LTR-48125W or wait for the LTR-48126W

vbimport

Can anyone help I am just about to order the LTR-48125W. But in a earler thread I read that they are bringing a new LTR-48126W out with a ver 6 chip, if this is correct should I wait or go ahead and buy the LTR-48125W but I wonder if the LTR-48125W will be able to be upgraded as all the other LTR-?????w or not. Thanks in advance for any help.:confused: :slight_smile:

The new model is likely to have higher REWRITE speeds. If that is important enough, you might want to wait.

I’m 99% sure that the LTR-48125W can’t be upgraded to higher speeds at all.

I do not know how far away the LTR-48126W is, maybe a month or two…maybe earlier…

The LTR-48126W may bring better write quality or other improvements but we do not know yet…

I’m 99% sure that the LTR-48125W can’t be upgraded to higher speeds at all

If someone can send me the firmware, I’m willing to try the 1% :slight_smile:

Well I could not wait for 48/24/48 drive so I got 40125S and o/ced it to a 48x cdrw…and will upgrade to the newer drive in several months when it is released…

The write quality maybe better on the 48126W but no one knows as the drive is not available for testing …I would get a 40125S…use at 40x and get perfect burns…or overclock and get high quality media for the 48x burns…the difference in write quality boils down to media qaulity it seems…

the newer 48x drive is going to be more expensive as well and only about 15 sec faster than the 40 x drive if you compare 40x speed to 48x speed

48126 isn’t on the market. It uses a different chipset (series 6) than the 48125 (series 5). I think trying to use the firmware for it would be a rather big mistake.

I’d imagine that it might have better write capabilities and the rewrite speed for this burner is 16X… so it’s slightly faster.

If you want faster re-write speeds, the Yamaha CRW-F1 should be here in a week or two with FULL CAV burning @ 44X24X44.

Lite-On is faster since it supports 48X FUL CAV and 48X reading.

The yamaha is still faster at ReWriting though…until the new Lite-On models arrives.

Yamaha writers always had some nice features (such as P-CAV for 16x, 20x and 24x, or 8 MB of buffer), but they always lacked of standard features (capability to write to crap media, no c2-scans RAW-DAO mode was only available with their 16x writers and later etc), so we should wait till the new one ist properly tested.

Alex, haven’t you figured out yet that the 48125W doesn’t write to crap media either? Might as well toss that theory out the window as a shortfall for just the Yamaha. That’s why mine went back to Newegg.

You also might want to look at the new specs rather than quoting specs from previous products. Given the level of competition on the market, I would assume that Yamaha has addressed some of the product shortfalls in this refresh.

You are right though, time to wait and see. Reviews should be showing up next week.

Regarding the 48125W OC… it is only full CAV @ max speed.
48x (CAV) 40x, 32x, 24x (P-CAV)
16x, 12x, 8x, 4x (CLV)

I would imagine that the 48X24X48 LiteOn will rewrite at the same speed as the Yamaha or it might be all of 5-10 seconds faster. I don’t believe in brand loyalty, just getting the best drive for my money. New technology is generally faster, but not necessarily better at the time of its introduction.

My understanding of the F1 is that Yamaha is focusing on quality of burns. Who cares if it’s 10 seconds faster or slower… I’d rather have a drive that burns error free than one that is fast, but consistently writes errors. *cough 48125W

LiteOn 48X24X48 CDRW Drive announced

Props to CDRInfo
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2468

With the price of media these days why go for 48x24x48.I have a 48125w and believe me im running no where to get that little rewrite improvement. Basically thats the only difference

LOL LiteOn just announced another drive today… 52X32X52.

Props again to cdrinfo.com

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2469

Alex, haven’t you figured out yet that the 48125W doesn’t write to crap media either?

It writes to some crap media (at least my one), such as Moser Baer, if you select the proper speed

Of course, it’s possible that you get much more crappy media in the US than in Germany…

But the last yamaha I owned only wrote to TDK Relfex Ultra (made by TDK), and I know someone to have the 2100 (16x), and in this one it isn’t much better.

