Mad Dog external 16x

vbimport

I tried searching for answers to a couple of questions I had about these drives but am still unsure about what I’ve come up with. Can someone please clarify them for me?

The MD-16XDVD9-EXT is an NEC 3500 and the MD-16XDVD9A2-EXT is the NEC 3250?

And are they easily flashable to the modified firmwares found here? This I’m more unsure about than my first question.

I’m asking because my brother is looking for a DVD+/-RW drive and I thought I’d look some things up for him. I also have a question about the external IO Magic possibly being a BenQ 1620 but I’ll post that in the right forum. I myself will be getting a Plex later on. He’s looking to spend less.

BTW, both of these drives would be better than a Sony DRX-720/710 UL?

Well I did a search for 16XDVD9-EXT and MD-16XDVD9A2, well I think maybe surprised to find your question has been answered before. :slight_smile:

Yes, they mention the internal Mad Dogs are NEC. I assumed the external versions would be the same but those threads and others I’ve found don’t actually confirm that. So I just was asking if anyone could do so.

They also don’t mention if the external Mad Dogs could be flashed to the modified NEC firmwares. I assume that would be better, though I see that Mad Dog has some firmware and even a booktype utility on their webpage. Maybe the modified ones are not necessary?

Just trying to make sure I get my facts straight before I let my brother know. :cop: That way things will be easy for him.

Yes, yes. I believe the Sony 710 is a LiteOn. My vote is for the NEC.

@ redssandvb,
The MD-16XDVD9-EXT is an NEC 3500, same as the internal. I had one.
Yes you can flash them to NEC drive with binflash but I see no reason to unless you want to use the modified firmwares.
I now have the internal model MD-16XDVD9 and I have flashed it back and forth several times to try the modded firmwares but have always come back to Mad Dog 2.FC
The External model being USB 2.0 may not reach 16x burn speed.
It didn’t on my machine, it’s kind of a cheapo enclosure.
That is why I traded it back for the internal.

Thanks guys.

max i was able to get with no other usb devices plugged in was 13x so i pulled it out and made it internal… it hits 16x now :slight_smile:
put my 2500 in the enclosure and it never has a problem

13x…wow, I was thinking it’d be closer to 15x or so. Oh well. Thanks.

with a laser printer and a ups plugged in it was between 10 and 11. usb parcels the bandwidth among devices