LTR-40125S - P-CAV or Z-CLV?

vbimport

My friend has a Lite-On LTR-40125S and was asking me if it was a P-CAV drive like my LTR-40125W. How do I find out?

TIA>
-g.

It is. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dhc014
It is. :slight_smile:
:slight_smile: Thanks…

I could be wrong, but I thought the 40125S was Z-CLV unless it was upgraded with the very latest firmware, which would convert it to P-CAV. I know this was true with the 32123S.

The first semi-official P-CAV firmware for LiteOn 40125S (ZS0G) was made available on May 16, 2002, if I’m not mistaken (I bought mine one day later :smiley: )

Originally posted by glc650
How do I find out?

By testing it with e.g. Nero CD Speed or KProb ( the one in my sig )

Originally posted by BoSkin
By testing it with e.g. Nero CD Speed or KProb ( the one in my sig )

I looked at both those programs (Nero CD Speed and KProb) and don’t see where the test is for checking the write method.

Put in an empty disc, open CD-Speed and press F9.

If you press “F9”, the computer will write actual data to the disc. If you press “F2”, the computer will simulate the creation of a disc.

don’t see where the test is for checking the write method.

Make sure before running the test, goto : File > Options and choose the desired settings there.

When you run the transfer rate test or the create data cd test with a blank CD in the drive, the graph will show the drive’s write speed and writing method (i.e. P-CAV or Z-CLV).

Results:

CDs are TDKs rated at 32x. Why SMART-BURN can’t figure that out I do not know. Anyway, apparently at about the 50 min. mark, the current speed (~34x) proved to be too fast for the media and the burner decreased its speed. Anyway, the SMART-BURN issue aside, looks like the drive used CAV from ~18x-34x.

Thanks for the help all…

-g.

Your drive’s running in P-CAV mode. There is no CAV 40x mode on this burner.

Thanks for the help all…

You’re welcome. :smiley:

looks like the drive used CAV from ~18x-34x.

LiteOnGuy is right here. The graph would have turned P-CAV @40x if hadn’t failed.