Lvw-5045 picture quality

When using the lvw-5045 I have found a way to improve the picture quality.
And yes it does involve soldering and opening the machine up.
If anyone wishes to improve picture it require spending around 70 dollars more and soldering experience. Maybe I should release my plan on ebay for ten dollars. Who here though is interested??? I’d like to know.

Hex–you have too much expertise?? (smile!!)

Without giving up your million dollar idea - -I thought once something was “digital” you either got an on/off signal or you didn’t. In general, it doesn’t seem like anything other than a different encoding program would change the quality of the video presented???

Anyway, I’d be interested in the “idea” but wouldn’t touch a soldering joint unless my unit was unusable otherwise. Now, if you can make a $70 adjustment to my 27 inch tv to make it a 60 inch high def, I’d give that a go! //// bobbo.

DvD recording is both analog and digital. My improvments provide more detail because there is slightly more signal and its cleaner. I am testing a external power supply conditioner for the ac to see if it improves the any thing as well.

Yes but keep in mind that BEFORE the data goes on your DVD in digital form it has to be covnerted from analog to digital. Eventhough all dvd recorders record the same format in digital form, the video quality can vary A LOT… This is dependant on MANY factors including the video decoder chip, filtering, the MPEG encoder down to even the type of cables you use and the VCR you use.

When you plug in your video cables to your DVD recorder and hit record, what happens is that your signal goes through what is called a video decoder chip (yes I know it is confusing, but it IS technically referred to as a video decoder, not an encoder…) it captures a RAW uncompressed video frame and stores it in memory. There are different variants on this - There are pre-procesing and post processing filters - Ideally for mpeg compression, the video is “softened” using filters - Depending on the DVD recorder, sometimes too much filtering is applied, sometimes poor quality chips are used, sometimes the video chip is very good but the firmware is NOT optimised to take advantage of all the features of the chip. Some recorders will remove noise from video while preserving edge detail, and some will even enhance it and apply comb filtering and other ways of improving the signal… If you KNOW how to hack your way into the firmware and get to the PROGRAM and register values for the video decoder and proc amps, you could do miracles…Most of the video decoder chips used in these recorders are capable of a lot of adjustments includign AGC, sharpness, saturation, contrast, video timings and much more - it is usually hard coded into the firmware. Now sometimes a poor internal design will affect video quality (a long path, interference between fan/PSU and video, etc…) Now you would be surprised at how much a GOOD VCR can influence your final DVD. The way some of those DVD recorders are built, they are very intolerant to the poor signal coming from VHS. The VCRs I use to convert VHS to DVD are made from JVC (The 9911 models) featuring Digital R3 edge enhancement and digital TBC/DNR - Also most consumer recorders have a feature which helps compensate for bad tracking and inconsistent sync pulses by pre-filtering the video - this degrades further the signal - Again this is a register you CAN access and disable if you know where to look for it and tweak your firmware.

Which is why I got a different brand of recorder and I am quite pleased. Its frame syncroniser locks on to the WORST VHS EP tapes I have, and lip sync is maintained PERFECTLY - It features IRE recording levels (some recorders have problems with IRE levels). If i’m not mistaken the LITEON uses the LSI chipset - unfortunately the code does not fully take advantage of it or make good use of it.

I have compared SIDE by SIDE video recorded with many LITEON models including the one stated here against a Toshiba DR4 (eventhough the DR4 uses the Zoran chipset and many will argue that LSI is better) I have found the image quality of the DR4 to be much closer to the original compared to the liteon which had more visible loss of detail …

I know everything is more complex than a 1-2-3rd look might imply. Still, its fun to talk with experts and try to increase one’s own understanding==atleast equal to the sales staff at Best Buy? (smile!!)

So–Greg, besides your jvc vcr, what other equipment have you selected?? ((Answer in detail and paste it to your profile for us newbies to benefit from?–again, BIG smiles!!) Thanks-- /// bobbo

I’ll take a look at the Toshiba DR4 --internally via diagram and purhaps look at the supposedly better picture. If I have the time, I’ll let you know.

I’m interested in your idea hex, sounds interesting

Does this model of Lite-On have a Stereo sound tuner or is the whole thing still in Mono?

As far as I’m aware of, the LVW-5045 targeted at the European market features a Nicam Stereo tuner and can confirm that my LVW-5045 (UK model) has a stereo TV tuner. Unfortunately, the LVW-5045 targeted at the US market only features a mono tuner.

If you live in Europe and are looking to see if the LVW-5045 can record multi-language programming, I can confirm that this Lite-On gives a choice of recording the Main audio channel or Second Audio Programme:

[QUOTE=hexmechanic;1499227]When using the lvw-5045 I have found a way to improve the picture quality.
And yes it does involve soldering and opening the machine up.
If anyone wishes to improve picture it require spending around 70 dollars more and soldering experience. Maybe I should release my plan on ebay for ten dollars. Who here though is interested??? I’d like to know.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

i have really bad reception on one station, all other stations are fine. On other devices that one channel also has good reception. Will your solution improve the image quality?

Regards,

Tom