Magnavox DVD Recorder and 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR, ZV457MG9

vbimport

Magnavox DVD Recorder and 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR, ZV457MG9

The above Magnavox VCR/DVDr was online at walmart and was wondering if this would be a good purchase.
I currently own a Panasonic ez47v, which has started to give me problems.

[QUOTE=jaijef72;2474294]Magnavox DVD Recorder and 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR, ZV457MG9

The above Magnavox VCR/DVDr was online at walmart and was wondering if this would be a good purchase.
I currently own a Panasonic ez47v, which has started to give me problems.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned in my response to your descriptions (in another sub-forum) of the problems with your DMR-EZ47V, if your recorder has a failed laser assembly this is the end of that recorder’s problem–it’s time to move beyond the design flaws and bugs of Panasonic EZ series combo recorders. With the current field of “garden-variety” combo recorders there is no good reason not to consider an outstanding Hard Drive/DVD recorder.

I own two of the earlier variants of the Magnavox ZV457MG9 combo recorder. The older variant is the ZV450MW8 manufactured in March 2007, the newer variant is the ZV450MW8A manufactured in August 2008. Both are decent, but overpriced, “garden-variety” combo recorders with good ATSC and clear QAM tuners. Of the two, the “A” version has more user-friendly menus and 12 timer-scheduled programs whereas the non-A version has somewhat clunky menus and only 8 timer-scheduled programs. The “W” in the model name indicates a model is designated for initial sale by WalMart and the “8” is the 2008 model year designation. A letter following the model year designation indicates a design with “minor” revisions.

From what I’ve read the ZV457MG9 is similar to the ZV450MW8A model but adds HDMI output capability, a “major” revision requiring a new model number. The “G” indicates that this product is not exclusive to WalMart, being produced for the general marketplace and the “9” indicates the 2009 model year.

Purchasing “garden-variety” combo recorders that DO NOT HAVE HARD DRIVES is not cost-effective for serious recording or even for dubbing videotaped recordings to DVD.

The Magnavox H2160MW9A HDD/DVD model is much to be preferred to any current model combo recorders. (For dubbing connect your VCR to a 2160 input, transfer the material to the hard drive, edit the material if you like and high-speed dub the material to DVD.) There are more than 30 timer scheduled programs available with the Magnavox 2160.

The Magnavox 2160 may be purchased for as little as $159.99 (including shipping) for “factory refurbished” models through J&R.com (when available), or new models for $228 through walmart.com.

There is a learning curve necessary to use the Magnavox 2160. Many lazy purchasers (with the “I don’t need no stinkin’ Owner’s Manual” mentality) give up learning how to use the 2160 and so hundreds of them are returned in almost new condition. Other purchasers make the effort to learn how to use the 2160 but encounter the 2160 “A” model’s dubbing, formatting, finalizing bug (related to the full-time hard drive recording buffer). Many return these “A” models without so much as visiting the AVS Forum to find that pressing the remote control’s SOURCE button to temporarily select the “L3” setting is the workaround for this bug. These 2160 returns have usually had little use.

My three 2160 “refurbs” arrived in almost new condition. (One of my “refurbs” was used almost entirely as a DVD player, a no-no for informed users that prefer to use a dedicated [I]DVD player [/I]to [I]play[/I] DVDs–and doing so prolongs the useful life of the 2160 recorder’s laser assembly.) Upon arrival one of my 2160 models had been powered on for 9 hours with no laser write time and 14 minutes of laser read time; another had been powered on 12 hours with no laser write time and 6 minutes of laser read time; and another had been powered on 296 hours with 31 minutes of laser write time and 5:08 hours of laser read time.

