LVW-5006 Drive Replaced, still won't read some discs?

Hi all,

Sorry to be posting a new thread in such a cluttered up forum… But I’ve done some reading around these threads and just can’t seem to find a solution anywhere.

I’ve had my LiteOn LVW-5006 for about 2 and a half years now. For the last year or so, it’s been very temperamental as to which discs it decides to read, and which it doesn’t! It’s very hit and miss, some discs it will play all the time, others it won’t… And I could never figure out why it refused the ones it refused. They’re a mixture of formats (DVD-R and DVD+R), all were burnt on my laptop, some NTSC, some PAL. Although the ones it WILL read are of the same mixture… Hence the confusion!

I thought it may have been due to a bad laser or something, but how this would be the problem is beyond me, as it records to DVDs fine…

But regardless, I took the whole unit apart, dismantled the drive and cleaned the laser with a cotton-bud and alcohol. Put it all back together again, tried a non-working DVD, still wouldn’t read it. So now what?

I Googled around, and discovered that it’s possible to use a PC DVD drive instead of the installed one. So I took my old desktop PC to bits, took out the Pioneer DVDRW 107-D drive, and tried plugging it in to see if it worked. It did! So I cut a hole in the top of my case, threaded the wires through, put it all back together again and breathed a sigh of relief. For about half a minute.

Again, same problem. It won’t read a handful of discs!! I can’t figure out why, other standalone players read the discs it calls ‘invalid’ with no problem whatsoever, as does my laptop. This is a PC drive for pete’s sake, which works flawlessly with any DVD I throw at it when it’s installed in my desktop. So what gives?!

I thought maybe it was due to the firmware upgrades I’d done on the player, as I was currently using 101. So I downloaded and downgraded the firmware to a hacked 098 version. Still no success.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Is it just something I’m going to have to put up with until I decide to take the plunge and get myself a PS3, and use that to play the ‘invalid’ DVDs my trusty LiteOn doesn’t like?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise me on this… If you can give me a working solution, I’ll love you forever :flower:

Cheers folks!

Not all drives work as LiteOn burner replacements. Choose one from http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/ or a Benq DW1620 which isn’t on the list. Remember to set drive jumper to master, do any firmware updates by connecting to computer and set region by playing a DVD while connected to computer before installing in the recorder. The Sony DRU-190A may be easier to find since most others are older, harder to find models.

Cheers for your reply :slight_smile:

As for the drive, it works fine with most discs. It records fine. It FFs fine. It just won’t read a few discs without me opening and closing the drawer and letting it attempt to read it several times. Then it will, eventually! Although, saying that, it simply will not read about 4 of my 300 or so discs (my computer reads them fine, though). Weird.

The drive I’m using is a Pioneer DVR-106D. I need to perform a firmware flash on it, however, as it won’t play any of my region 2 DVDs - the region code needs unlocking!

Did you update the drive’s firmware before moving it to your 5006?

Nope, just moved it straight from my PC to the LVW. I feel sure I flashed it to be region free when I first got it, though… Which was almost 4 years ago! So I was a little confused as to why it wouldn’t play region 2 retails, as it played everything I chucked at it when I used it in my PC…

Check for firmware updates you may find a 4 year drive needs them to work with faster (16X) media.