M2TS to DVD

I really need some help and advice from somebody who knows… I have recently purchased the new Sony HD Handycam that records in a file format M2TS which of course my PC (at work) does not recognise (My MAC at home does though ?), I have to use it at work on the PC so I have been searching for software so I can convert the M2TS files to something I can put on the web and also onto DVD. I have located some software called iSkysoft Video Convertor but to keep high HD quality I do not know what file type to convert to ?? The choices are as follows, HD ASF,HD AVI, HD H.264, HD MPEG-4, HD MPEG-2, HD VOB and HD WMV. Please help somebody:confused:

Best thing would be to [I]not[/I] convert of course, and play as is…
Try with VLC…
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_m2ts_files.cfm

That said, you can also demux the streams and re-mux back using another container(e.g MKV etc. w/o re-encoding…
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
Now if you need to convert to another format, you [I]will[/I] lose some quality in the process…I’m not familiar with, iSkysoft Video Convertor, but I have used Xvid4PSP, Avidemux, to convert m2ts to MP4/h264…with great quality results…
A very good app to use for converting m2ts to standard DVD is ConvertxtoDVD…

[QUOTE=needybeginer;2409986]but to keep high HD quality I do not know what file type to convert to[/quote] QuickTime HD or HD WMV

VLC 1.0.0 can also record your movie in another format directly. See here

Thanx for the heads-up, Mr. B!
This newer version of VLC is quite nice.
With my older version, Power DVD always seemed to have an ever-so-slightly sharper image when playing back video thru my TV set, even after activating/altering video filters.
However, this vers. played beautifully “right out of the box”.

[QUOTE=chosenfew777;2410439]Thanx for the heads-up, Mr. B!
This newer version of VLC is quite nice.[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. There’s not much that’s better at playing video’s than VLC.

I’m also pretty fond of the 1 by 1 player to playback mp3’s.

I just like free programs with very light footprint and much tweakability. :cool:

Amen to that!
Microsoft could use a reminder in that dept.!