LVW-1107HC (US) on PAL TV?

Can the LVW-1107HC (US version) play NTSC and PAL DVDs on a PAL TV?

Tech support says no… but I can’t always trust tech support…
“Sorry for the inconvenience that 1107HC USA version can only playback
siganl from NTSC and European version only PAL.”

Can it record in both PAL and NTSC?

Thanks

Welcome to CD Freaks :wink:

As far as I’m aware of, the Lite-On models ending in ‘HC’ or ‘HC+’ will only output in their native TV mode. For example, the LVW-1107HC US model will only output an NTSC signal. If you attempt to play a PAL disc in this DVD recorder, it will convert the signal to NTSC during playback. If you already have this model or know someone else who has, you can easily check to be sure - Go into the Setup menu, go into ‘System’ and have a look for the option ‘TV Type’. If this option is present, then you will be able to play & record both PAL & NTSC content (except from over the air broadcasts).

A similar story applies when recording. An NTSC input will be stored as an NTSC DVD. If you attempt to connect a PAL source to the DVD recorder, it will give an incorrect signal error. I have come across a few mentioning that they have successfully got the DVD recorder to record a PAL signal, but only by starting the recording before they plug the source in, as the DVD recorder seems to be able to convert the input to NTSC.

Most of the original Lite-On series such as the LVW-500x and LVW-5045 will play and record both PAL and NTSC with the exception of broadcasts over the air where it will only record in its native format.

It turns out that they have a triple system TV… but no cable box and they have cable TV (they have a cable-ready “Hyperband” TV). By “Native” you mean Native to the DVD Recorder or the native TV System? That is, would they be able to tune in PAL TV Channels and record them in PAL?

Any idea what would be a good model to bring to Europe? (Unlockable, plays/records properly on PAL, 120/240)

Thanks

The 1107HC1 that I purchased from Best Buy in the U.S. does indeed convert a PAL disc into NTSC format durng playback…and it performs the conversion beautifully. I still can’t believe what Lite-On managed to pack into this deck for the tiny amount of money spent.

With the firmware that’s factory installed, there is no option to select PAL or NTSC playback. I did inadvertantly install firmware that was meant for another country shortly after getting the deck. In addition to begin prompted to select a tuner standard for places like Argentina before reverting back to U.S. firmware, I did notice that the option to choose between NTSC and PAL for playback was part of the menu screens. In fact, the firmware defaulted to PAL once installed, making it more than a bit difficult for me to read the menu screens initially.

Thanks any idea which firmware it was?

There’s still a LVW-5006 at Radio Shack… Will that do the job? (Again, by native regarding TV recording, you mean that it wont record PAL, even off of a PAL signal - how about recording off of a cable box, if they get one)?

Thanks

I just checked a folder on my hard drive that contains firmware downloaded for the 1107HC1. I think this may be the one, judging from the March 2nd download date (I remember updating the firmware shortly after getting the deck earlier that week):

LNMFX019

The correct U.S. firmware, I found out later, was LNMFU019.

LNMFX019 is indeed the firmware I was speaking of. I just loaded it back into my 1107HC1 deck, and upon reboot it was outputting its signal in the PAL format by default.

I didn’t realise that the LVW-1107HC will take firmware from a different region, as I have tried firmwares from various regions with my LVW-1105HC+ and the only firmware it would recognise is the German one (same letters as the firmware loaded but newer version number) and thought the other LVW-110x series would have had a similar restriction. On the other hand, this can be useful if you need to be able to switch between PAL & NTSC on the LVW-1107HC (assuming Lite-On has not yet put a restriction on this model). :iagree:

For the LVW-1107HC, I meant the signal that the DVD recorder gives out. For example, apart from the firmware William5916 came across, the standard firmware that ships on the LVW-1107HC will only deliver an NTSC picture to the TV, i.e. the TV needs to be able to be either an NTSC TV or be NTSC compatible. Unfortunately, I am fairly sure that even with a firmware intended for a different region, the actual TV Tuner in the LVW-1107HC is an NTSC-only tuner. However, assuming you can get the international firmware to load to give PAL-Ouput support, you should be able to record from PAL sources using the DVD player’s AV-inputs excluding the RF input.

