MadDog 16x Burner (aka NEC ND-3500A) @ CompUSA

vbimport

I thought this would get alot more attention in this forum instead of the bargain basement. I know alot of people are hoping to snag a 3500 before they all run out so here it is. (They are discontinued btw)

$80 - $30 rebate = $50 after rebate

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314998&pfp=srch1&ref=dsr

The only issue someone might have with this is that the rebate is through maddog which is notorious for slow rebates, BUT they DO come.

I would get this if I wasn’t happy with my BenQ DW1620A already :cool: and my goody oldy ND-2500A

in store only…

Why don’t buy the same drive which in fact is NEC 3500 from www.newegg.com for around $50tish and you don’t have todeal with rebate hasseling either.

Why don’t buy the same drive which in fact is NEC 3500 from www.newegg.com for around $50tish and you don’t have todeal with rebate hasseling either.

Because Maddog has a two year warranty and has helped the NEC users with bittsetting firmwares that they actually support.

I think the problem with that is like everyone has been saying is that no one has any 3500s. :eek:
At Newegg they don’t even have any refurbished NEC but they don’t have a shortage of Plextor refurbished if you want of them. :eek: :smiley:

I just got the Mad Dog Burner from Comp USA on saturday. I was looking for the 3520A but they did not have the A2 version of the Mad Dog so I got what I thought, I was getting which is the 3500. Well I got home plugged it up and found out it was the A2 which is the 3520. Flashed the drive with Liggys 1.05U and now its the 3520A, works great, much better then the liteon 1633S that I have.

-Troy

@ Troy1x ,

Just to clarify.
You are saying you bought the MD-16XDVD9 packaging and it had the MD-16XDVD9A2 drive inside?

Correct

thanks

So… even this deal doesn’t guarantee a 3500. :slight_smile:

It seems that NEC abandons old models immediately after they introduce a new model. Maybe it’s the smartest way to save money.

I bought one Sunday and it was a 3500, went back this AM and got one for my son and it was a 3520, same package as the 3500.

my apologies for causing any confusion. i had no idea they started putting in 3520s instead of the 3500s.

anyhow, if you’re really desperate to find out what drive you have before breaking the tape, you can open the box through the bottom. it’s easy enough to do in the car and you can return it right away if you’re not happy with your purchase.

But wait isn’t it comp that has that 15% restocking fee? :eek:

theres no mention of a restocking fee on their website

http://www.compusa.com/terms.asp#in-store

Maybe its just something they do in the store or in New York. :confused:
But I know thats one of the main reason that I say away from them. :eek:

I think you don’t have to feel sorry. :slight_smile:
In fact, I initiated this deal yesterday and I clearly mentioned the possible confusion. So a faithful reader (who reads most of the threads) would have been ready for it.

It is no surprise because the spec in CompUsa website indicates that it is a 3520.
Insteading of feeding Mag Dog the right product = 3500, NEC just decided to pack 3520 instead. That’s my guess. In most circumstances, it’s a benifit to the sellers and customers because it’s a new model. But the comparison between 3500 vs 3520 is so subtle… so it may be an exception.

You are saying you bought the MD-16XDVD9 packaging and it had the MD-16XDVD9A2 drive inside?

Correct

Surely that is breaking the law or something.

The box says “Actual product may differ from the image on the front and back of this box.”

And the new product meets or exceeds the specifcations on the packaging. 4X±RW so I don’t think it is illegal.

Nowhere on the box does it mention whether it is a ND-3500 or a ND3530.

Yep, you mean 3520 though :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, Wes I do. I also spoke with Mad Dog, and apart from being a little sketchy until I cornered them about it being an NEC drive they admitted that the 3500 was being phased out and they couldn’t get them anymore. Also, I just thought I’d mention at least they aren’t switching vendors to BenQ or TSST or ugh Artec and leaving the packaging the same. It is still an NEC drive.