Made-in-Japan Wi-Fi blocking paint

While this sounds most unneighborly, since it means your nosy-parker neighbors can’t piggyback off your wireless connection anytime, the Japanese haven’t done this just to up their rep for wacky innovations.

Link: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/01/29/wi-fi-blocking-paint-by-the-japanese/?scid=nl_c_cg

:cool::cool:

It’s a great invention … no longer can your 12oclock flasher neighbours configure their “leading edge” 802.11b wifi routers to use channel 4 or 8 and screw up your maximum bandwidth due to interference.

They can do what they want - /me just wishes you could paint 12oclock flashers houses with it … in case it’s toxic :slight_smile:

People with advanced alzheimers disease have excessive build up of aluminum in the brain. It should probably be sealed off with a really good top cover, just in case.

People are surrounded by aluminum in VAST quantites because it is literally one of the most plentiful elements on the planet, yes relatively few people suffer alzheimers.

Alzheimers patients bodies deal with aluminum differently, but blaming alumnum for alzheimers is like blaming water for causing cancer because tumors are nearly 80% water.

AD

Like one person mentioned below the story, I wonder if it would affect other signals, especially mobile phone reception where the upper band is not far off Wi-Fi’s frequency. I.e. Wi-Fi operates around 2.4GHz, where as GSM mobile phone base stations usually operate around 1.8GHz (1.9GHz in US) in built up areas.

Another drawback with the paint is that if a neighbour lives directly across the street from the house, the paint does little to protect signal leakage out windows. I doubt the paint comes in a transparent colour for Windows. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Seán;2211248]Another drawback with the paint is that if a neighbour lives directly across the street from the house, the paint does little to protect signal leakage out windows. I doubt the paint comes in a transparent colour for Windows. :p[/QUOTE]
The vast majority of the signal is blocked. The signal coming through the window will disperse, and hence be small in magnitude.

At any rate, the interference problem is more likely to come from neighbours above, beside and below you in an apartment building (due to close proximity & hence high amplitude signal), more-so than a neighbour across a street, or the house next door.

The paint’s really a high density city thing :wink:

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2211230]People are surrounded by aluminum in VAST quantites because it is literally one of the most plentiful elements on the planet, yes relatively few people suffer alzheimers.

Alzheimers patients bodies deal with aluminum differently, but blaming alumnum for alzheimers is like blaming water for causing cancer because tumors are nearly 80% water.

AD[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. It is odd that people with Alzheimers have such a build up of aluminum, which actually came into widespread use after WW2. I don’t blame aluminum for Alzheimers but the correlation between cancer and water is way off. There is some kind of relationship that causes these people to hold onto this metal which cannot and has not been disregarded. Just happened to have had to deal with a In law, extremely loved Grandmother that passed from advanced Alzheimers, she ended up in a full fetal position at the great old age of 89 years old. She had the aluminum build up also, though nobody knows why.

I would be leery of putting any metal based paint on the wall, after all lead was considered safe for decades if not a century.

I wonder if a screen not unlike those used in front of microwave oven glass to disperse the microwave would work?

If you want anecdotal counterpoints in Italy and France they make far more use of aluminum cookware than they do here in North America, in france and italy they make little use of the non stick coatings that are the norm here in the US.

Yet wonder of wonders worldwide the french have nearly the lowest incidence of Alzheimers.

Mabey because the french aren’t smearing aluminum based chemicals into their armpits… like many americans do…

I’d be much more inclined to blame anti-persiprants for alzheimers than environmental exposure to aluminum.

IIRC aluminum is the third most abundant element in the earth’s crust (Behind Oxygen as #1 and Silicon as #2) and THE most abundant metal, you cannot escape it, a random handful of dirt is 8% aluminum by weight.

The health scare over aluminum in regards to alzheimer’s Disease
is yet another example of a little knowledge allows people to reach erroneous conclusions.

AD