LTR-52327S on the fly burning problem

Hi, first of all Im new here and would like to say hello to all members here.:smiley: Anyway basically I have just bought the burner mentioned and am having problems burning my cd’s on the fly. When I choose on the fly the burner kicks in no problem and at full speed (52X). However, at about 12% the burner will slow right down and the read buffer will go to about 49% and the record buffer will fluctuate like mad. This results in the burner taking 10 MINS to burn one cd on the fly. What could be the problem its driving me nuts. I am using windows xp sp1 with DMA enabled on both drives Nero 5.5.50 (well the latest version) and firmware QS09. My source drive is a LG 8160 DVD. I have no problem with on the fly data burning (full speed).

It sounds like your source drive is too slow. Try burning at 32x or 40x.

BTW, when you say that on the fly data burning works fine, you mean burning data from the hard drive, right?

Is that “Total Recall”? Welcome to the forum!

Your problem is with either the source drive or with your IDE controller. How are you configured on the IDE controller? If you’re burning audio on the fly, the LG may not be able to read them fast enough, you can use CDSpeed to check it’s read speed with the same audio discs. (transfer rate test). DVD readers are noted for poor audio extraction speeds.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Is that “Total Recall”? Welcome to the forum!

Your problem is with either the source drive or with your IDE controller. How are you configured on the IDE controller? If you’re burning audio on the fly, the LG may not be able to read them fast enough, you can use CDSpeed to check it’s read speed with the same audio discs. (transfer rate test). DVD readers are noted for poor audio extraction speeds. [/B]

I did do a speed test on my dvd drive and it was only getting about 12X ish on the transfer rate. My burner is setup as master on the secondary ide controller and the dvd as slave. Oh and burning data on the fly was making a backup of my nero express cd that came with the burner (not from hd) which was at full speed.

OK, so you now know that the DVD will not extract audio at more than 12x. The burner will do it at 40x or 48x, so it’ll be quicker to use the burner for audio extraction. Your only solution, if you want to do fast audio copies on the fly, is to replace the DVD drive.

It sounds like your DVD-ROM drive isn’t very good at DAE. You’ll either have to copy audio discs very slowly, or you’ll have to copy the audio disc to an image on the hdd (using the burner) and then burn that back to a blank disc.

Edit: I see that Rdgrimes just posted the same thing.

Thanks for the help peeps, but I am still having a problem. I tried doing a cd copy but allowing nero to burn a image to the drive first. Howevr it is only burning the image to the drive @ 2,000kb? Why is it so slooooow?:a

Why is it so slooooow?

What drive are you using as the source? the LG?
Use the burner instead, if so.

No its the Liteon drive? Thats what I cant understand, I have just reinstalled nero as well to see if that will fi the prob but no joy:a

Try a different audio disc, that one might be of poor quality, damaged or copy protected. How does this disc run in the transfer rate test in CDSpeed on the burner?

Well I just treid again and did about 5 simulation runs and my Liteon recorder is burning at the right speed now. On the fly is still pretty much useless, but that is due to my dvd player as the transfer rate proves. It is burning a image of the cd in about 2 mins, then burning that image back off the harddrive in bout 2 mins as well. So 4 mins for a image then burn is about right yeah? I really do appreciated your help thanks very much.:bow:

Sounds right to me. All the LiteOn drives are really good at audio extraction. Have fun, and don’t forget to check your burns with Kprobe to be sure you’re getting the best results.

Will do thanks again m8:D