Mainboard BIOS modding

I have a MSI K7N2-ILSR mainboard. As the R says, there’s a Raid controller (Promise Fastrack 376) onboard. With the standard functionality, the PATA port can’t be used to connect more than one single PATA drive. With a little trick, 2 drives can be used, but not as an array.

As I ordered my second Maxtor 120Gb disk today (already got one), I want to run a RAID 0 configuration.

I found this site telling me this is possible, with a little BIOS mod (the RAID BIOS is crippled by MSI because of some economical reasons so the RAID controller only supports RAID to be used on the SATA ports) it should be possible to unlock the controller’s full potential.

This sounds ofcourse fantastic, but I’m still a little hesitant about this (what if the BIOS doesn’t work and my system won’t boot anymore… that would really suck… wouldn’t it?)…

So, did anybody here try it? Or does anybody here know a safe way to test this?

TIA!

Well, there’s always the backup your BIOS before you fug it up method, but it’s possible that you could kill the ROM w/ a bad flash…

Never like integrated (read value) crap. If I want the extras, I’ll pay for it later in the form of an add-on, which in your case would be a promise raid pci controller. Yes it’s expensive, but at least you can put it on another mobo when the current one goes obsolete. And that is my :Z of the day.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]Well, there’s always the backup your BIOS before you fug it up method, but it’s possible that you could kill the ROM w/ a bad flash…

Never like integrated (read value) crap. If I want the extras, I’ll pay for it later in the form of an add-on, which in your case would be a promise raid pci controller. Yes it’s expensive, but at least you can put it on another mobo when the current one goes obsolete. And that is my :Z of the day. [/B]

That’s right… if you got enough PCI slots…

i did this type of mod a while back with my old Asus A7V, where i flashed the bios to enable RAID on the onboard Promise controllers. i’ve flashed with many modded bios(es?) (what’s the plural for bios?) before on several mobos, and i’ve never had any problems. as long as the modded bios has been tested to work, there shouldn’t be any more risk involved than with flashing to a standard bios.

You can always make a boot disk with backed up BIOS and flasher, and make an autoexec.bat to run if you can’t see. Only problem is you have to know what questions it asks you (filename, yes/no questions about saving, are you sure…). I modded in updated RAID BIOSes for my Gigabyte SINXP, worked fine.

It looks at least that he put a new RAID BIOS in there. Promise doesn’t seem to offer any files for this controller, or any information on it at all for that matter, he must have extracted the RAID BIOS from another board. If you really want it, I say try it.

Normal 1.3 BIOS

Modded BIOS

Thanx guys… I just updated my systems BIOS, attached all HD’s to the onboard RAID controller, reinstalled WinXP and it works like a charm… I got XP running on the main disk, a WD Raptor (10krpm) disc, and 2x Maxtor 120gb 8mb cache in RAID0 on my modded Promise 367 controller… (it’s a TX2 plus SATA150 now).

I’m happy (once again) :slight_smile:

Pretty cool!

I hope for your sake that it will keep running, and without errors! :rolleyes:
I modded my Ati Radeon 9500 128mb to an 9700 (activation of unused pipelines) and it gives me a higher 3dMark score but once every few months my WinXP gives me an error in a certain file I had to mod while patching my Ati. A simple reboot and I’m running again for a few months, so I hope your sys will keep running mate! :slight_smile: