LTR12101B CD Spinup

Suddenly, my LTR12101B will not read any cd placed in the drive.
The “spinup” sound of the mechanism is no longer present when a cd is placed within, though the green light shows initially when the drive closes.
Any help on how to solve this problem would be most appreciated…

-ad

Well I had my liteon for a long time…

about a week ago it started to fail miserably often. Tried to clean it but it wasnt that. Tried many different cdr brands and they all failed.

Well it has been a loyal and reliable friend and several 1000 cd’s burned and very few failures. i guess less than 20.

They are so cheap now the new liteons that I cant stand the hassle if something goes wrong. I just threw the old unit out and in with a new one.
I suggest you do the same

Post your computer specs, update your firmware, BIOS, and chipset, and try reinstalling the drivers then report back.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Post your computer specs, update your firmware, BIOS, and chipset, and try reinstalling the drivers then report back.

This will in no way help this person!

To elimanate the motherboard / drivers etc disconnect the drive from the IDE channel, put disk in, if it does not spin up = drive failure - plain and simple.

pancake31’s suggestion is a wise one.

Will_Bill you really must be a moron to say that, that won’t help at all. True it may not do anything but it’s worth a shot.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Will_Bill you really must be a moron to say that, that won’t help at all. True it may not do anything but it’s worth a shot.

Less of the name calling - You have been warned!

Lesson One - You DO NOT upgrade firmware, BIOS or chipset drivers when you are chasing a fault! These actions in themselves could introduce further issues, and you may never get to the bottom of the initial one!

Originally posted by Wild_Bill
You DO NOT upgrade firmware, BIOS or chipset drivers when you are chasing a fault! These actions in themselves could introduce further issues, and you may never get to the bottom of the initial one!
Well it depends on the fault, problems arising from poor media compatability and/or bad/corrupted bus/chipset drivers or burning software etc are good enough of a reason for someone to do a firmware/driver/software update. A drive that doesnt spin doesnt fall within this category though.

I was making reference to this thread only.

Sounds like the motor could be dead.

The motor could be dead, and since it just happened all of a sudden it probably is. But I have noticed similiar issues when I’m burning a DVD, no deal once it’s done burning though. Perhaps the OS is just busy doin something else, though idk what. One other thing to ask, during the night was there like a storm or anything that could have caused a power surge? Something may have been fried.

Originally posted by Wild_Bill
I was making reference to this thread only.
Yes i know, just making it clear for others :slight_smile: