Lumix ZS7 videos have perfect picture but no sound on dvd transfer

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix ZS7 point and shoot camera. I bought it mainly for still photos but I am very impressed with its video capability also. I have recorded myself performing songs and would now like to transfer these to a dvd disc.

Problem I have, although the picture quality is pretty good, I am unable to get any sound at all on the disc. I have them On Youtube already just fine and also on Facebook. How do I get both sound and picture for these songs onto a dvd?

Thanks for any pointers.

Gordon.:smiley:

What program are you using to put them on a DVD?

If you have one of these files on the computer, open it with MediaInfo (using the Tree view within MediaInfo). Copy and paste the details here in your thread. This should show the video and audio codecs used in your video.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Looking at the specs for your camera, it doesn’t produce anything that is compatible with dvd-video unless converted.

What are you using to play back the video? Are you trying to use a stand-alone dvd player?

Hi there,
Thanks for the responses so far. To clarify: So far I have used the PhotoFunStudio software that came with the Lumix camera. All my videos have used the AVCD Lite format which I then convert to MPEG2 format using the Photo Fun Studio software. In the on-line manual, it does state that the AVCD format can be burned directly to a dvd.

Maybe what I need to try is to record the video in the JPEG option which I have not tried yet. Maybe doing it this way would be more versatile. The software also enables me to place the videos direct into Youtube which as worked fine using the AVCD Lite format.

As I mentioned initially, my only problem is getting sound onto a dvd as well as the picture. The video picture is fine, just no sound.

The players I am hoping to play back on are a Samsung Bluray player and/or a Bose dvd player.

Thanks again, Gordon.:confused:

If you burn an AVCHD file to a disk, you’ll need to play it back on your blu ray player, or appropriate software on a computer. It will not be in dvd-video format. This assumes that your blu ray player is compatible with AVCHD…not all are.

Converting to mpeg2 is fine, but not all players can play mpeg2 files that are not authored into dvd-video. Also, we still don’t know the codec used in the audio.

Once it is converted, do you have a simple file with an mpg or mpeg extension, or do you have folders called Video_TS and Audio_TS? I’m trying to find out if you have mpeg2 that has been put into dvd format or not.

Thanks for the help,

I’m at work right now so I’ll post more details when I get home and can check the break down of the files.

As you may have guessed already, this techy stuff is not my forte so would it be more simple to opt for the jpeg option at the camera stage? Would this make it more straight forward?

Cheers,Gordon.

I’m not sure about “more straightforward”. You won’t get the video quality when using jpeg that you get with AVCHD-lite, 720P, so that may be an issue.
As Kerry56 stated, not all blu-ray players support AVCHD, some Samsung do and some don’t, and you can’t playback the same disk on a regular DVD player either. Your jpeg (or mjpeg) will probably be in an AVI container which you will then have to convert to a DVD compliant mpeg2 (VOB) format. I don’t know if your software can do this but there are plenty of freeware apps that can. Does your PhotoFunStudio burn the disks or do you use a separate burning program? You might want to consider using MultiAVCDH, http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/, to author a compliant blu-ray and/or DVD disk from your AVCHD source files, at least the video quality will be better than using mjpeg. What player are you using to play the disks with no sound, PC or standalone?

The Lumix software lets me convert to the mpeg2 format and I have managed to upload the videos both in mpeg2 and the original AVCHD Lite formats to Youtube, - no problems there.
The players I have tried so far are my Samsung Blu Ray,(can’t remeber the model # off hand), a Bose 321 dvd player and also my pc. Same results on all players… that is a decent picture, good enough for me anyway, but no sound at all. It does say in the software that if converted to mpeg2, it should burn onto a regular dvd ok…
I’ll get it sorted eventually but with my limited knowledge in this area I seem to have hit a brick wall…

Is there a chance that the disc I am using is not suitable. From memory, it’s a DVD-R with I think 4.7 GB capacity. Should this work ok? I was hoping I could burn these videos onto a regular dvd and then mail it to my parents in England so they could see and hopefully hear my songs too.

I don’t have a lot of patience with this stuff so if I don’t get it soon, I’ll just let them see it on Youtube. ha, ha…

Thanks, Gordon.

[QUOTE=GordonDaktari;2542156]

Is there a chance that the disc I am using is not suitable. From memory, it’s a DVD-R with I think 4.7 GB capacity. Should this work ok? I was hoping I could burn these videos onto a regular dvd and then mail it to my parents in England so they could see and hopefully hear my songs too.

I don’t have a lot of patience with this stuff so if I don’t get it soon, I’ll just let them see it on Youtube. ha, ha…

Thanks, Gordon.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with your disks and if the converted videos play on YouTube with sound but not on your players, including the PC, I’m baffled. You could try the program I suggested, MultiAVCHD, to create a DVD compliant video from your source files and see if you get sound. Play the video from your hard drive before you burn to disk. Just for giggles, put one of your burned disks in the PC, don’t play it, just right click the drive and select “Explore” and post back with the files that are there. You should have a Video_TS folder and within that you should have at least one VOB file.

Hi there,
Ok, What follows is a list of what is on the dvd. There are I think four seperate videos so it does get a little confusing. All with picture but no sound. for some reason it won’t allow me to copy the list directly but there are three formats for each video it seems.
Each video has MPEG file, VOB file and BUP file.
It’s all Geek to me… any ideas?
Gordon.

DVD video should consist of a Video_TS folder, containing files with three different extensions. You should see files that look like this:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_1.BUP
VTS_01_1.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
etc.

The VOB files contain the actual video and audio streams. The IFO files are navigation files and the BUP files are backups to the IFO files. What you shouldn’t see in a Video_TS folder is any file with an .mpeg or .mpg extension. They won’t hurt anything being there, but the player won’t see them.

Again, I ask that you download and install MediaInfo. Use the Tree view and open the VTS_01_1.VOB file with it. This will tell us the audio codec that is in there and if it is compatible. It is entirely possible to make a dvd video with MP2 audio, which will not always play on dvd players for the US market.