Made a harddrive backup, but cannot restore

vbimport

I made a harddrive backup to a disc some days ago, now I need to restore the backup…

Firstly is that it want to restore in DOS, which I absolutely DON’T want to do…

Secondly is that it has made a .dat file, which Nero BackItUp restore can’t read…

Any advice on how to open / restore the .dat file in Windows XP??

/BlackChart

I think it works only in dos mode. You will make a boot cd rom disc(get a cdrw disc for this purpose) and choo nero boot loader as the boot image. Then use this disc to boot from cdrom(check the boot options in your mobo bios). After starts boot from cdrom, at some point it will ask you if you want to load nero restore. Answer yes. You ll figure out the rest yourself. If you have done already so, but it cant restore it, it might be the case that the cd containing the backup data is corrupted. Try to read it in every cd device you have, or try to make a copy of it under windows then use the copy for the restore process.

It works in dos mode only if the drive you backup contains the active operating system i.e its the drive that contains Windows XP from within which you work with Nero.

However i get the feeling that this is not the only cause of problems. The cdrom discs(or dvd-r discs) you used for backup have been corrupted or arent readable under normal circumstances. Try to copy them to other good disks or get isobuster and try to recover what you can. www.isobuster.com

I can read the CD, no problem at all there…

The problem is that I’m NOT, under any circumstances, interested in overwriting any of my harddrives…I only need to get all the .doc files out of the backup…

Originally posted by BlackChart
[B]I can read the CD, no problem at all there…

The problem is that I’m NOT, under any circumstances, interested in overwriting any of my harddrives…I only need to get all the .doc files out of the backup… [/B]

I am not sure that you will be able to do that. If you backup a whole drive and not specific directories, then you restore to a whole drive.

A trick you may try , you could map a network drive to a directory of a harddisk that has enough space , and then restore the data to the network drive. Then you may select the files you want.

Originally posted by DGK30
A trick you may try , you could map a network drive to a directory of a harddisk that has enough space , and then restore the data to the network drive. Then you may select the files you want.

The restore’ll run in DOS mode, I only have network in Windows…

Upgrade to the most recent version of nero 6.3.1.6, maybe restore will work under windows.

It’s not Nero that’ll restore in DOS…
It’s the program Nero put on the CD…
Nero itself can’t read the .dat file…

Hm yes yes , restoring whole drives works only in dos mode…I am afraid cant help with this.

On second thought you can use Partition Magic to make a new partition to a hard drive with enough space(to fit the backup data), then boot with nero backup and restore to the new partition.
It isnt straight forward and within windows, but if you desparately want the .doc files…
More straight forward to plug in a new hard drive and restore there.(again from dos).

At the moment i dont know of any program that works in windows and recognizes nero .dat files.