M-DISC Reliability

Hello everybody,
I’d like to use these media for my photos and videos, but I don’t know if they are reliable or it’s only a marketing thing…
On Amazon there are many reviews but no one has given an update on the state of their discs after many years, so does anybody use Verbatim or Millenniata m-disc and does periodically a check?

I’m thinking if it’s better buy a RAID1 hard disk, after all…

I don´t use M-Disc, so no idea at this point.

Otherwise, I had CD-/DVD-media which last actual for 19 years. Since this time I had some dying HDDs and also SSDs.

And lately a HDD and a SSD lost all data without warning, both hardware are still working but had data loss.

If you have tons of data some HDDs are the right media for you, but RAID 1 can´t be termed a backup for some reasons:

1. A defective Power Supply can kill both
  2. A lightning stroke also
  3. A crypt trojan will work on both HDDs

So a external backup-HDD is the better solution

I don’t use M-Disc either but the technology behind it is certainly more robust than the various other types of optical disc.

As to whether it lasts 100 years, 1,000 years, or 10,000 years who knows but I reckon as long as it lasts 20 years that would do me, especially given the way technology moves on.

The OP seems to have joined the forum in order to post this question.

It is unfortunate that they fell into the usual trap of not checking existing content before asking a question that has already been discussed - nay, thrashed to death - in previous threads. Examples easily found using the forum’s “Search” function:

Not that we mind discussing things, but there has been a lot of water under the bridge on topics like this, and it becomes tiresome to start again at square 1 every time a new question comes up.

Thank you, but I read accurately those posts…
None of those have posted an update after some years, that’s why I asked on this forum.

Probably the accelerated aging tests sponsored/published by Millenniata around the time of product introduction (referred to in earlier threads o the subject) would be more useful than casual follow-up media tests here. Especially since the interest in optical media is on the decline and M-Disc is a niche product within a niche product area.

Years ago, Diit.cz conducted some very interesting reliability and durability tests of Data Tresor Disc, which is basically the M-Disc with a different MID code.
https://diit.cz/tagy/data-tresor-disc

Also, all of my 9 years old Data Tresor Disc are still in perfect condition (I have tens of them and most of them were pre-production samples).

In my old tired head I thought I’d owned M-Disc for many years, but I can only find that I started using them only when their BD-R discs became available in 2014.

Not sure 5 years is enough to satisfy the OP, but I can only say that if not copied anywhere else or in any other way (i.e.HDD or SSD or whatever) I would surely trust M-Discs over any other media (that I know of)…

Yeah it’s debatable how long they’ll actually last but I think most people would accept that they’re the most reliable optical medium.

Hope the drives for this media will also last that long :slight_smile:

MDisc capability continues to be supported in many/most optical disc writers as the new ones come out. I bought a couple of UHD drives recently and they have MDisc support.

I recall that when these first appeared the company touted that the US government tested-and-used/uses them so if that is indeed the case then MDisc drives should be available “forever”, especially as even Verbatim is making the discs now.

If I take a lpook at the shops I see the ODDs diappear more and more.

Almost all new PC-towers came with no ODD-bay

So if M-Disc last so long, will you get drives to read it if the drives you buy right now fail because od dead electronic/mechanic?

In the future, probably not much different than trying to find an 8-track player today.

:slight_smile:

Dunno, never had it.

I have some very good VHS-VCRs, bought from begin of 1990 till early 2000 and copy actual some old recordings from VHS to DVD.

The VCRs was for some years in a closet and wasn´t used for some years.

3 of 4 Siemens (the generations made by Sanyo, great features) S-VHS/VHS-Recorders died in that time and don´t give any sign of life; only the cheapest one survived

Some of my Panasonic/JVC (also rebranded by Blaupunkt, Philips) and Akai (great VCRs) are still alive but had problems with the mechanics (can´t find the right tracking, kill the tapes). My Sharp High End also still lives, but it shows that even very good technical components will die after some decades, if used or not.

1 Like

I still have a Panasonic NV-HS860 S-VHS that works great.
Some years ago I bought it to convert VHS tapes to digital files.

I can only recommend this recorder for digitization, it has a built-in TBC (Time Base Corrector) and 3D Noise Reduction, that makes the output very smooth, even on very old tapes recorded in the mid '80s.

If they don’t give any sign of life anymore, you could try to replace the main capacitor(s) in the power supply.

Don´t have it anymore :wink:

My Philips xxx (dunno the exact type) have also TBC and is made by JVC. The movies/sports I copied to DVD looks better than the things I found on Youtube (if I found it). It have also a picture optimizer with some picture sharping settings

A special feature of all JVCs I had is the running auto tracking. Other VCRs made auto tracking after turning on or if you change the tape and don´t recognize if the track changes during play, the JVCs adjust the tracking during play. It´s a nice feature if you play tapes which are recorded on different VCRs. It don´t work everytime, but mostly :slight_smile:

I Had also the NV-HS 860 long time ago and sold it, maybe because I hate the remote control. Panasonic have good products but sometimes I don´t know why they are doing strange things :wink: