M-Disc technology promises 1,000 year life time of optical discs

vbimport

M-Disc technology promises 1,000 year life time of optical discs.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/04/GazNTr.png[/newsimage]Ritek has announced a new combination of optical drive and discs that should have a lifetime of up 1000 years.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/m-disc-technology-promises-1000-year-life-time-of-optical-discs-66951/](http://www.myce.com/news/m-disc-technology-promises-1000-year-life-time-of-optical-discs-66951/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Who is going to verify that they last 1,000 years? I have discs that will last 10,000 , unless you have the Flux capacitor needed to be traveling at 88 mph (140.8 km/h), and required 1.21 gigawatts years. Prove me wrong.;):wink: :bigsmile::bigsmile:

I’m having a deja-vu experience here.

How is this different from what was available a year ago?

The ones that i reviewed were made in Czech republic and those will probably be made in Taiwan. There shouldn’t be any other difference, maybe a lower price tag.

@alan
:iagree:

YIt’s like the led lighting warranty debacle again …
The chance that they will be around in 10 years is quite small. I’d love to see a successful warranty claim in 20years on a $5 cd …

I’ve done fairly well with optical discs. I think my first burned disc goes back to 1997, which was a burned cd made on a friends burner. I got my own burner in '98 and bought dvd/bluray burners when the tech came out.

I rarely use anything I burned 10 years ago. I went from burning audio cd’s, to portable players that used mp3, and now flac. Most of the video files were either dvd backups or poor quality avi files.

So its great that optical discs will last that long, but the content on them seems become obscelete much quicker.

I design and sell gowns out of my boutique. These are invariably one-use products. $20,000. $10,000. $8,000 prom gowns.

I wonder if I could claim “these are guaranteed to last 100 years” and if that would increase sales OR merely enflame whoever’s-paying-the-bills even more? Yet those same gullible fish swallow these 100-year-guarantees hook line & sinker.

“They can’t print it if it wasn’t true.” Riiiight.

W. C. Fields remains a genius. And I’m laughing with Drage and Alan, too… yeah, gotta wonder what a 1,000-year-old Walkman’s gonna look like, eh? I tell ya, stone tablets still seem like the most legitimate storage media for eons. “Can’t read the darned thing, but lookee - all those pretty shapes!”

The 1,000 year “Accelerated Lifetime Test Summary” in accordance with ISO/IEC 10995 standards can be found at: http://partners.mdisc.com/marketing/info-sheets/mdisc-info-sheets-test-summary.pdf. Although the M-Disc can only be proven to last 1,000 years theoretically, most people just want something that will last for a lifetime. Because the M-Disc engraves data instead of using an organic dye layer, it will last exponentially longer than even the best “Gold Disc” on the market. In addition, the M-Disc is resistant to extreme conditions of temperature, light, and humidity whereas any other optical disc wont even last one day in direct sunlight. This means that the data you consider irreplaceable will be backed up permanently for a lifetime on something that won’t degrade over time. We may not have optical drives in 1,000 years, but one can be assured that data preserved for a lifetime, even on an optical disc, is infinitely better than lost data… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to take a guess that this is just an attempt to get people to only buy burnable media from them, and not from anyone else. That way, they can have complete control of there own little make-believe world where people are mindless sheep doing what ever the so-called “experts” tell them. It’s just like that All State commercial: “Where’d you hear that?” “The internet.”

[QUOTE=Zod;2685952]Its great that optical discs will last that long, but the content on them seems become obscelete much quicker.[/QUOTE]

I do believe Bill Gates once said, “intellectual property has the shelf life of a bannana”. Let’s face it, he’s right.

Well, only time will tell of course… I’m planning to carry out detailed quality tests on these discs every 200 years or so. If any of them fails, I’ll let you know :bigsmile:

However, since these discs are manufactured by RITEK, I have every confidence that they will last at least 1000 years*! :stuck_out_tongue:

• provided that you don’t write anything on them and you keep them sealed, in a temperature controlled environment and away from any mechanical shocks, chemical or biological agents, humidity, harmful radiation, rodents and sun light :wink:

The same kinds of large numbers were touted for the rest of optical media: cd-r, dvd, hd-dvd and now blu rays. First it was 75-100 years… then it was 500 years, then 1000 years. Without standardization, industry acceptance, consumer acceptance and cost effectiveness for the industry & consumer to make & consume, this is all hot vapor farts going NOWHERE… to say nothing about backwards compatibility on read & write. I doubt the installed consumer base will go buy a new reader/writer for this technology alone.

I sure hope CVS will keep us posted on those 200-year tests. Uh - do I hafta hold my breath for those?!! Darn… I hope not.

(CVS mentioned keeping their environment well-protected. Whew - he didn’t list “not using them as salsa chips or to spread peanut butter with.” I guess those very useful purposes are still OK for me, huh?)

I’m not even going to ask about dishwasher safe status…Opa’s unite!

Hell yeah, [B]Riteks promises[/B] are like a slap in the face for anyone buying their crap!!!