x304 with even bars on each side??) Even though…, this seems OK cause if the DVD is going to compress 33% verticaly (4:3) and expand 33% horizontaly (16:9), it would then be more in proportion.

Now, when i burn the outcome and play it on my stand-alone the screen is displaying the whole image with the sides cutoff. 640x480 of the 720x480 image.

OK…ok…ok…O…K!!!

Hence for me to be called the idiot and everyone to call me the idiot!
A lesson learnt by me for all…Make sure you have your DVD settings correct.

My DVD has 3 Video Display settings, 1. 4:3 Pan & Scan, 2. 4:3 Letterbox and 3. 16:9 Widescreen.

If I play my own burnt disc at setting 1. it fills the whole screen and cuts off the sides.
If I play my own burnt disc at setting 2. every thing is A.O.K!
But ChickenMan can you tell me…why does my original Pirates of Caribean play at the correct aspect under both Pan&Scan and Letterbox??? and my own burnt disc doesnt???

Also if people dont want to be placed next to me in the dictionary under the word ‘IDIOT’, make sure the box “Fixed Aspect Ratio” is checked in WinDVD.

Cheers
GRAVITY3479
(It all seems like kindergarten again…Lesson Learnt!)

I was about to say, your problem lies in your DVD Player setup but then you just found that yourself.

I just checked the properties of the main movie VTS_1 (the main movie) with IFOEdit, in my R4 PAL original & its set to Automatic Letterbox. Check what its set in your re-encoded version and set to the same if different.

As for “…As to say if the preview frame was 720x480 the image has been stretched to 720x352 with even bars on top and bottom. (Just for learnings sake, if the source was to be stretched in proportion shouldnt the NTSC dimensioning be 720x304 with even bars on each side??)”, the 720x356 was correct size to maintain exact aspect ratio. Pixel shape is not the same for an AVI and MPEG, see the bottom of the DVD to SVCD Tutorial for the calulations or get a copy of AVIRes from http://www.posunplugged.com/jsoto/tools/ The AR calculations in DVD2SVCD are now based on the calculations within this program.

I now have it sorted mate!
It just overwhelms me sometimes with the different lingo, numbers and settings, but the fun never stops cause i know the next movie i do might be a little different :wink:

Your help is appreciated.

Until next…