LTR32123s causes system lock up during boot sequence

vbimport

Hi,

it happens to me al least once a week that my system locks up during the boot sequence. At first time it is coming through "Detecting the IDE drives" check, through SCSI card boot check and then at the moment W2k have to start up, systems locks up. Even CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't help. After the restart of the computer, the system stops at "Detecting the IDE drives" check and that all. CTRL+ALT+DEL is now possible and coming in BIOS sometimes too. By next restart it wil happens the same. It wil stop at "Detecting the IDE drives".

Workaround : unplug LTR32123s power or IDE cable and the system wil start up again. Then plug in drive's power or IDE cable and the system wil start up wwithout any problems.

I don't get it, why this happens. It happens from the time LTR32123s is in my system. Before that I had HP 7200i at the sam cable, same IDE controler, nothing is changed in my configuration. And I had never even a small problem for a years.

Any suggestion?

My configuration :

ABIT BE6-II
256 MB
Maxtor 13 Gb drive Primary IDE Master
Primary IDE slave : None
LTR32123s : Secondary IDE MAster
Secondary IDE salve : None

More info :

Drive Information

Drive : LITE-ON LTR-32123S
Type : CD-R Recorder
Firmware Version : XS0U
Buffer Size : 1984 KB
Date : ?
Serial Number : ?
Drive Letter : D:\
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed (Max.) : 40 X
Write Speed (Max.) : 32 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : No
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : No
Read DVD-RW : No
Read DVD+RW : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : No
Write DVD-R : No
Write DVD-RW : No
Write DVD+RW : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Disc Information (D:)

Type : - no disc inserted -

Drive Information

Drive : PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS
Type : CD-ROM Drive
Firmware Version : 1.05
Buffer Size : 0 KB
Date : 04-06-01
Serial Number : ?
Drive Letter : E:\
Modes : n/a

Disc Information (E:)

Type : - no disc inserted -

Interface Information

Adapter 1

Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 5.00.2195.2247
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description : Master: Maxtor 91303D6
Type : Disk Drive
DMA : On

Adapter 2

Description : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 5.00.2195.2247
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description : Master: LITE-ON LTR-32123S
Type : CD-Rom Drive
DMA : On
Autorun : On

Adapter 3

Description : Symbios Logic 875XS|D, 2280X PCI SCSI Adapter

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\symc8xx.sys
Company : LSI Logic
Version : 5.00.2195.1620
Description : Symbios 8XX SCSI Miniport Driver

Attached Devices
Description : ID 3 (0): PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.05
Type : CD-Rom Drive
Autorun : On

Software Information

Operating System : Windows 2000 Professional
ASPI : Nero Aspi Library 2.0.1.45 Ahead Software AG

Description : Nero - Burning Rom
Version : 5, 5, 8, 0
Company : Ahead Software AG

are there any disk in the drive when you boot??
is the master/slave setting on the drive it self correct???

your liteon 32123s is udma2 capable device.

try to look in your bios settings for secondary master unit:

(normally udma is set to auto)

try to change settings manually

maybe a updated bios for your mobo can be useful

To damiandimitri :

>>are there any disk in the drive when you boot??

No. The drive is empty.

>>is the master/slave setting on the drive it self correct???

Yes. It is master switch (closest to IDE cable).

rafale31 :

>>your liteon 32123s is udma2 capable device.
>>try to look in your bios settings for secondary master unit:
>>(normally udma is set to auto)
>>try to change settings manually
>>maybe a updated bios for your mobo can be useful

BIOS settings for secondary channel are : Auto or Disabled. Currently it is set to : Auto.

I’m have already the latest BIOS for my mobo.

Any other suggestion?

Zmaj.

zmaj:

By next restart it wil happens the same. It wil stop at “Detecting the IDE drives”.

Workaround : unplug LTR32123s power or IDE cable and the system wil start up again. Then plug in drive’s power or IDE cable and the system wil start up wwithout any problems.

I don’t get it, why this happens. It happens from the time LTR32123s is in my system. Before that I had HP 7200i at the sam cable, same IDE controler, nothing is changed in my configuration. And I had never even a small problem for a years.

The IDE cables may either be faulty, especially if old, or one of the cable connectors might be loose.

