M/B GAEP45DS3L memory problems

vbimport

I was going to purchase a mobo GA-EP45-DS3L (I got one but the four LEDs would go on about a 1/4 sec then nothing, I returned the board but unfortunately the co. (QCG) disappeared before replacement or explanation) I’ve seen on Forums-TweakTown http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-ep45-ds3l-ocz-reaper-4gb-1066-kit-ram-timings-problem-27947/ that people are having problems with memory, the guy does tell you what to do but it looks pretty complicated so could someone please give me some advice, could owners of this mobo tell me their experiences, I’ll hold off buying this mobo till I know more. The main reason I’m replacing is I’ve got an Asus P5GZMX it’s a microATX (short on expansion slots), I wish to use a videocard which uses a PCI slot up for the fan & it’s alleged that the PCI-X 16 is only PCI-X 4 with a PCI-X 16 plug

Hence why you don’t buy “pos” RAM.
Get stock speeds (including voltage) and you’ll have no issues at all.
//Danne

what is your exact model of ram?

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2140411]Hence why you don’t buy “pos” RAM.
Get stock speeds (including voltage) and you’ll have no issues at all.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Please what is “pos” RAM?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2140807]what is your exact model of ram?[/QUOTE]

I’ve only got !GB of Generic 667MHz pc2-5300 RAM & am getting another 1GB stick of Kingston 667MHz… . If necessary, I’d be prepared to throw the stick I’ve got & get a pair of what size & brand would be best.
Thanks

Couple things you should do before purchasing memory…

1. Visit your mobo mfr’s site and look at the QVL for memory for your specific board.
    This will be a list of memory modules that have been tested to work in your board.
    There will be more modules out there that will work, but have yet to be tested by Gigabyte.
    Also a wealth of info is sometimes available at your mobo mfr’s user forum.

2. Go to a reputible memory mfr site (Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, G.Skill, OCZ, Geil etc, etc) and plug your board info into their memory configurator for module recommendations.

3. Don’t buy crap generic memory. Looks like you are shooting low for a board like that…in quality and speed.
    Buy the fastest your board will handle…note that it may be your processor that will limit speed utilized, very important, so check on that. No need to buy memory that is faster than the CPU can handle.

Memory is cheap right now, buy the good stuff.

Jrik, so what do you want to do. I had to re-read your post because its not that illegiable. Do you want to buy more ram for your old system, or do you want a new MB. We can reccomend you a MB, also I’m sure the gigabyte P45 board has fixed its memory problems with a bios update by now.

“pos” = “piece of shit”, by that he means cheap ram.

I would say that anything that isn’t 1.8V is crap :wink:
Kingston “ValueRAM” or Corsair “ValueSelect” should be fine in 99,9% cases if you just want something cheap. If you want PC6400 (with decent timings) I’d have a look at Mushkin RAM. I personally wouldnt buy OCZ, G.Skill, Patriot or Geil but that’s just me…
//Danne

[QUOTE=eric93se;2141594]Jrik, so what do you want to do. I had to re-read your post because its not that illegiable. Do you want to buy more ram for your old system, or do you want a new MB. We can reccomend you a MB, also I’m sure the gigabyte P45 board has fixed its memory problems with a bios update by now.

“pos” = “piece of shit”, by that he means cheap ram.[/QUOTE]

Oh! I thought pos must be some type of RAM I didn’t know of. I want to get a new mobo & RAM, I was going to get another 1GB stick of 667MHz to put with my 1GB stick but after reading jflans message, I think I’ll get twin 1GB sticks 800 or 1066MHz of a reputable brand. In Far North Queensland we don’t get much range of products, hence I get them online but you still have to search madly so to get the parts you want at a reasaonable price & keeping transport costs down, I often have to compromise. I’d hope they’ve fixed it but worried by all the people posting problems with it, I’ll try asking at the manufacturers website.
A few good suggestions from jflan, I’ll check them out.
Thanks.

Asus also makes quality P45 MB’s Link. Gigabyte has some new P45 boards, Link

jflan, I looked but Gigabytes website search says ‘not found’, I can’t find a compatible memory list or any way to contact.
DiiZzY, from searching , I don’t think you can buy 800MHz in Australia.(I decided to go with a twin pack of 800MHz).
Thanks, they look like good suggestions, if I could do them.

[QUOTE=Jrik;2141865]jflan, I looked but Gigabytes website search says ‘not found’, I can’t find a compatible memory list or any way to contact.
DiiZzY, from searching , I don’t think you can buy 800MHz in Australia.(I decided to go with a twin pack of 800MHz).
Thanks, they look like good suggestions, if I could do them.[/QUOTE]

I meant to say, that is Mushkin 2 x1GB 800MHz PC2-6400.

[QUOTE=Jrik;2141865]jflan, I looked but Gigabytes website search says ‘not found’, I can’t find a compatible memory list or any way to contact.

I meant to say, that is Mushkin 2 x1GB 800MHz PC2-6400.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/72282/MEMORY_DDR-2_RAM/Corsair/TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX.asp
Good buy (1.8V) :slight_smile:
Mushkin doesnt seem to be available in Oz as you said yourself =)
//Danne

The site was down yesterday.
Here you go…

Take note, the memory heatsink is that aluminum (typ.) covering over the module.
DO NOT apply pressure to the memory heatsink when installing memory. Find the end of the module itself and apply careful pressure there, to install the module.
This is one area where newbs can have trouble…boards, modules, clips, sockets can be ruined if one is not careful.

I like to use a wooden cutting board for a base, anti-static sheet next and then the motherboard on top of that.
This provides a safe, supportive base when populating the motherboard with memory, processor and HSF.

You don’t want to over-flex the motherboard.

[QUOTE=jflan;2142224]The site was down yesterday.
Here you go…

Take note, the memory heatsink is that aluminum (typ.) covering over the module.
DO NOT apply pressure to the memory heatsink when installing memory. Find the end of the module itself and apply careful pressure there, to install the module.
This is one area where newbs can have trouble…boards, modules, clips, sockets can be ruined if one is not careful.

I like to use a wooden cutting board for a base, anti-static sheet next and then the motherboard on top of that.
This provides a safe, supportive base when populating the motherboard with memory, processor and HSF.

You don’t want to over-flex the motherboard.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that link.
I always am very careful, support the mobo, don’t flex it; I haven’t ever put in memory with heatsinks so that’s a handy tip to remember.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2141834]Asus also makes quality P45 MB’s Link. Gigabyte has some new P45 boards, Link[/QUOTE]

After searching I don’t think this Gigabyte mobo is in Australia yet, it might be worth waiting for, it looks good, has good capacitors, as Nth, Sth Bridge chips are doing more they’re starting to get hot; it looks as if they’ve made these to have better cooling.

DiiZzY, I’ve just found some Mushkin RAM on Ebay store, Itsbits but no twin kits. They’ve just listed a twin.