M-Disc questions?

vbimport

Is there any serial number or stamper code?

Does your LiteOn read/scan these as well? I heard some drives cannot read back M-Disc.

[QUOTE=pepst;2626749]Not bad at all. :eek:
Is there any serial number or stamper code?[/QUOTE]This is the only code I can find on the disc. It is the same on all the discs in this spindle. One might expect that a disc that is claimed to last 1000 yrs. would have some kind of hard coat to help to achieve that. Not so. Scratches very easily :rolleyes:.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2626757]Does your LiteOn read/scan these as well? I heard some drives cannot read back M-Disc.[/QUOTE]
You’re right. The two iHAS x24 drives I’ve tried it in struggle with reading it and error out in a TRT. The BenQ can read it :confused:. Need to flash the Liteys back to stock firmware to rule out read speed increase contributing to the difficulty. Of course my results are just proof that earlier model LG drives can burn the M-disc. It will be interesting to see if the true 39 drives produce a different result :).

What is the COO of those discs?
If they are marked as “Made in EU” they were actually made in Czech Republic by Northern Star.
The same company sells similar “archival” media with anorganic recording layer under the “DataTresorDisc” brand name.
http://datatresordisc.eu/

I am still waiting to hear back from several inquiries about the COO with these.
I will post it if I can get a response. These are clearly re-packed by Vinpower and their simple stick-on 1" x 2 1/2" label does not state COO. Just a MPN of MDDPR04WIP-10

Can LG WH10LS30 be flashed to WH12LS39 to enable M-DISC burning?

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2627695]Can LG WH10LS30 be flashed to WH12LS39 to enable M-DISC burning?[/QUOTE]

>>> post #1 and http://club.myce.com/f91/flash-bh10ls30-bh12ls30-320353/

Is there any evidence that burns of these discs from WH10LS30 flashed to WH12LS39 are of lesser quality than burns from original WH12LS39 drive?

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2627935]Is there any evidence that burns of these discs from WH10LS30 flashed to WH12LS39 are of lesser quality than burns from original WH12LS39 drive?[/QUOTE]

No. As far as quality scans and general read back go right now, they seem to be equal (if I have paid close enough attention to the discussion surrounding them).

Just a note: Regardless of which LG burner wrote it (since no other manufacturer seems to have a drive out that supports M-Disc…at least that I’ve seen), there seems to be an odd quirk with some LiteOn drives where recognizing that an M-Disc has been inserted will take a while/won’t work, or the quality scans will look uglier than from drives that have no issue with the media. Ignoring those quirks, though, things seem to be going moderately well. [I would love to find out if the quirk is on LiteOn’s end, LG’s end, is a result of the media itself, or a combination of things].

WH10LS30@WH12LS39(1.00), 4323MB burned at 4x

Sold as: Vinpower M-Disc White Inkjet Printable DVD Archival Media

MID: MILLENIA 001

[QUOTE=pepst;2626803]What is the COO of those discs?
If they are marked as “Made in EU” they were actually made in Czech Republic by Northern Star.
The same company sells similar “archival” media with anorganic recording layer under the “DataTresorDisc” brand name.
http://datatresordisc.eu/[/QUOTE]

They are made in Europe. Printable layer applied in the US.

If the disc has the longevity claimed, it will likely only achieve that in a burn it and archive it scenario. As I mentioned, they are below average on the “scratch resistant” scale, and may not be the best choice for long term back-up of material that will see repeated trips in and out of storage.

** Posts split from the Milleniata M-Disc DVD+R thread in the Blank DVD Media Tests forum ** :wink: