LVW 5005A getting invalid disk error

vbimport

Bought the unit in Dec 2004 and made 25-30 VCD of television shows. Last week I put in the same media I have been using and I got the invalid disk error. I tried another disk and same thing. Tried a CD-RW disk and same thing. Tried another brand of CD and same thing.
Called tech support and suggested I apply a firmware ungrade, which I did and took. But I tried the same disks and same error.
Called tech support back and tech asked it a DVD would play, I said yes it will.
I also tried unplugging from wall and hitting default setting and still same error. I was able to burn a DVD without a problem.
Any ideas of anything I can try or what might have caused the errors. Thanks.
Tech did say they would contact me in a couple of days to do RMA.

I had a different but similar issue.

I used GQ brand of DVDs successfully for about 2 months. I didn’t realize the Brand was such a Deal.

However – they all still read on my Vaio Pc (which has a Sony rebadged Liteon dvd writer) and two other DVD Players that are quite old. But the Liteon 5005 will not accept this brand of dvd – blank OR recorded – any longer. I do not know if it is interaction with discs from the Pc or using some HPs they both happened around the same time. Unfortunately I have several great DVDs that I didn’t finalize and can’t be read anywhere.

It is hard to understand why this same package of disks would start failing in the middle and it also cannot read the ones it recorded and yet I can read them on other players and my PC. Since there is Memory on the writer I assume something environemental changed?

After research I updated using the two zip files on Liteon web site 1098/1000.
This made no difference however was very simple.

HELP anyone with any Real Knowledge of this? Weird. It is amazing how nonstandard all this dvd and optical stuff IS.

The definitive answer is this:

Re: LiteOn LVW 5005… Prepairing then invalid disk
The definitive answer is certainly to change the drive as suggested earlier for the LH18A1P I took the tip and purchased a slightly used one on Ebay total cost with postage was £13. 1st power up and open tray then unplug. remove front of tray, it unclips at bottom, pull out and up then slides off. remove screws and take the entire drive out. Remove base plate of replacement drive and screw down into the two rear mountings. Remove facia of Recorder and cut out the three little pieces of moulding directly above where the tray drawer will be, this prevents the drive from being forced down at the front. With facia off fit the drive back onto the now screwed down base plate. Replace facia, connect drive power up and open drawer then unplug. On the drawer front cut off the centre small moulding because it doesn’t line up with the cut outs in the drawer, the other two do, slide the front downwards onto the drawer then press at the bottom till it clips in. Job done. My 5005 now reads much faster and recognises all discs prior to this Invalid Disc on everything, cleaned lens and it would then only see pre-recorded films etc but no blank discs. PS my spelling isn’t crap but how we do it in the UK…the proper way!!!

[QUOTE=Jimcoted;2296428]The definitive answer is this:

Re: LiteOn LVW 5005… Prepairing then invalid disk
The definitive answer is certainly to change the drive as suggested earlier for the LH18A1P I took the tip and purchased a slightly used one on Ebay total cost with postage was £13. 1st power up and open tray then unplug. remove front of tray, it unclips at bottom, pull out and up then slides off. remove screws and take the entire drive out. Remove base plate of replacement drive and screw down into the two rear mountings. Remove facia of Recorder and cut out the three little pieces of moulding directly above where the tray drawer will be, this prevents the drive from being forced down at the front. With facia off fit the drive back onto the now screwed down base plate. Replace facia, connect drive power up and open drawer then unplug. On the drawer front cut off the centre small moulding because it doesn’t line up with the cut outs in the drawer, the other two do, slide the front downwards onto the drawer then press at the bottom till it clips in. Job done. My 5005 now reads much faster and recognises all discs prior to this Invalid Disc on everything, cleaned lens and it would then only see pre-recorded films etc but no blank discs. PS my spelling isn’t crap but how we do it in the UK…the proper way!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for that information. I am going to look for the LH18A1P. Will let you know what happens. Thanks, also, for the tips on removing and replacing the drive.

Be aware all newer LiteOns including the LH18A1P will have freeze on fast forward if that’s important. The Sony DRU-190A or DRU-120C (aka DW-G120A) will have normal fast forward function and would be better choices if that function is important.