LTR-52327S Coming Soon

As posted by avationwiz on cdrlabs: here

The Lite-ON site on its product page mentions the “LTR - 52327S COMING SOON !!”

No mention of a LTR-52326S there though.

:frowning: I want a 52326

S*it. It means we can’t upgrade our series 6 to that one :frowning:

But who the hell needs 32x rewrite? Not me.

Originally posted by vio_man
S*it. It means we can’t upgrade our series 6 to that one :frowning:

Maybe we will.

:cool:

Originally posted by vio_man
[B]S*it. It means we can’t upgrade our series 6 to that one :frowning:

But who the hell needs 32x rewrite? Not me. [/B]

As long as 512mb usb storage is still expensive, I will continue to use 24x RWs to exchange data with my friends. I certainly wouldn’t mind having faster rewrite speeds like 32x :bigsmile:. Looks like Samsung is the first one out the door though with their 52/32/52 cdrw drive.

Does anyone know the difference between the MediaTek 6 and 7 chipsets??

What are the improvements?

Reading beyond the Leadout, reading the pregap before the first audio-track, …???

Can’t Mediatek-6 do this already? At least reading the leadout is supported.

Maybe the merging bit generator is reworked :smiley:

At least reading the leadout is supported.

What I meant, was reading after the LeadOut.
If I’m correct this is used on some Console games.

i doubt there will be any changes in 7 series except higher re-write speeds.

i was under the impression that the 7 series was going to be the combo dvd & cd writer.

Originally posted by funfun
i was under the impression that the 7 series was going to be the combo dvd & cd writer.

the 7 series burners may be convertible to a DVD/CD-RW combo by a simple firmware flash. you never know. :wink:

Originally posted by TerminatorShawn
[B]

the 7 series burners may be convertible to a DVD/CD-RW combo by a simple firmware flash. you never know. :wink: [/B]

Umm that would require two lasers to be built into each drive. I think that’s a little bit of overkill for a CD only burner.

I could be wrong tho.

Ari

Originally posted by ari
[B]

Umm that would require two lasers to be built into each drive. I think that’s a little bit of overkill for a CD only burner.

I could be wrong tho.

Ari [/B]

I’m pretty sure that it would not require two lasers. Don’t get your hopes up for being able to convert your CD-RW drive to a combo drive though…

man liteon is gonna use series 7 chipset just to piss us off and make us buy new drives. Kind of messed up since series 6 hasn’t been out all that long. Maybe well get lucky and be able to flash 6-7 but its highly improbable.

Perhaps liteon is starting to get greedy. Oh well i guess i’ll sell my 52x series 6 when series 7 comes out and buy that

I seriously doubt that LiteOn would go to the expense of making a drive with a new chipset if they did’t have to, they’re too cheap. Most likely the new drive required a new chip to work, they are dependant on Mediatek to make these work. However there are rumors of a 52326S, so let’s not lose hope yet.

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]

I’m pretty sure that it would not require two lasers. Don’t get your hopes up for being able to convert your CD-RW drive to a combo drive though… [/B]

DVD and CD work on different wavelengths if I’m not mistaken. That takes two different lasers, unless they combine two into one.

I remember seeing a diagram a long time ago showing how DVD drives used two lasers (again… things have probably changed…). One to pick up CD data and the other for DVD.

I am not gonna claim to be right on this, just what I remembered.

–Ari

i’m sure that even if it doesn’t require two separate lasers for cd and dvd, it would still require additional or different hardware to allow the laser to also read/write dvds. u’re right about cds and dvds working on separate wavelengths ari.

but you never know about lite-ons.

if they can use an Ultraspeed RW media compatible chipset in a 48x12x48x burner (48126S) which can be overclocked upto 52x24x52x, they can use an all-in-one chipset DVD±RW/CD-RW & only implement some of the features like DVD-R, DVD+R or only CD-RW (e.g. 52x32x52x) & so on.

the possibilities are endless.

i may be exagarating but, you can’t tell.
:wink:

think about it: if u can buy a cd burner and flash it to become a dvd burner, why would u spend several times more money for a “real” dvd burner? lite-on (and the rebadgers) would lose A LOT of money if they allowed such a thing to happen. the impact of being able to overclock ur cd burner to a faster speed does not have nearly the same ramifications as the ability to change ur cd burner into a dvd burner.

on top of that, they’d have to include the dvd-capable hardware (i’m sure it’s not as simple as just a chipset) in the drive as well, which would mean additional costs for the parts.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
[B]think about it: if u can buy a cd burner and flash it to become a dvd burner, why would u spend several times more money for a “real” dvd burner? lite-on (and the rebadgers) would lose A LOT of money if they allowed such a thing to happen. the impact of being able to overclock ur cd burner to a faster speed does not have nearly the same ramifications as the ability to change ur cd burner into a dvd burner.

on top of that, they’d have to include the dvd-capable hardware (i’m sure it’s not as simple as just a chipset) in the drive as well, which would mean additional costs for the parts. [/B]

perfectly right m8. we can atleast hope for it to happen. :bigsmile: