LVC-9006 Macrovision hack - Anybody?

I bought this LVC-9006 just over a year ago and have, in most part, been contented. For my purposes it has been great, because I wanted the record-VHS-to-DVD capability to pirate educational tapes, which almost never have copy protection.

Except when they do. This is frustrating! I can copy/hack DVDs on my laptop with requisite software, but not lame old VHS?

Just did a re-scan of all the best forums that I know of, and came up with the same unhelpful posts I found a year ago. The only potentially useful byte that I found was that if my firm ware is >= XXXX1098 that I can’t apply the ILO/LiteOn macrovision hack
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/152406 [ul]Has anyone successfully applied a MV hack to an LVC-9006?[/ul]

• How do I know what firmware version I have? And, then, does the LVC-9006 have firmware prior to XXX098 out there (or how can I find out)?
  • Is there some how to kludge around this frustration, using the other equipment I have squirreled away – a ~2.5 year old Sony DVD player and an ancient >12 y old Samsung VCR?

This feels so strange, hacking DVDs and not being able to hack ancient VHS. So it goes.

Many thanks for any help and for prior helpful responses,

-A[ul]
[/ul]

This unit cannot conquer Macrovision.

However, with another VHS player, with
preferably stereo outputs, a video stabilizer
and just a little patience, you can record
these pesty VHS tapes.

Use the inputs in the front of your LVC-9006,
which are down on the bottom right-corner.

Make sure the video from the external VHS is
leading into the stabilizer and then from there
to the LVC-9006.

Use the DVD recorder to record the tape.

This should work. I am doing it, right now. I
am wondering if this stabilizer could be im-
proved on, as I saw a couple of flaws but
it is working. I am 95% happy with this pro-
cess. I think I will get another stabilizer.

So, take heart. IT IS POSSIBLE TO BACK-UP
MACROVISIONED TAPES, WITH THE LVC-9006.

Does anyone have or know where I can
get this firmware update?

LNNDU080.E30

I read that someone was successful, with
the ILOHack of this particular firmware.

Get a Sima CT-200 Digital Video Duplicator. Hook it up between the VCR and DVD recorder. This should take care of your problem.