MagicSpin DVDRW 8x DD0401 not optorite?

I bought a MagicSpin (I/O Magic) DVD +/- RW 8x a few weeks back. The drive inside says on the label “DD0401, made by Accesstek” so far, so good.

As far as I know, Optorite is Accesstek’s own brand, but most of accesstek product are sold to OEMs. I noticed immediately that the front bezel doesn;t lok at all like the optorite DD0401. The optorite has this curvy futuristic look shape, while this magicspin drive looks more conventional, like the DD0203.

I am assuming that the accesstek OEM drives look different than the optorite, even if the internals are the same or almost the same.

The firmware included in the drive was 110E. After installing the drive in a Biostar M7NCD Pro (Nforce 2 ultra 400) with Athlon XP 2500+ , win xP home SP1 running NForce IDE drivers I noticed that burning to CD was 16x at max using Nero 5.5.10.42… I thought the burner was capable of 24X. Updating the Nero to 5.5.10.54 jumped the drive speed to 24 in Cd, but not more. Roxio CD & DVD creator also capped at 24x for CD.

Burning to the included RiData DVD+RW 4X maxed at 3X… reading horro stories about the Nforce drivers made me rol the driver back to the MS, but result was the same… 24X max for CD.

Looking at the accesstek website I found firmware 130E and 130i, as well as 120E. I read here before that 130i kills HD-burn, and I was unable to flash to 130E. So I just updated to 120E.

CD burning remained the same, and DVD burning didn’t get any better… :frowning: I thought that the IDE port was the problem.

Last week I got a cendyne 52x external (LTR-52246S), took the CD-RW out of the case and put the DD0401 inside. Testing the new external burner in the USB 2.0 case on the desktop gave me the same previous results… CD at 24X, DVD+RW 3X…
I tried the burner also on my eMachines M6805 laptop (Mobile Athlon 64 3000+, K8T800, mobility radeon 9600, 7K60, win2K SP4) Same familiar results… CD at 24X max, DVD+RW at 3X max…

After all the descriptions, here are my questions:

• Why the slow speeds? It didn’t matter IDE or USB 2.0, it is burning slow.
  • Are this iomagic and the optorite DD0401 the same drive in the internals, but with a different shaped front bezel?
  • What is the latest firmware available for the drive?
  • Can I upgrade the frimware with the drive in the enclosure, or do I need to get in in a IDE connector?
  • Can I make the firmware 130E flash the drive somehow?

Thanks

Alex

I don’t have much help to offer but here is a few thoughts.

24x CD-R: most likely you are using CD-R discs that this drive only supports at 24x. Try other higher quality discs.

Slow DVD+RW: That is strange, you are using 4x DVD+RW media?

Updating firmware problem: Could be related to the nforce IDE drivers (if you still had them installed when trying to update). I’m not sure if Optorite’s firmware upgraders support USB devices. You may try and see.

Yes, tho only difference between this drive and a real optorite should be the front bezel (and maybe a different drive name in the firmware?).

Thanks for the reply:

CD-R burning at 24X… I already tried Imation (CMC) 32x that burn at 48X in a BTC IM5224/LTR-52246S, Memorex 48X (Taiyo Yuden) that burn at 52x in the mentioned burners, and Fuji 48X (TY also…)

I think you solved the firmware upgrade problem… this drive is seen by the BIOS as “Generic DVDRW 8X”… well, I guess I need to get the .bin file of the 130e firmware…

DVD+RW was a 4X, ridata… not tried DVD+R or -R, but I will tonight.

Alex

its an optorite. bezzel doesn’t matter. Companies can make custom bezzels (take a look at the sony 530a its an optorite too from what i hear)

ive seen that same drive come out of a Digital Research box (says generic 8x too)

Confirmed as Optorite, but with a stripped down firmware:

• DVD ripping at 1X max!!!

I guess I made a mistake buying this thing :frowning:

I’ve burned CDr’s at 40x with my IOMagic Magicspin dd0401 and ripped DVD’s at its full speed, much more than 1x.

Are you trying to create an HDBurn CD, if so that will only burn at 24x, normal cd burn should be at 40x depending on media.

Originally posted by kgatwork
[B]I’ve burned CDr’s at 40x with my IOMagic Magicspin dd0401 and ripped DVD’s at its full speed, much more than 1x.

Are you trying to create an HDBurn CD, if so that will only burn at 24x, normal cd burn should be at 40x depending on media. [/B]

What firmware version?
What CD media are you using to burn at 40x?
Ripping Encrypted or decrypted DVD?

I am suspecting either defective drive or firmware…

Thanks

Originally posted by AlexRuiz
[B]What firmware version?
What CD media are you using to burn at 40x?
Ripping Encrypted or decrypted DVD?

I am suspecting either defective drive or firmware…

Thanks [/B]

Had FW 1.20E burning cheapo Memorex CMC and RITEK media, currently using FW 1.30D that I got from the MSI website that still supports HDBurn.

Burned vcd and svcd and ISO’s in addition to HDBurned data backups. Also ripped DVD-9 retail DVD’s using dvddecrypter.

Hope this helps.

I tried to flash firmware 130D from MSI and it killed the drive… Now I’ll have to recover it :frowning:

Sorry about the bad flash, did you try going to the I/O magic website forums and see the thread on how to flash the msi FW? I think you should be able to recover from the flash with the old 120e fw.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by kgatwork
[B]Sorry about the bad flash, did you try going to the I/O magic website forums and see the thread on how to flash the msi FW? I think you should be able to recover from the flash with the old 120e fw.

Good Luck. [/B]

I tried based on what I read on the IOmagic forums… mine was on a USB 2.0 enclosure, and at 95% it hanged and the drive was dropped from the device manager. Drive is dead like a rock, so no way to flash back as the drive is not seen anymore.

I guess I’ll need some other help

Alex

Originally posted by AlexRuiz
[B]I tried based on what I read on the IOmagic forums… mine was on a USB 2.0 enclosure, and at 95% it hanged and the drive was dropped from the device manager. Drive is dead like a rock, so no way to flash back as the drive is not seen anymore.

I guess I’ll need some other help

Alex [/B]

Did you try taking it out of the enclosure and connecting it to the secondary IDE channel on a regular desktop system?