LTR-48125W & copy protected discs: poor read speeds

Hi all…new to the forums…don’t flame me if I missed the answer to this one…

I just got my LTR-48125W today…
went to test it out by CloneCD’ing Max Payne…

HORRIBLY SLOW…my Plextor 24x12x40 was a lot faster ripping copy-protected discs…

other c-p’ed cds seem just as slow…

My Config
Athlon XP 1900+/Asus A7V266
512 2100DDR
WD SE 120/80GB (primary master/slave)
LTR-48125W/Pioneer DVD (secondary master/slave)
WinXP

HELP!???!

Make sure the disc quality is good, you got the latest firmware VS08, and got the right settings for copying a SD2 game. Like making sure FES is enabled to 0-3 (recommended is 2, if a lil worn 3).

i’m ripping from original pressed discs using the settings ClonyXXL is specifying…

do me a favor and refresh my memory regarding “fes”…i’m not sure i follow…

does the ltr48125w even support fes? i have the same drive but it always switches back to hardware fes which sux in ccd…

Plextors are much faster than Lite-ons at ripping safedisc protected cds. Trouble is that with a few exceptions they can’t write the images accurately enough without AWS (which doesn’t always work) to get a working back-up of any sd2.51+ cd. Lite-ons, of course, can do so without AWS.

If you happen to have both a plex and a Litey on your system, you can, of course, read with the plex and write with the Litey and so get the best of both.

yea the lite-ons are pretty slow on SD games… took me around 6 mins on Max Payne.

heck my Asus 52x CD-ROM reads it in 3 mins.

so you’d consider 6 minutes for max payne slow? i believe it took me somewhere near 20…

as for safedisc 2.51-protected games (the only one i’ve tried so far is mafia), i’ve yet to produce a working backup of a game with this protection… (i used CCD 4.0.1.9 with ClonyXXL’s recommended settings)

i’m still clueless here…

i DO know my system seems to be desperately in need of a reformat…maybe that’ll fix some things…it’s hard to say without trying it…i guess i’ll keep mucking around with it for the time being, but if anybody comes up with some ideas, i’m more than open to trying them…

If you setup your your fast error skip to “hardware”,and read retries to “0”,the process will speed up…:slight_smile:

If you setup your your fast error skip to “hardware”,and read retries to “0”,the process will speed up…

Wait so you saying I should set my setting for my Liteon from Software FES to Hardware?

oh FxCK me! I think I found my problem…it looks like ClonyXXL’s default read speed for SD2.51 is 4x…that’d explain the slow reads, huh guys? I’ll test it out later and see if that fixes it…it’s quite possible that it will…

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
[B]

Wait so you saying I should set my setting for my Liteon from Software FES to Hardware? [/B]

LiteOn doesn’t support Software FES…Clone automaticly changes it–>check your logfile:)
If read retries are a higher value than “0”,the read is very slow…

LiteOn doesn’t support Software FES…Clone automaticly changes it–>check your logfile

Aww dat sux, I guess I better read with Plextor and burn wiz Lite-On, too bad dey on different PCs, so if the read is really slow I’ll have to read it on one pc den send it through my home network to the other for the image to be burnt.

Is it normal for the Lite-On to sound like my DVD drive? My Plextor is awfully quiet during reads and writes, but the Lite-On’s spin-ups and spin-downs can be heard pretty plainly.