I am sure the Yahama will be nice drive…but will it support all the features you want…

maybe better for audio…but I like t obackup my games and software and feel it generally does not have these write features

I have heard horror stories with all cdrw manufacturers including plex…

My personal experience after owning a ricoh, HP, Plex, Liteon is the quality is overall good to excellent…every once in awhile a defective drives gets through

The features are important to me…for me audio is not a big issue as I do not buy many audio cds…

So the Yahama is a poor choice and I doubt it will write a better quality, have better media compatablility than Liteon …it may feel more sturdy…but my Liteon 40125S o/c to 48125W feels as sturdy and solid as the 241040 Plex I had for awhile

So I do not feel the Yahama is going to be this great perfect drive…

LOL LiteOn just announced another drive today… 52X32X52

Looks like write speeds have effectively bottomed out. And how relevant are REWRITE speeds anyway?

With DVD burners expected to drop to around $200 by year end, would you say CD burners are in danger of being extinct soon?

Holy crap…52x32x52x…amazing I thought we hit the peak at 48x…I do not even see that many 50x + cdroms

As for DVD burner…it would nice to have these but the problem is they are still trying to get the formats established…until there is only one tech I will pass…just reminds me so much of the Beta , VHS situation…

Also the media is way to expensive…yes i realize it has 4.7gb vs 650mg but several dollars or more makes a coaster a real problem…

Might want to revise that comment on media compatibility.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/document.php3?Doc=79

I do agree on the DVD issue. I don’t think the tech is there yet (fast enough), nor do I think it’s worth it until the standards get worked out.

Let’s also not forget the announcements by Toshiba and Phillips for their new format.

Alex,

One other thing… CDFreaks of the Yamaha 3200

The drive has great features which ensure a good quality back-up and supports, in our opinion, the most important features a drive should have like DAO-RAW writing, overburning, CD-Text, SubChannel Data reading, UDMA33, etc.

Copy protection

The Yamaha CRW3200E is truly a great copy-protection reader. It’s the fastest drive we’ve seen when skipping the SafeDisc errors (the drive reads them without even slowing down once!) and it even works well with CloneCD’s ‘Amplify Weak Sectors’ option. We were amazed by this because even without this CloneCD option, the created back-up worked in the recorder, even when dealing with SafeDisc v2.51.021. Besides its good SafeDisc handling the Yamaha drive can read and write the full SubChannel Data and therefore had no problems with SecuRom and the PlayStation (LibCrypt) discs. The only time the Yamaha CRW3200E wasn’t the fastest reader was with the LaserLock protection. This protection is hard to read for a lot of drives so this is no major surprise.

It’s the fastest drive we’ve seen when skipping the SafeDisc errors (the drive reads them without even slowing down once!)

A Plextor 24x with Firmware 1.03 or newer can also do that.

and it even works well with CloneCD’s ‘Amplify Weak Sectors’ option. [Backups worked in the recorder without AWS]

With a Toshiba 1502s a reader, I don’t AWS option. That’s why I sold my Plextor and bought a LiteOn. And to mention the second sentence in a positiv manner is a strange joke…

the Yamaha drive can read and write the full SubChannel Data and therefore had no problems with SecuRom and the PlayStation (LibCrypt) discs.

And what’s the special thing about that? This is simply RAW-DAO-96-mode, which every cd-writer (except some TraxData, older Acers and a few more) can do. Even 2x and 4x Mitsumi can do RAW-DAO-96.

My point was that every drawback you put in a previous post for Yamaha drives was listed as a strength with this drive. So expecting the CRW-F1 not to support features that the last drive they produced doesn’t make sense.

but they always lacked of standard features (capability to write to crap media, no c2-scans RAW-DAO mode was only available with their 16x writers and later etc)

The language in that section is a bit screwy, I can see how some folks might misinterpret it.