LTR-32123s overclock recovery

Hey guys, i’ve been reading the forums for a while, but this is my first time posting. I tried searching for this type of problem, but didn’t find any working solution. Anyways…

I have an ltr-32123s that i tried to flash to 40x using mtkflash1801 and the xsu1.bin provided in the Liteon FAQ. I made a backup, luckily. I then flashed the drive, and everything went great. It said it was successful and to restart. I did that, but when the bios goes to detect my IDE drives, the comp stalls. I tried hitting F4 to bypass, but it doesn’t do anything. So my question is, how do i restore my backup if i can’t boot the computer with the drive connected?

edit: I disabled the auto IDE detection, booted off a startup disk, restored my old firmware with mtkflash. It said it was successfull. When i restart the light on the drive stays green. The computer stalls at the winXP boot screen. If i enable auto IDE detection, it stalls when it tries to detect. Any ideas?

I tried to do the connect when in dos thing, and my computer automatically turns off if i try to connect a device while it’s running.

Then don’t boot with it connected. :slight_smile:

Disconnect, boot, and reconnect while it’s powered on.

You must either disable the IDE channel that it is connected to in BIOS (if your BIOS allows this) or else unplug the drive’s power until you are in DOS.

sorry to bump my own post, but any other suggestions? i really liked this drive, and i should have just kept it at 32x, it was working great.

Originally posted by T3ddyG
sorry to bump my own post, but any other suggestions? i really liked this drive, and i should have just kept it at 32x, it was working great.

So what dhc014 and I suggested didn’t work?

when i tried to leave the power unplugged until i was in dos, i would plug the power in, and the computer would shutdown. So i tried disconnecting the ide cable until i was in dos, and then connected that, flashed the drive. It said it was successful, but i’m still getting the same solid green light and freeze upon ide drive detection. Not sure what else to do?

Originally posted by T3ddyG
when i tried to leave the power unplugged until i was in dos, i would plug the power in, and the computer would shutdown. So i tried disconnecting the ide cable until i was in dos, and then connected that, flashed the drive. It said it was successful, but i’m still getting the same solid green light and freeze upon ide drive detection. Not sure what else to do?

Hmmmm… perhaps you could try this procedure in another computer?

If your computer shuts down when you plug the drive in, then unplug any unnecessary devices like other CD drives to take some of the load off of your power supply.

i tried doing it in another computer, the drive said it flashed succesfully, but it still isn’t recognized in bios or windows. Also i have a 380 watt antec power supply, it’s underpowered?

First off, disconnecting of all devices worked. Thanks for the tip, no more restart when connecting the power cord to the dead drive.

Also… i think i got it figured out.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading, and I ran across someone that said their backup was only a few kb, and that the xsu1.bin firmware was 512 kb. They said it was because he only backed up the 1st memory bank. I decided to check the file size on my backup, it’s very small like his was. So i think i may have only backed up the 1st memory bank. I’m not sure why this would be, because i used the command they said to use in the thread for mtkflash. Anyways, i need a bin file for the ltr-32123s. Liteon only offers exe’s, so i’m not sure what to do. I tried using flashfix on xs0z.exe from liteon, but it said it didn’t support multiple firmware per flash. I was going to output it into a bin file, because i didn’t know how else to get a bin from the exe. If someone could post a bin file of xs0z, that would be wonderful. Thanks for the help guys, it’s been painful.

You can extract the .BIN from the .EXE file. The 32123S uses the older (not XFlash) LiteOn flasher, so you’ll need to use LiteFirm to do this.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56285

i extracted the .bin in litefirm using the command:
litefirm xs0z.exe bkup.bin

It worked. But when i tried to use mtkflash to write the firmware i got the error “ERR: Fail to open input file!”. Suggestions?

I finally got it to work. The problem was the /b switch is obsolete in mtkflash 1.801.
Once i removed the /b from the command, everything worked fine. A mod may want to alter the mtkflash megapost to remove the /b from the command line. The drive is running great. Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully this thread will assist other people trying to recover bad flash drives.