If you will do some reading–[I]start with the first post in Wajo’s sticky thread[/I]–you will find that post is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning the Magnavox 2160 and earlier 2080 and Philips 3575 and 3576 hard drive recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

I bought a ZV450MW8 refurb at Big Lots black friday sale last year for $79.99 + tax.
It’s been a good unit for what I use it for.Recording from OTA digital TV or Dish sat box.
To both DVD & VHS.Player for DVD & VHS.
My one complaint is with the digital tuner.You can’t delete subchannels for a channel.
Only the channel with all of its’ subchannels.

I just found out why some visitors to Wajo’s sticky thread (currently with around 7,800 posts and more than 647,000 views) don’t find the first post’s Table of Contents. Some visitors have the settings display the most recent post at the top of the thread. In any event the “first post” with the Table of Contents may be accessed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12244086#post12244086

That’s the starting place for those wishing to be an informed purchaser.

I post more often in AVS Panasonic threads giving advice on keeping the great older ES and EH series models functional. While I own several EZ series models, I seldom recommend these models.

I’m also a Mangnavox and Phiips HDD/DVD user. Only one of my non-hard drive Magnavox models is currently set up for use. I post now and then in the AVS Magnavox/Philips threads and some topical threads.

I’m not very active in this Forum as there is only a 30 minute window for editing/revising posts. That leads to the perpetuation of errors and misinformation that others may view, never looking beyond in order to find corrections that may or may not be posted at a later time.

I should also mention that Funai manufactures other variants under different brand names, Philips, Sylvania, TruTech, Emerson just to name a few.

I also owned a Sylvania ZV450SL8 of July 2007 manufacture. While this Sylvania was a sleeker-styled version that might seem to be similar to the Magnavox there were some important differences. The Magnavox supported + and - media but the Sylvania was - only. The Magnavox had the very useful SPP 2.5 hour per DVD speed but the Sylvania did not. The Magnavox supported the Make Recordings Compatible feature that allowed swapping unfinalized discs between other Magnavox and Philips recorders but the Sylvania did not support that feature (even though the that feature name appears in the set up menu). Most importantly the Sylvania’s clear QAM tuner ceased to be functional after brief use. My Sylvania ZV450SL8 was set up for ATSC reception for a short time and then was given away.

More on Funai recorder model coding–The “M” following the numbers indicates the Magnavox brand. The “S” following the numbers indicates the Sylvania brand. A Sylvania recorder with an “L” is produced for initial sale through Sears or KMart. A Sylvania with a “G” is produced for the general marketplace. TruTech recorders are variants of the Sylvania specifications, features (or lack thereof) with “T” model designations.

Funai numbering also indicates the type of recorder and whether the recorder is tuner equipped. The 300 series designates DVD recorders. The 320 series numbering indicates a tunerless DVD recorder; the 350 series numbering indicates a DVD recorder with a tuner. The 400 series designates combo recorders. The 420 series numbering indicates tunerless combo recorders; the 450 series numbering indicates combo recorders with tuners.

For Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders the last three numerical digits indicate the hard drive size, 160 indicates a 160GB hard drive, 080 indicates a 80GB hard drive.

Emerson recorders are named differently, beginning with an “E” and “EW” indicates those Emerson recorders produced for initial sale through WalMart. Additional Emerson letter coding indicates recorder type, i.e., DVD recorder, combo recorder, hard drive recorder.

Philips models were originally built by Philips. Philips used their own numbering system that was continued when Funai took over manufacture of Philips recorders. Philips recorders are no longer produced for the US market.

So if I buy a Magnavox H2160MW9A HDD/DVD can i record from the Direct TV satellite system to the HDD orr DVD?

[B]Any[/B] DVD recorder, combo recorder or HDD/DVD recorder should record from Direct TV through RF, composite or S-Video inputs. Through these inputs all recording will be analog Standard Definition. The only recording restriction might be if Direct TV uses some [I]copy protection scheme[/I]. This is a consideration with [B]any[/B] DVD recorder, combo recorder or HDD/DVD recorder.

If you are interested in High Definition time-shifting without the capability to record to removable media B [/B]you should consider a DVR provided by Direct TV.