LTR-40125s: which firmware for best quality burning?

vbimport

Hi,
Would like to upgrade my LTR-40125S, not for speed reason, but to achieve best possible quality CD recording (both data and audio), and audio extracting. Which firmware would you recommend?
Have tried to flash it with VS0D, flashing OK, MB BIOS recognized it as LTR-48125, but the green light was on all the time and the drive was unusable. Now it’s flashed with ZS0R, seems to work fine. Could you direct me what other FW rev. should i try (starting with those giving best quality recordings)?

Cheers

Janusz

Originally posted by smolny

Could you direct me what other FW rev. should i try ?

ZS0P

With the second attempt, i managed to get 40125s@48125W working, flashed with VS0D. Many posts here suggest that VS0D gives best overall performance with 40125, so should i “downgrade” to ZS0P or stay with the VS0D (still quality is what counts, not speed)?

Janusz

Many posts here suggest that VS0D gives best overall performance with 40125, so should i “downgrade” to ZS0P or stay with the VS0D (still quality is what counts, not speed)?

Of course, it’s up to you. As for me, I “downgraded” my 48125 as soon as the ZS0P was released.
But this is something from the past. :smiley:

Thanks for the advice.
In that configuration: LTR-40125S with ZS0P firmware, what speed would you recommend to achieve best quality? For data and audio? Other factors influencing quality at the time of recording?
Till reading some other threads, i thought “the slower the better” and used to record everything from batch at night, at 4x. Except for testing, i never exceed 16x.
Media i use now is an “ancient” Traxdata Gold TXG874.

Cheers

Janusz

Regarding another thread: once i bought those infamous inferior quality Philips CD-Rs at MediaMarkt in Poland, in 1999 i think. Just recording them the way i used to record other stuff (excellent Samsungs, some TDK and Verbatim), it was more than 30% chance of getting unreadable CDs. Worse shit were only some BTC got in 1998: 60% crap.

i thought “the slower the better” and used to record everything from batch at night, at 4x.
Except for testing, i never exceed 16x.

Media i use now is an “ancient” Traxdata Gold TXG874.

This is not always the case, i.e. “the slower the better”.
Yet, I always burn my audio using strictly CLV, i.e 4 - 16x.

“ancient” Traxdata Gold TXG874, huh ? I got it too. Wonder if you know what it is ? :wink:
Check this out >

Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:26:00
Lead Out = 74:56:00
Nominal Capacity = 658.30MB
Manufacturer Maybe = Fornet International Pte. Ltd.
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 16X (Write)

Looks too good to be true :slight_smile: (not meaning i don’t believe you, i just don’t believe my luck, esp. when the “Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling” says in my case:

ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 4
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
Disk sub type: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-) (2)
ATIP start of lead in: -11318 (97:31/07)
ATIP start of lead out: 336225 (74:45/00)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 22
Manufacturer: Ritek Co.)

The “round the middle hole” number is
95G4912057777B01

The scan looks excellent to me (don’t know how to check my CDs, as my house is so “MSWindows free”, that i have only some bootable dos/win95 floppies around - btw., any chance there is a test program running in dos mode?)

But from what i know, the ATIP could be misleading, as in fact it is possible to use the “form” with any ATIP and fill it with any dye - or am i wrong?

Still your scan looks so interesting, i shall find some Windows box and check my CDs :slight_smile:

Cheers

Janusz

it will have to be a windows box with aa liteon drive.

you might just want to do a second partition with win2k for the testing then blow it away when done.

i had a 40125s and loved it. it was consistantly good at burning.

The “round the middle hole” number is
95G4912057777B01

Hi Janucz !

As for Traxdata, I have 2 different ones with the same Part. No. TXG874.

The first one is called Traxdata 8x with the hub # 5908E14001 ( the one mabe by Fornet )

the second one is called Traxdata Gold 8x with the hub # 16.G906185974B16 and the following ATIP :

Disc Type = CDR
Material = Phthalocyanine
Lead In = 97:31:05
Lead Out = 74:45:00
Nominal Capacity = 656.69MB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 16X (Write)

I guess this one is exactly your case.

I knew it just looked too good … to be my case

Have you by any chance tested those Ritek’s Traxdata Gold for errors? (sure you have :))
They behave quite decently for me - just one failure in over 100 burnt, and obviously my fault: tried it accidentally at 24x speed. Still the first 350MB readable.

Cheers

Janusz

Hi BoSkin,
Have managed to run KProbe in wine -MSWin emulator for Linux. I don’t know if the results are anything comparable to what a Windows box shows, but it scans cdrs and prints graphs :slight_smile:

Compared the results for several CDRs from the same batch, recorded at the same speed in LTR-48125S, and while C1 errors seem whithin reasonable limits, there are occasional C2 errors also - detected only with LTR-48125S/ZS0P, not confirmed with LTR-52327S (in MSWin box, if that matters). Strange thing about those C2 errors is, they usually (but not always) occur at around 56th minute of disk (if they occur at all). When they are there, they stay there (running test several times for the same disk). Some disks are constantly free of them.

Is my LTR-48125S dying? Or you have some other idea how to explain that? Or is it perhaps just a syndrome of a “new to KProbe cdfreak” :slight_smile: ?

Cheers

Janusz

smolny: rdgrimes said in this thread : “The large single spike of C1/C2 is known as the “5-series speed bump”. It is a reading glitch that has nothing to do with the discs’s quality. It always occurs at about 57 min. It’s best to manually adjust the graph scale downward to ignore the large spike, so you can see the errors better. If the max and total error counts are the same, then you can assume that there are no other C2 errors on the disc.”

Hi Conductor,
Thanks, I really started worrying about the condition of my burner. I did use the search, but missed the thread you pointed me to. Sorry, don’t like making fuss about things already explained.

Cheers

Janusz

Originally posted by Conductor

It is a reading glitch that has nothing to do with the discs’s quality. It always occurs at about 57 min.
I have never experienced anything like that with any of my 5th chipset series drives.

Hi BoSkin,
Whatever “5-series speed bump” means, perhaps you don’t get the effect just because you test at a fixed speed?? If you still have some of 5s, how about giving it a try at max speed?

Cheers

Janusz

If you still have some of 5s, how about giving it a try at max speed?

No, unfortunately I don’t have them remain.

Btw, I’ve tested those @all speeds, believe it or not.
Besides, I don’t see why it should be tested @max.
The very first versions of KProbe had 8x as default ( just like CD Doctor 1.0.4 ). You know what I mean ?

Hi BoSkin,
“Besides, I don’t see why it should be tested @max
Neither do I :slight_smile:
But perhaps that’s the condition of “speed bump” phenomenon? The KProbe’s default is max now.

“The very first versions of KProbe had 8x as default ( just like CD Doctor 1.0.4 ). You know what I mean ?”

Have just started my KProbe experience, never used CDDoctor, and sorry not follow what you mean this time?

Cheers

Janusz

But perhaps that’s the condition of “speed bump” phenomenon?
I don’t know, I cannot be responsible for some1’s words. I haven’t seen any spikes at whatever speed.
Perhaps I was kinda lucky w my LiteOns.

Whatever “5-series speed bump” means, perhaps you don’t get the effect just because you test at a fixed speed?? If you still have some of 5s, how about giving it a try at max speed?

Nah… i don’t usually see it on my either. I think it can happen every once in awhile not all the time.