Mad Dog Dominator 6-in-1 Dual 8x Internal IDE DVD+/-R, +/-RW Drive at Compusa

I just found this deal at CompUSA today. The Mad Dog is actually a NEC 2500 drive and it’s only $79 after rebate. $109 store sale and then a $30 mail in rebate. This drive really rocks. I just burned some garbage media at 8x with amazing results. You can read all about it in the NEC forum.

Originally posted by Seahawk
I just found this deal at CompUSA today. The Mad Dog is actually a NEC 2500 drive and it’s only $79 after rebate. $109 store sale and then a $30 mail in rebate. This drive really rocks. I just burned some garbage media at 8x with amazing results. You can read all about it in the NEC forum.
Which garbage media burns at 8x?

The following is the media info from DVDInfo. I had mixed results with this media on my Liteon 851s, but on the NEC I got faster speeds and better burn quality.

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID 001
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Originally posted by Seahawk
[B]The following is the media info from DVDInfo. I had mixed results with this media on my Liteon 851s, but on the NEC I got faster speeds and better burn quality.

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID 001
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1 [/B]

Looks like the “Platinum (Ben Cole)” DVD+R 4x media Micro Center sells for $.79 each in 25 pk spindles (or $.69 each if you buy 4 or more spindles). I’ve written a few on my 411s (FS0G). The results weren’t impressive, but were passable and played ok on my standalone. I haven’t tried with any other firmware or since I ran the zmod on it so I don’t know if results will change. I may try a few over the weekend, maybe even hack the firmware for 8x.

I bought one of these units from Comp USA since I am happy with my firewire 2500A for my laptop.

It is working quite well though it made one coaster but I am using crap media for sure…just messing around.

The rebate require a web registration that takes a couple minutes and is no real problem.

Installation was a breeze. Took three minutes to be up and running.