Sorry for the length of this post, but this problem is really irritating me. I’ve posted the following at the MSI and Tech Report fora, hoping for answers:
just posted this on MSI’s forum site; hoping that more eyes come up with more answers:
Motherboard: MSI KT4 Ultra SR (MS-6590-020) KT400 Chipset
RAM Slot-1: 512MB Corsair XMS2700 CMX512-2700C2 set by SPD
Display card: MSI GF4-Ti4200 128MB (MS-8886) no O/C
IDE-1M: Western Digital WD800JB Mode 5 Ultra ATA
IDE-2M: Lite-On LTR-48125W Mode 2 Ultra ATA Firmware VS08
PCI-2: USR 5610B Modem (not sure of slot assignment)
PCI-4: Microsoft MN-130 10/100 Ethernet adapter
PSU: Antec TruePower 330W, 310W combined 3.3/5/12
BIOS revision: 1.0
Operating System: Win XP Pro and XP Pro SP1
VIA 4-in-1 drivers : 4.42, 4.43, 4.45 Hyperion
WPRCEDIT/SET mod to fix/remove Cooler XP (tried both with and without PCI register modifications, STPGNT enable and HLT enable)
Burning Software: Nero 18.104.22.168 bundled, upgraded to 22.214.171.124
Here’s the rub. When I built this system 2 months ago, I could burn CDs at 48X no problem. I’ve shown upgrade paths above, CD burning not affected by any upgrade/update. Last weekend I hosed the system and had to reformat/reinstall. All specs are at latest shown above. Since then, any attempt to burn faster than 32X fails at the 96%/97% area in Nero’s progress bar. 32X works sometimes, but I usually have to drop down to 24X to be safe. I’ve tried all 3 sets of 4-in-1s listed above, disabled WPCREDIT mods, run both versions of Nero, set BIOS to setup defaults, Hi-perf defaults, and run each change incrementally and in combination with others. All to no effect, I’m still maxed out at 32X. The part that burns me is that NOTHING HAS CHANGED from the system that worked at 48X for the past 2 months. Help please (DEATH TO VIA); as Darth VIA strikes again.
Replies telling me to buy an NForce 2 aren’t helpful, as The Boss (A/K/A She Who Must Be Obeyed) has put a big cap on my computing budget. It will be my next purchase, but I want to get the current rig working at top speed again.
This next bit is in response to a less-than-helpful idea:
The point I’m trying to make is that the system worked fine and burned at 48X even with WPCREDIT/SET modifications prior to my reformat/reinstall. Since then, I’ve tried any and all combination of 4-in-1s, Nero versions, default BIOS settings; nothing works. Burning speed is still limited to 32X. Using Nero’s Speed Determination and Simulation setting, I get an error message saying that the burner was not being fed data quickly enough to burn at 48X and 40X. Since the data is coming from the hard drive at IDE Primary Master, through the southbridge and back out to the CD-RW drive at IDE Secondary Master (and this has not changed since I built the 'puter), I don’t see how it can be anything other than Darth VIA.
What I’m missing here, and trying desperatly to discover, is what the crucial difference is between pre-crash and post-crash configuration. When I reinstalled after the crash, I did so in the same order I did when I built the machine (us anal types keep checklists and change logs). All updates post-rebuild were applied in the same manner as pre-rebuild. Since all the players are the same and the names/slots/configs haven’t changed, I’m at a total loss to explain the observed behavior.