Macrovision protection (Panasonic DIGA DMR-EH60D)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DIGA DMR-EH60D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]If I am not supposesd to post this I apologise in advance, but please don’t do what they did in the English AV Forums where I have just been given a lifetime ban for posting this message and can’t even access the web site now as a visitor!

I live in the UK and own a Panasonic dmreh60d rgion 2 DVD recorder and would like to transfer all my collection of old VCR films and television series to DVD to save space and dump the VCR.

The trouble is some of them won’t record due to what I believe to be “Macrovision protection”.

I don’t know this is a taboo subject on this forum, and I don’t want to fall foul of the moderator, but am I allowed to ask if I could resolve this problem by buying a device called a Macromaster box (not a SCART lead) which has two SCART connections which should be be connected between the VCR and the DVD recorder and also a mains lead for powering it.

I have read so many conflicting reports on this subject on the web that I don’t know what to believe, and I would hate to spend up to £50 on something that might be useless!

That’s a word I haven’t heard in some time “Macrovision” wow. But from looking at the specs it seems like your system is standalone cd/dvd player. Have you thought of investing in a unit that has both cd/dvd and VHS combined player and tried to backup your VHS movies that way? I don’t know if Macrovision will affect the copy if you go this route maybe someone who has done it might have more input them me. I would check those cd/dvd/vhs combined standalone and see what they have to offer you. Here we assume you own the cd/dvd/vhs media only the MOD will have the final say on copyright and legal matters. I don’t live in UK so I can tell you what products there would best suit your backing up your VHS to DVD. I myself would do that just to prevent it from degrading on the VHS. But also did you check to see if they didn’t remaster and release your VHS onto DVD as well? I know it involves buying a DVD media but your at least guarantee it will last at longer then the VHS media.

You have to have what is called a video stabilizer in between the VCR & the unit you are recording to. It’s the video you have to worry about, not the audio, (the audio, you can plug in directly). You would come out of the VCR into the video stabilizer, out of the video stabilizer into the recording unit. Be careful, because there were a lot of products out there that said they did this, but a lot didn’t work. It’s been so long I don’t have any names or links for you, but maybe somebody will come along with some.

This Grex is widely available and reports show users are pleased.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

The Sima CT product line had excellent reviews but is difficult to find and often shows on websites as “unavailable”.

Thanks to everybody who answered my post.

Sima is the only one I know of that was sold in retail stores in the US (excluding high end professional stuff anyway) which is why they get mentioned often. Macrovision sued them (it never went to court), but sima pulled their units off the market. It was rumored that they would be sold online under a different name. While I cannot positively confirm it, this unit
http://www.allaboutadapters.com/3divienst.html
Is identical to my ct-200 in every respect, down the the size and shape of the vents, markings, switches and ports etc. I’m not saying its the best, just that its available. The price seems about right too. The sima units were retailing for about 90$ (got mine for 50$ if I recall right on sale and with rebate at compusa, but the reuglar price was 80-90$).

I would try searching the forums for the word “sima”. This has actually been asked many times and you will probably find lots of other threads that mention other units so you can see what your options are. If you want to go with more expensive units (like 150-250 USD or more), try searching on videohelp’s forums. I know at least a few cheaper units (under 50$) have been mentioned here so try searching sima or perhaps try searching vhs.

[QUOTE=ripit;2156233]Sima is the only one I know of that was sold in retail stores in the US (excluding high end professional stuff anyway) which is why they get mentioned often. Macrovision sued them (it never went to court), but sima pulled their units off the market. It was rumored that they would be sold online under a different name. While I cannot positively confirm it, this unit
http://www.allaboutadapters.com/3divienst.html
Is identical to my ct-200 in every respect, down the the size and shape of the vents, markings, switches and ports etc. I’m not saying its the best, just that its available. The price seems about right too. The sima units were retailing for about 90$ (got mine for 50$ if I recall right on sale and with rebate at compusa, but the reuglar price was 80-90$).

I would try searching the forums for the word “sima”. This has actually been asked many times and you will probably find lots of other threads that mention other units so you can see what your options are. If you want to go with more expensive units (like 150-250 USD or more), try searching on videohelp’s forums. I know at least a few cheaper units (under 50$) have been mentioned here so try searching sima or perhaps try searching vhs.[/QUOTE]

That’s good and all but if it’s not available in the UK then the OP can’t do much about getting one.

You can also bypass macrovision with units such as the ADS Pyro AV link, and the Canopus ADVC series units.

I guess SIMA changed there name …:bigsmile: That unit look IDENTICAL to the Sima CT-200 :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=pappyon;2155682]If I am not supposesd to post this I apologise in advance, but please don’t do what they did in the English AV Forums where I have just been given a lifetime ban for posting this message and can’t even access the web site now as a visitor!

I don’t know this is a taboo subject on this forum, and I don’t want to fall foul of the moderator, but am I allowed to ask if I could resolve this problem…[/QUOTE]Just to answer this question directly - the bottom line is that we can help you to make back-ups of commercial stuff you have paid for. :slight_smile: