LtnFW question

vbimport

Hi I’m really a newbie to all this so please bear with me if I ask some basic questions.

I recently picked up 2 100ea. spindles of Sony -R (made in Malaysia 16d1) blank DVDs at a yard sale ($5.00 for both!!!)

I think my Liteon doesn’t support this media type, I get the “Cannot write medium-incompatible format error”

I’d like to “add support” for this media.

In the “F.A.Q. for LiteOn Optical Drives” it says
“The best way to get a media support list is to backup your drive’s firmware to a file using LtnFW and then use OmniPatcher to extract the list of supported DVD media codes and their burn speeds.”

My first question is where do I “browse” for the bin file LtnFW asks for so I can backup my drive’s firmware before using OP?
More questions to follow.

Shuttle X
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 3000+
Motherboard Name Shuttle FN45 (1 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM,
Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
System Memory 2048 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (04/14/04)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S
(DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x,
DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x,
CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Firmware BSOY
OS XP SP3

PS I know my equipment is old but it’s “good” enough for me

I THINK you can use the Flash Utility to backup your firmware instead, which may be easier than ltnfw.

Either way: You’ll be reading the firmware from the drive into a new file that you save…wherever you want. Just try the backup process and see what happens. :slight_smile:

I downloaded and used codeguys flash utility to backup my firmware (pretty easy) then used OminPatcher to check supported media. It seems my firmware already supports my blank discs so my problem must lie elsewhere. Will start a search.
Thanks

What program are you using to burn?

I used ImgBurn to create an Iso then IB to burn. I get the “Cannot Write Medium-Incompatible Format” even though OmniPatcher shows the Sony 16D1 is supported.

Are you sure they’re blank? Do they burn fine in any other drives or in any other PCs?

Brand new unopened pack. Don’t have any other burner.

Lite-On SOHW-1633S was a rather good DVD+R media burner…, with DVD-R´s not that good IMO :wink:
Sorry to say [I][B]xlch72[/B][/I], I think you spend your money on media not that usefull on this drive.

But then, all is not lost, try burn those discs at highest possible speed that your drive will support (8x).
Browse at this homepage of C0deKing for more information/firmware and utilities like eeprom.
ala42´s MCSE might be helpfull if you like to change the SONY16D1 write strategy. Take your time and read. You´ll find this forum very usefull by time. :cool:

BTW, all burning apps [ImgBurn included] have to send the very same write commands to burner when burning a CD/DVD/BD, no matter what burning application you are using. So please ignore posts regarding the use of this or that burning app. :flower:

I’m feeling very embarrassed. I just put my lens cleaner in and tried 2 “test” burns. They both passed. Will try a real burn later. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hopefully it continues to work. :slight_smile:

Next time, you could open the drive and manually clean the lens. You might be more gentle/thorough than a lens cleaning disc.

[QUOTE=Albert;2701878]
Next time, you could open the drive and manually clean the lens. You might be more gentle/thorough than a lens cleaning disc.[/QUOTE]

And if you do that, also clean the rubbery platform that the DVD sits on – those tend to accumulate dust and such and then can’t spin the DVD as well.