LVD-2010 - Problems with video playback via wireless

I’ve had an LVD-2010 for 10 months or so now and until recently everything has been fine, no complaints about it whatsoever (other than the standard issues with setting it up in the first place!)

However a few weeks ago I had to wipe my PC and reload everything due to a system failure. Since then I have been experiencing playback problems with certain files (downloaded since the PC was reloaded). Some files play fine, but most stick and stutter at least once or twice throughout the playback. Some files are worse to the point where i’ve had to give up on them entirely.

This usually happens when there is a lot of activity on screen, either a particularly hectic title sequence for a tv show (numb3rs for example) or, bizarrely, scenes that involve trees or water.

I have the LVD-2010 connected via an ethernet cable to a Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps wireless router, which is in turn connected to my desktop (Dell Dimension 3000 running Windows XP) through a Wireless link to a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter (WG311T). I have removed the Netgear Utility manager (as pretty sure that wasn’t helping) and connected using the standard windows wireless configuration and things have improved a little but it still isn’t running as well as it was.

I’d appreciate any help anyone can give…

Welcome to the CD Freaks forum :slight_smile:

To me, the issue you are having looks to be a bottle neck between the source of the file and the LVD-2010, especially going by the scenes you pointed out as trees and water take up a lot of bandwidth.

For a start, I would recommend ruling out the wireless link if you can by testing the playback of the scenes that cause an issue with a direct cable temporarily. For example, if you have moved or opened up your PC when you reloaded everything back on, then there is a chance that the wireless antenna may not be in the same spot as it was beforehand. The wireless software generally should not make much of a difference, however from my experience with using D-Link’s PCI DWL-G520, the default Windows wireless was far more reliable the D-Link’s software. If your PCI card has an external antenna attached on a cord, try moving this around. Otherwise, if your PCI card has an antenna directly attached, make sure this is vertical and that no cords are touching or running next to it. The same will apply for the Netgear router also.

If you find that the wireless is not at fault, double-check the drivers on the PC, such as ensure that the hard drive your video content is on is running in the Ultra DMA mode or if it is on an external hard drive that you have USB2.0 drivers installed. Next, ensure that your wireless adapter is indeed running in the 108Mbps mode. Unfortunately, you’ll need to use the Netgear utility to check this, since from my experience Windows will always report a link speed of 108Mbps regardless of what the actual link speed may be.

Finally, while playing a problematic video clip, bring up the task manager just to make sure that nothing is maxing out the CPU during playback.