Mad dog 3500 will burn everything but my 2X princo starlogic disc's

Ok, my new 3500 will burn:

ridata 8X -R’s

CMC mag’s + and - R’s

but it refuses to burn my el-cheapo starlogic 2X princo disc’s.

Is anyone else have the same mis-fortune that I’m having or is my 3500 borderline?

Firmware was 2.F6 and is now 2.F8, both have the same problem.

By the way, my nec 2500 and Liteon 811 could burn these disgusting disc’s

No need to reply to this note anymore…I’ve boxed up the NEC3500 and sent it back to it’s creator.

As new drives come out they should make sure they have increased not decreased their media support.

even my crappy btc 1004 would burn these princo disc’s.

NEC should really try harder, I don’t think they are serious about making DVD-RW drives.

Actually, my optorite DD0401 to DD0405 has been the stalwart writer in my arsenal. I think the sanyo chip set does a better job at creating good compatible discs…100% of the time.

Cheers. :cool:

I don’t think Princo are serious about making DVD-R(W) discs :iagree:

I knew that statement would evoke emotions! :cop:

I only have one Princo DVD-RW, but from all the reports I’ve already read I couldn’t prevent commenting on this :wink:

ummm those starlogic are actually 1x discs but since none of the burners go that slow (including nec2500) they are burned at 2x. those discs do not have a very long lifespan so i hope you are not looking for anything but temporary storage with them.

as you can see the only write descriptor is 1x:
Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID PRINCO
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name SHREK
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 2/ 3/2004 11:12:30
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22E26Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

These graphs are not directy comparable in the bottom graph the po vs pif you have to divide the po by 8 to equal pif so 32=4 24=3 16=2 and 8=1 old vs new. so in the new graph the end which goes to 20 would actually be 160 in the old graph and yes this disc is completely unreadable as you can see the pifailures has increased by 3 TIMES IN 9 MONTHS

in both graphs you can see these discs burn wildly out of spec.
dvd spec old graph is pi <=280 po<=32 (anything over 5 could be an unreadable spot)
dvd spec new graph is pi <=280 and pif <=4

here is the scan 9 months ago and then again today… do you want to trust you stuff to this?

I am pretty sure he is pulling our chain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Those princo disc’s are absolute junk! When I throw away a disc, I like to destroy them by breaking them. I usually put on welders gloves and fold them in half until they snap.

Well, these starlogic disc actually don’t break like normal disc’s. They separate layers, the top surface with the reflective layer appears to be some sort of post consumer recycled garbage i.e. paper.

These princo discs are a joke!

I’d burn Pringles potato chips in my DVD burner before I’d burn Princo media.

Princo is the new politically correct replacement word of ‘crap’.
NEC3k5 is one of the best DVD±RWs your money can buy at the moment.

…and you’ve chosen - against all evidence found on the net - to send back the drive, and being proud of yourself, advertisng this fact here, in the NEC forum. Man, you are really losing your marbles. Good luck with the discs, you deserve them.

I found a half used 50 pack of those Starlogic’s i guess i bought them at compusa yr or so back, burning @2x with no problems…must of been a moron, good riddens anyway laser boy

LOL! :iagree:

Hey, I’ve got more brains in my left nut than you’ll ever have in your lumpy noggin budgirlyman.

hey, what version of firmware did you use for your 2500A to burn the starlogic?? what about the firmware for 811S?

I got them in OfficeMax, and man… they sucked. I have CompUSA discs, Princo as well, and those are better than the StarLogic, that’s how bad those discs are for me.

My LiteOn can’t burn them correctly until firmware version FS0J @ 1X(has to hack to get 1X, default is 2X). Recently used Codeguys’ tool to clear the eeprom and use FS0K(default, no hack/strategy swap) to burn at 2X, still has issue at end of disc, but much much better.

For my BTC 1004IM (as well as my friends, we have same drive), it refuse to burn them correctly until firmware version 0049, still has high failure rate. In fact, just today, I flashed the drive to 0151 and use hex editor to try to edit the firmware and burn it using Princo 8X strategy @ 2X and 1X.

I tried with 2500A… obviously, no luck. So if you can offer any clue, I’m happy.

flame off already… you admitted that those starlogic discs suck. you may want to ask them to send your 3500 back since anything that is a decent disc will burn very well with it

True, but that doesn’t give ANYONE the authority to call me a MORON. So you as an unbiased moderator should have told the instigator to “flame off already” first, end of topic.

My new MadDog NEC 3500 does in fact burn the starlogic disc’s. The old one had a track seek error and just couldn’t do it.

Out of 4 NEC recorders (one 1300a, two - 2500a and one 3500) 2 have failed (or been borderline) out of the box (one 2500 and the 3500).

Just unlucky or are they :frowning: ?

How many drives do I have?

2 - Accesstek DD0401
1 - Liteon 811s
1 - Liteon 851s
1 - NEC 1300a
2 - NEC 2500a
1 - NEC 3500a
2 - BTC 1004
1 - Pioneer DVR-105

All work very well and produce usable disc’s in all of my players / computers and all of my friends and family’s computers and players.

LOL! alrighty then Darwinism didnt work on this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I don’t think hardware applies when talking about Darwin. But certain replies, however, do :iagree: .

This is one of my Starlogic Princo burns at 2x. I’ve only burned a few of these, but this is a typical burn from them (burned on a NEC 1300). I have a few year-old burns, and they still test out fine, the discs aren’t deteriorating. Not the lowest PI numbers, but very respectable and VERY consistent to the edge of the disc. They’re some of the better looking scans on my Liteon drive that I’ve done :p, so they’ve been great for me.

People love to hate CMC as well, but my CMCs are burning better than even my RICOHJPN R01s:

One of my CMC R01s, 2.4x media burned at 4x on my 2500 (this is what a typical burn of this media at 4x looks like):

So people continue to claim that CMC and Princo are utterly worthless, while myself and others magically use it with no problems at all. My +R CMC media, in particular, has burned VERY well for me over the last ~18 months.

Yo-

My 3500 would not burn Princo 2x either-

I threw away the Princos and kept the 3500 - best decision I have ever made-

Mike