Ltr 48125s produces crc errors

hi,

i have a new liteon ltr 48125s drive since 4 days. unfortunatly i can’t burn correct data. nero as well as sfv checks tell me that there are errors on my media. i tried several media as well as different writing speeds (8 to 48). the burned discs are readable and well so far. but i’d like to have “good” copies of my data. who knows maybe one day the data isn’t readable anymore (damaged header etc) …

i disabled the win xp burning “feature”, use the latest nero version (5.5.9.17). dma is activated.
firmware version : 1s05

is my drive damaged ?

sys spec:
p3 866 mhz
386 mb sd-ram
win xp
2 hds on 1. channel
ltr (master) and dvdrom(slave) on 2. channel

What media, exactly, have you used?

Manufacturer : Ritek
Code : 97m15s17f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 7: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Capacity : 79:59.73
703 MB

Capacity : 79:59.70
703 MB

first one is a tevion, second a octron nad the third is a tdk 80 metallic. they somehow seem to be the same :wink:

y

Which chipset do you use? That sounds a bit like the VIA-KT133A-SB live-686B southbridge-UDMA bug…

You don’t mention the speed ratings on the media, but untill you can run some tests with different media, I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions.

Alex:

That sounds a bit like the VIA-KT133A-SB live-686B southbridge-UDMA bug…

You just described my system, but there’s no bugs here. What bug?

This combination can cause data to be changed in the PCI bus, resulting e.g. in CDs which don’t have yellow/red parts, but still fail Nero verification: Although correct data is sent to the writer, it receives different data and writes these different data.

It does not necessarily occur, but it can.

If this bug is the reason for the problems, then writing in DAO/96 mode should be a temporary solution.

@alexnoe i have an asus p3b-f mainboard using Intel 440BX chipset.

@rdgrimes all the medias are writable at least with 32 speed. that shouldn’t be the problem since i burned some discs with 12 speed.

is there any fix for this chipset bug (besides writing in dao96 mode which i’ll of course try later this evening)?

thx for your support guys, i really appreciate it.

y

all the medias are writable at least with 32 speed. that shouldn’t be the problem since i burned some discs with 12 speed.

I wouldn’t assume that the media is not the problem untill you try different media.

Manufacturer : CMC Magnetics
Code : 97m26s66f
Recording Layer : Dye Type 6: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Capacity : 79:59.71
703 MB

i used the above shown media (came with the ltr writer) AND burned in dao96 mode and guess what … it failed. nero’s check already failed at 0 % :Z

so, i don’t think it is the medias (at least they work perfectly in my other writers, so they can’t be that crappy)

y

I440BX has no bug you could compensate for. The problem must be somewhere else.
Your memory could be broken. Use MemTest to check for this.

Using DAO/96 (if it were that VIA bug) would be no fix btw, but only a temporary workaround that would rely on C3 error correction!

damn , i was talking shit concerning the chipset. that asus board is in one of the other pcs standing around here.

the chipset on this machine is VIA694X/686A

so is it the chipset bug ? if so, what can i do about it ?

y

With 686A, the bug should not be present. If it indeed is present there, there is not much you can do.
(a) try as many different VIA drivers as possible. VIA trifles with different PCI settings randomly, and a few work
(b) if (a) doesn’t help, deactivate UDMA on the secondary IDE channel. Run the drives in MW-DMA mode.
© if (b) doesn’t help either, and if your RAM is not broken, then you found a completely new bug => :frowning: :Z

that looks complicated :confused:

is this bug liteon specific ? my former writer (ricoh 7083) in this pc worked fine.

if so i would just switch writers by exchanging the liteon by my good old fellow the plextor 12/10/32a

thx for your help alexnoe

y

No, it’s the worst VIA bug ever and has nothing to do with LiteOn.

If changing the writer fixes your problem, then the problem would not be this VIA bug.

i had the exact same problem with my kiteon 40125s. I did a nymber of things to try and fix it but what seemed to work was to uninstall a program called VIa IDEtool that was in my taskbar. If you have it get rid of it and see what happens.

well, i switched writers and guess what … the liteon produced a fine, nero approved cd. but on the other side my plextor writer produced a crap cd as the liteon used to do in that pc.
good news: my liteon isn’t broke. Bad news: i have the via bug :a

@ben21 i don’t have that via IDEtool seems to be a bit more complicated here :confused:

can anyone tell me which via drivers are my solution ? i installed 443v but they didn’t solve my problem.

y

I have VIA busmaster controller v.5.0.2195.120, dated 10-18-2001. I’m pretty sure I got it in the 4-in-one download version 4.40. I don’t think it has changed in the newer ones. Works fine here with the KT133 - VT8365 north and VT82C686B south.

that 4.40 version works a bit better than it did before (verifying fails at e.g. 88 % instead of 0 % ) but i still have errors on my written discs.

maybe i should write via a mail if no one in this forum knows the perfect driver version for my problem…

but one thing makes me confused. i always thought that my old ricoh writer produced exact results. i must admit that i did that verifying check very seldom but i did it sometimes and if there were errors it would have attracted my attention for sure. i’ll check this writer out again…

y