Mainstream android streaming media boxes

2015 will probably see major mfg releasing internet streaming media boxes (quad core mini PC w/HDMI) with android OS… (best innovation since android phones & hand-held media players/tablets) there are already generic versions by various mfg using amlogic and rockchip processors along with multi core graphics chips to pump out UHD video…

I was wondering how many of you MYCE’rs out there already have an android streaming media box?

If Google Chromecast counts as an Android streaming media box, then I have had one for a couple of weeks.

I also have an older Boxee Box which is not Android based as far as I know.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2744304]2015 will probably see major mfg releasing internet streaming media boxes (quad core mini PC w/HDMI) with android OS… (best innovation since android phones & hand-held media players/tablets) there are already generic versions by various mfg using amlogic and rockchip processors along with multi core graphics chips to pump out UHD video…

I was wondering how many of you MYCE’rs out there already have an android streaming media box?[/QUOTE]

I have a “Keedox” dual core cpu with built in "XBMC"
The xbmc used to work fine before a firmware upgrade, now it is totally unreliable, asking for all sorts of log in nonsense, now trying to establish a connection to my computer can take ages and then when you want go back to your film stream list it can hang for half an hour, then you have to go through the whole laborious hit and miss process all over again ,it is driving me mad.:doh:

I recently bought a Keedox quad core.
I’m not planning on streaming from the internet as my connection is too slow.
I got the box so I could play an external hard drive to my bedroom flat screen .
The TV has the capability to play some video files but not a Video_TS folder .
Each .vob had to be manually selected & then it looped just that one.
The Keedox can play the whole movie using “XBMC” .
I also wanted h265 capability. This wasn’t in the specs but the Keedox I have will play a h265.mkv . Funny thing the “XBMC” player or the 4K player it came with won’t play the h265.mkv . The more “generic” movie player will.
I tried the VLC beta player for Android but it is a lot different GUI than for a PC.
Not nearly as useful.
Although the remote control that came with it is useful . It has limitations & is a real PITA to use for the onscreen keyboard. So I got a wireless keyboard as suggested by member UTR . I would recommend the same .
Fortunately my MX-500 universal remote could learn from the Keedox remote .
So I can still just use one remote for the TV, Keedox , & DVD player. The MX-500 has a stronger IR signal so it works better than the Keedox remote.

I’m hoping these intel boxes get more competitive & cheaper… I’m so close to actually buying one… I just want a great deal so that 5 weeks later the price isn’t cut by 25% or more for the next greatest thing. People could save at least $10 a month on electricity using a streaming box instead of their computers or laptops as a set-top companion computer (100+ watt average savings multiplied by the hours you would instead use a regular computer).

x265 mkvs use a compression which is way too processor/gpu needy. x264 is the best option right now at HD resolutions. eventually, something will come along to offer 4k video resolutions at a decent bitrate, but 265 isn’t it. I’m hoping Microsoft comes out with one in wmv-uhd format. there’s also a possibility the xml group will create a format in html 5 video to replace flash (flv) once and for all. until I found great player apps, avi was my favorite, now x264/mpeg is…

Of course there is also the scenario where you run both and use even more electricity but I do agree with you and I know what you mean. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]