Made in Where?

vbimport

Hey everyone,

It’s been a while since I had to buy some blank media, but I wanted to refresh my memory about some things.

First of all I used to buy Verbatim disks, usually the 16x kind. I just checked my MIDs and they were MCC’s. But I can’t recall from where they were made.

I know I could buy some Taiyo Yuden’s online, but for now at least I would like to get some disks locally. Can someone point to me what I should be looking for when looking for Verbatim disks again? I don’t mind them being 8x or 16x, since I usually burn at 8x.

I know some may say only get the ones from Taiwan, or India, or such. I know that I should avoid the white label “Life” series, as those are CMC.

Thank you everyone.

Finding good Verbatim in my local shops is an exercise in frustration. The last one that used to have them in my area was Best Buy, but their selection of blank dvds is only a fraction of what it once was. The only Verbatim they had were the “Life Series”, and a couple of boxes of the old Movie Reel -R dvds. Nothing wrong with the latter, but the price was outrageous.

If buying locally look for AZO on the packaging. This will be the “real” Verbatim. Taiwan or India, I don’t think it matters at this stage.

I ran out of daily use media not too long ago and bought a 100 ct cakebox of 16x -R Verbatim at Amazon. These were made in Taiwan. It was $18.63 (and I happened to have free shipping). You may not find that price locally.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2672931]Finding good Verbatim in my local shops is an exercise in frustration. The last one that used to have them in my area was Best Buy, but their selection of blank dvds is only a fraction of what it once was. The only Verbatim they had were the “Life Series”, and a couple of boxes of the old Movie Reel -R dvds. Nothing wrong with the latter, but the price was outrageous.

If buying locally look for AZO on the packaging. This will be the “real” Verbatim. Taiwan or India, I don’t think it matters at this stage.

I ran out of daily use media not too long ago and bought a 100 ct cakebox of 16x -R Verbatim at Amazon. These were made in Taiwan. It was $18.63 (and I happened to have free shipping). You may not find that price locally.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. When you purchased it on Amazon did you happen to look specifically for the AZO version?

Yes, the pictures of the cakeboxes show the AZO designation and the descriptions of the discs will also include it (AZO is the type of dye used in them). Looks like that sale is over now however, as the price has jumped $10.