LTR- 52246S (6s07) & 99 min discs

I burned a 96 minute data disc today @ 8x, and was checking it for errors when that occurred. Note the read speed!

The disc finished with 0 errors.

If you have this drive and thought about trying out 99 minute discs, go for it. Remember, 8x or lower for quality 99 minute burns!

I had a similar result with a 98 minute audio disc:

You forgot to post a picture of a scan of a faster burn, so “burn at 8x to get better writing quality” is just a (probably wrong) guess…you also forgot to post the ATIP…

Originally posted by alexnoe
You forgot to post a picture of a scan of a faster burn, so “burn at 8x to get better writing quality” is just a (probably wrong) guess…you also forgot to post the ATIP…

Here’s the ATIP & Smart Burn information:

99 Minute Spindle (100 pack) from Yesbuy.net rated at 40x
ATIP: 96m 43s 37f
Disc Manufacturer: Unknown Disc Identification Code
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 96m 43s 37f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK (90min)
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

I’ve tried to make some faster 99 minute discs, but the results were not acceptable. In some cases, the burn will not finish at all, it’s as though the burner can’t track the groove on the outer edge at higher speeds.

As I make more 99 minute burns, I’ll try and increase the speed to see where the maximum is. My theory has always been: cut costs by lowering the speed and prevent a coaster. 99 minute discs are still about $1.00 each here in Canada. My burn @ 48x failed to finish at all. I’m reluctant to make too many coasters, just to find out a maximum speed.

DataTrack 99min burn fine at 16x, but seem to malfunction at 40x.

It is really not a general rule to burn any media at 8x or whatever. It’s usually bad media or media the writer dislikes which works at 8x by chance…you will certainly also find media which causes coasters at 8x, but works at higher speeds (e.g. Moser Baer are candidats for that)

Considering the strange price of 99min media, I prefer DVD-R :slight_smile:

I had cause to try again last night. So I tried another audio cd (98 + minutes).
This was the result @ 32x.

The read buffer actually ran dry at one point.

I tried to scan it with CD Quality, but the drive was spinning up an down wildly, so I went right to wses. Note that I set wses up for a full 99 minutes, but it stopped at 90 minutes.

I still have to make a working copy, so I’ll try again @ 24x.

EDIT:

@ 24x the big spike was twice as large as the one @ 32x, I had to use a scale of 400 to view it all! The buffer did not run dry @ 24, so the disc may actually sound ok. I’ll give it a listen when I can.

Update: the 1st track had a problem, it’s garbage.

Drum Roll please:
I’ve now tested all burn speeds (below 48x) on the LTR 52246s with 99 minute discs. The ATIP is the same as above. Ritek 99 minute discs. 40x rated. Smart Burn rated @ 48x.

The absolute highest speed with 0 errors was…

48x failed
40x failed
32x failed
24x minor success, no errors reported, but 1st track had a problem. That = failure in my mind.
16x success !
12x success !
8x success !
4x success !

16x is the winner in my tests.

This is with the 6s08 firmware.

Originally posted by Spazmogen
This is with the 6s08 firmware.

where can I get this firmware liteon site only offers 6s07 ??

edit nevermind got it now

For anyone else interested in it: http://www.liteonit.com.tw/webfw/LTR-52246S/R526S08.zip