LVW 5005A Firmware Hack

I have been reading alot about the Lite-On Model 5005 firmware upgrade/hack and I am still confused. Can someone help me figure this all out. I would like to know how or even IF I need to perform this on my newly purchased unit. I have a 5005A that shows a manufacture date of June 2004 on the back of the unit. As per the SETUP screen it is showing
SN: 0102-0143-0063-E2S5 (100-0109). My goal is to make backup copies of my DVD movie collection as well as hopefully copy my old VHS tapes to DVD.
I attempted to copy a movie and a message appeared in the upper right corner that mentioned something like PROTECTED CONTENT. Is there a solution for this?

If you want to convert from VHS to DVD, the only copy protection that can cause trouble is MacroVision SCART signals. I don’t knowif a region free hack (see www.rpc1.org) will remove MacroVision for you. Probably not.

A lot of help for you problems can be found here

How do I find out which drive is in my unit?

Open the cover and read the lable on the top of drive.

Here’s a site with all the tools and info you need, based on your S/N, your unit is on firmware version 0063, you need to upgrade to hacked version 0098 for your region.

If in region 1, the hacked 0098 will disable the MV and drop the region by one (to 0), if out of region 1, you’ll need to perform the remote control region 0 (free) method by entering setup, cursor down to exit, while sitting on exit press 2960 and a hidden region menu opens, select 0 (or free) and press enter.

http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/

Thank you Crazy Canuk … I still need some clarification… I’m reading about “system” and “drive” updates - sounds like I need both? If I download the “hacked” 0098 version which I “think” is LNFA1098.ES3.zip (is that correrct?) in the files section - is this the only thing I need or do I need some “drive” update also? Do I have to mess with the “region” stuff?

I’m presuming that you are in north america, so update and burn the hacked LNFA1098.ES3 file for the system update, do a “restore” under setup and insert disc and after updated, download and burn this file for the drive update that you do after the system’s update. Hoping this link will work, if not, I’ll repost more info.

http://r00.liteonit.com.tw/DC/english/download/download1.asp

OK, I see that the link brings you to the old 5005 firmware page, choose the appropriate format and enter your current S/N number and it will give you 2 firmwares, the 0076 for the system, don’t bother with that one as you are already going to 0098, it will also give you the drive update LNFA1000, burn that one and install.

Afterwards you should all up-to-date, don’t go any higher than the 0098 as Liteon fixed their newer firmwares to not being able to be hacked properly.

The hack will drop the region by one, from 1 to 0 (free) in north america, outside region 1, you need to do a remote control region hack;

press setup
cursor to exit
while sitting on exit, press 2960, it opens up the region menu,
choose 0 (or free) and press enter.

Both of my LVW5005s have been hacked with no problems except with the poor drives ( my posts) they are also region free; but I don’t use them much anymore.

Thanks again CrazyCanuck for your help and clarification! I will try what you suggested and hope for the best.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1924871]Both of my LVW5005s have been hacked with no problems except with the poor drives ( my posts) they are also region free; but I don’t use them much anymore.[/QUOTE]

What are you using now to backup your DVD collection and create DVD’s from VHS tapes?

DVD backup by computer; VHS backups with my Panasonic DMR ES15 and ES25 with Grex

OK CrazyCanuck … I tried burning that System update file to a CD-R using Roxio version 9, I believe. I tried creating a “data” disk as per some of the posts I was reading however, when I insert the disc into my recorder it does nothing and all I see is “data disk” in the upper left corner. I must be doing something wrong when I create the disc? At this point, since I haven’t seen any instructions on creating the disc with the version of Roxio I am using, I am guessing at some of the few settings I can use.

One of the 5005s I hacked gave the “data disk” message when I initially tried it, but powering off the unit with disk still in it and power on again recognized the disk and successfully updated. Try that to see if it helps. If it doesn’t help, then you likely have incompatible firmware file. For successful flash the first 2 sets of 4 digits must match exactly (0102-0143 for your unit) else the “data disk” message will result. You’ll need to find firmware that begins with 0102-0143 if the one CrazyCanuck referred you to doesn’t match in order for update to succeed. Note CDRW will work if you want to avoid wasting disks in case numerous tries are needed. Also note the hack works well for VHS with macrovision, but works on very few DVDs because DVDs use protection other than macrovision.

Forgive me for all the questions - I am new at this. How do I go about seeing what numbers are in the firmware file?

[QUOTE=bevills1;1930610]One of the 5005s I hacked gave the “data disk” message when I initially tried it, but powering off the unit with disk still in it and power on again recognized the disk and successfully updated. Try that to see if it helps. If it doesn’t help, then you likely have incompatible firmware file. For successful flash the first 2 sets of 4 digits must match exactly (0102-0143 for your unit) else the “data disk” message will result. You’ll need to find firmware that begins with 0102-0143 if the one CrazyCanuck referred you to doesn’t match in order for update to succeed. Note CDRW will work if you want to avoid wasting disks in case numerous tries are needed. Also note the hack works well for VHS with macrovision, but works on very few DVDs because DVDs use protection other than macrovision.[/QUOTE]

Before inserting the firmware do a “restore” under setup then try loading up the firmware, in the past, in my haste, I would forget to do a restore before upgrading and get the “data disc” message.

After thinking about it, Bevhills1 is right, you need the firmware for the 1020 motherboard, the .es3, not the .es5, no arm, here it is;

http://www.pumapeople.com/liteon/US-LVW5005%20(0102)%20-Firmware/HEXED%20v098%20-ES3/

Burn and try this one.

Thanks for the info … I appreciate it. How do I go about making backups of my DVD collection then?

Backup DVDs using PC DVD burner with DVDFabDecrypter, DVDShrink, RipIt4Me, IMGBurn or other software. Good DVD burners are around $30 plus or minus a few bucks from NewEgg if you don’t already have DVD burner for PC.

the liteON DVD 5005 recorders will record as long as the video is not protected with MV.