Lucky, bought a 48125W got a 48126S

I just bought a LTR-48125W from www.nexthardwareshop.com for 65 dollars after s/h here in the U.S. Naturally the first thing I did was to try to upgrade the firmware to VS08, but it told me my drive wasn’t one that I can use the upgrade for. So I checked with Nero InfoTools and it turns out I got a LTR-48126S, course I updated to the latest 2V0D firmware.

This just goes to show that, while sometimes mishaps can happen with online purchases, sometimes they are for the better. I have heard of too many people recently giving up buying stuff online cause of a few bad experiences.

Just outta curiousity, according to one of the sticky thread, the model I got may be flashable to a 48246 or 52246. Has anyone tried that yet?

I’m curious about the same thing, but I haven’t been able to download a copy of the bios for the 48246s.

The downloads from Lite-On are packaged as executable windows files which check the drive first and only flash if it is the appropriate drive frimware.

Does anyone have the bios for the the 48246s???

Where can the image be found?

http://liteon.notrix.net/

This just goes to show that, while sometimes mishaps can happen with online purchases, sometimes they are for the better. I have heard of too many people recently giving up buying stuff online cause of a few bad experiences.

Don’t you just love it when people generalize and assume the whole is bad when they encounter a tiny bit of mishap. They have my pity. Word of wise, check resellerratings.com before rushing into super duper deals. And always shop from legit sites like Dell.com, Newegg.com, or amazon.com.

Just outta curiousity, according to one of the sticky thread, the model I got may be flashable to a 48246 or 52246. Has anyone tried that yet?

KenL’ stuff

But he got a 48246S, that’s a lil different, even if the same chipset. And I’d like to hear more success stories before I try going for either one.

Also anyone got some links to reviews of those drives?

So dfourthhorseman, where exactly is the Lite-On plugged in on your system? You using externally or replace something, or just leave it within a few feet of the IDE channel and it somehow works?

So dfourthhorseman, where exactly is the Lite-On plugged in on your system? You using externally or replace something, or just leave it within a few feet of the IDE channel and it somehow works?

Oh you mean cause I didn’t write the whole IDE info like I did with the others? Well that’s because its on a different machine in my house, but I thought I’d include it as I have access to it.

Btw, its a great drive, it used no brands CMC 32x CD-Rs I got for $8.99 a 50pk, and it burns at 48x with no errors, that’s impressive, since even my Plextor sometimes get failed writes at 24x. Makes me wanna change the drives with each other so this one gets the Lite-On. :slight_smile:

Awesome, my 48125w still doesn’t like CMC, but it writes everything else fine. Lately I’ve been using some “Prodisc” that I thought I remember someone here bashing…but no problems so I’m happy. The 52x Lite-On at that site is cheaper than what I bought the 48125w at…alas but 4x isn’t worth it. If I can scrounge up the cash I’m gonna get myself the Sony DVD writer that does both formats and an external bay, unless Lite-On comes out with a similiar model for less money (hint, hint). You going to test out it’s overclockability yourself? I would be interested in the results, even if I don’t own the drive (yet, bwahahaha…or not)

All these bad CD-R makers are I think getting their CDs better. I didn’t buy the 52x one myself cause I really didnt care for the 24x rewrite since most of my CD-RW discs are either 4x or 10x.

As for doing it myself, I’m definitely tempted. I’ll do it when like new firmwares gets released to match more media to the 52x, there are some reviews of the drive (tho I don’t really care really), or most importantly someone else has tried it. Or when I get some ultra speed discs. :slight_smile:

It should by all means work tho, maybe I’ll do it this long weekend.

Both writers and CD-discs are getting better and better, and remember all CMC are not crap, they have some good quality lines in their factories as well :slight_smile:

Is it normal for the Lite-On to sound like my DVD drive? My Plextor is awfully quiet during reads and writes, but the Lite-On’s spin-ups and spin-downs can be heard pretty plainly.