I can confirm both my LVW-1105HC+ and LVW-5045 have a universal voltage input (100-240v, 50/60Hz), which gives an indication that this is likely the case for other Lite-On models. As far as I’m aware of, all Lite-On models use the same region unlocking remote sequence (Press Setup, highlight ‘Exit’ and key in 2960). However, the TV-Tuner built into the Lite-On models will only work with broadcasts for the TV standard in that country. For example, no US Lite-On model can tune in TV broadcasts in Europe as far as I’m aware of.

The LVW-500x and LVW-5045 models (both EU and US) give a choice of PAL and NTSC for the TV Type. If you select the other TV Type (such as ‘PAL’ on a US model), you will be able to record in PAL from the AV inputs, but not from PAL over-the-air or cable broadcasts that are fed in through the RF socket. For these, you will either need a European model or use an external tuner such as a VCR to tune in the broadcasts and feed the tuned in channel to the Lite-On via a video cable.

<< I didn’t realise that the LVW-1107HC will take firmware from a different region, as I have tried firmwares from various regions with my LVW-1105HC+ and the only firmware it would recognise is the German one (same letters as the firmware loaded but newer version number) and thought the other LVW-110x series would have had a similar restriction. On the other hand, this can be useful if you need to be able to switch between PAL & NTSC on the LVW-1107HC (assuming Lite-On has not yet put a restriction on this model)>>

I was very surprised that it did accept this firmware…and was even more surprised to discover that the upgrade wasn’t meant for the U.S. model.

I’m almost certain that the Lite-On site that I downloaded this firmware from at the time had it listed as being for North America…but it definitely wasn’t North America firmware. The menu default was Spanish, output default was PAL, and tuner default was Argentina, with an option for Brazil as well.

When reinstalling that firmware as a test this morning, I noticed that it wouldn’t record from my input source (DirecTV) when PAL was selected as the output mode…nothing would happen when record was pressed…so I can’t help but wonder if the deck would have recorded had PAL source material been used.

Thanks alot!

Argentina is Pal N… Cuba is PAL M (according to the WRTH). I’m looking for PAL B&G… (I gather the actual country doesn’t matter, as long as a country with the same standard is chosen?)

Hmm, I guess there is no way of knowing whether it will really record off of a foreign signal unless the unit was purchased and then brought overseas to test?

PAL N and PAL M were the two PAL types for the individual countries that were listed as options.

I also have a Philips DVD player, model DVP-642, which can output a signal in either PAL or NTSC format. It appears to be PAL-M, as the output is viewable on my NTSC set, with the main differences being no chroma signal and a herringbone type of interference.

Anyway, using that player as source, I’ve attempted the following, to see what would happen. I reinstalled the Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay firmware back into my Lite-On deck temporarily.The Philips is currently hooked to the Lite-On’s inputs. The Philips is playing back an NTSC recording, but is set to convert the output to PAL. The Lite-On deck is accepting the PAL signal at its input, and will even perform a credible job of converting that signal back to NTSC for display on my set. There’s a slight but noticeable loss of crispness caused by the conversion, and a slight jerkiness visible in onscreen motion–but it’s perfectly viewable.

However, though the Lite-On can do the above, it’s refusing to record the signal coming from the Philips deck, giving me a “wrong signal type” error. Just to be absolutely certain that signal output had nothing to do with this, I tried recording with the Lite-On’s output set for both PAL-M and PAL-N–it refuses to go into record mode. I have to set it for NTSC, and must set the Philips for NTSC output, before the Lite-On will begin recording.

It would appear from the above that the 1107HC1’s multi-regional capabilities are limited to playback only.