Things to try:

1. From Win2K or BIOS, set the slaves on both primary and secondary to “None”. If you have set your devices to DMA, you’ll know how. :slight_smile:

2. Try replacing your IDE cables one at a time and see if it makes a difference.

3. It may also be that it is NOT your drive causing the problem. Generally, long boot times are because of a fault in one of the peripherals like cables, floppy drives etc.

This boot time can be extremely long on occasion.

Hope this helps.

To burnproof :

First at all, thanx for Your reply:

1.) I tried already to set all slaven to None in BIOS. This does’t help. DMA for my HD and LTR32123s (masters) is set to Auto.

2.) I have purchased already new 40 pins IDE cable and put LTR32123s on it. Doesn’t help. I can try to swap this cable with other one my HD is attached to.

3.) Maybe, but the problem is being born after LTR23123s has came in my system.

I have the newest BIOS for my Mobo and I have the latest firmware for 23123s, xs0x (tried alos xs0u,xs0f).

Zmaj.

Sorry that didn’t help. If you still feel like experimenting, try these:

1. Check that none of the power connectors to the drive has any loose pins.

2. Remove the 32123s from your system. Check that there are no extra jumpers apart from the M/Sl/CSEL jumper.

3. Run your fingertip over all the pins that form the IDE connector. If you feel any of them shaking with fear or even trembling :smiley: return your drive and get a replacement.

4. If the answer to 3 is “No” and the pins bite back, check your drive with only the IDE cable and power connected. Do not connect the audio cable.

5. Connect the 32123S as slave (after the appropriate jumper change) on the primary IDE and see if it works. If it does, your secondary IDE channel would have become defective and your mobo might have to be replaced.

Good luck.

Even though my Litey LTD163 and LTR32123S are both UDMA33 devices, and the 40 conductor cable should be good enough, I instead use an 80 conductor conductor cable. I have both on the secondary IDE channel, with the burner as master. BIOS is set for auto detection and UDMA. UDMA is enabled in control panel (Win2K). Everything works fine. I don’t use the cable select, I set the jumpers appropriately.

Try an 80 conductor cable.

You may have a bad drive or bad IDE channel.

Originally posted by burnproof
[B]Sorry that didn’t help. If you still feel like experimenting, try these:

1. Check that none of the power connectors to the drive has any loose pins.

2. Remove the 32123s from your system. Check that there are no extra jumpers apart from the M/Sl/CSEL jumper.

3. Run your fingertip over all the pins that form the IDE connector. If you feel any of them shaking with fear or even trembling :smiley: return your drive and get a replacement.

4. If the answer to 3 is “No” and the pins bite back, check your drive with only the IDE cable and power connected. Do not connect the audio cable.

5. Connect the 32123S as slave (after the appropriate jumper change) on the primary IDE and see if it works. If it does, your secondary IDE channel would have become defective and your mobo might have to be replaced.

Good luck. [/B]

Thanx again,

1.) Checked. Everything seems OK.
2.) Checked. It is Master. No add jumprs.
3.) Checked. Everything seems OK.
4.) I don’t use any audio cable. What do You mena with “only the IDE cable and power connected”?
5.) This option I will try when/if problem occurs again. It happens not every day. mostly once in in the week.

Can I have maybe unstable powr supply? What do You think about that?

Thanx ,

Zmaj.

Originally posted by Tremo
[B]Even though my Litey LTD163 and LTR32123S are both UDMA33 devices, and the 40 conductor cable should be good enough, I instead use an 80 conductor conductor cable. I have both on the secondary IDE channel, with the burner as master. BIOS is set for auto detection and UDMA. UDMA is enabled in control panel (Win2K). Everything works fine. I don’t use the cable select, I set the jumpers appropriately.

Try an 80 conductor cable.

You may have a bad drive or bad IDE channel. [/B]

I have one 80 conductor cable, but this one dosn’t fit into mobo IDE socket. This cable has 39 dots and doesn’t fit into the mobo’s IDE. Normally, 40 conductor cable has 40 dots.

Is there another 80 conductor cable ?

Zmaj.

4.) I don’t use any audio cable. What do You mena with “only the IDE cable and power connected”?

What I already said - connect only power and IDE cables, NOT the audio cable.

BTW, I don’t think you have an unstable power supply (I presume you are referring to the system SMPS). However, if you feel that power supply is faulty (or wattage is inadequate), try this. The next time the problem occurs, disconnect the power and IDE cable from your SCSI drive (Plextor) and then reboot.