LtieOn 812s@832s and new 16X DVD+R and DVD-r media

vbimport

Hello,

I own for about 4 years now a LiteOn 812s burner which I flashed to 832s CG5G.

Until now I constantly used Fuji 8x DVD+R - media code YUDEN000T02 (Yaiyo Yuden) and me burn results were quite good.

Recently, the Fuji media is no longer available, so I searched for other higher quality media and I tested two
(I could only find 16x media which seemed decent) :

1. Verbatim 16X DVD-R media code TYG03
  2. TDK 16X DVD+R media code TDK003

I noticed that the burn results (in kprobe) were significantly worse.

I flashed the drive with firmware CG5M, but still got the same bad results.

I attached kprobe results from the earlier 8X Fuji (YUDEN000T02) and from the newer 16X TDK and Verbatim medias.

Does the decrease in burn quality is because of the different, newer 16X media ?
Is it time to move on to a newer dvd burner
(if so could you please recommend the latest LiteOn which is recommended),
or is there any other reasons you could think of , that cause this decrease

Thank you and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Itay

The decrease in quality is probably due to the different media.
The TDK MID doesn’t appear to be in the firmware.
If you are in the US there are several places on the Internet
where you can buy genuine Taiyo Yuden media.
If it was me, I’d stick with the YUDEN000 T02 8x media.
That’s what I use with my 16x burners.

Lots of drives have trouble with TYG03 so I would have to agree that it is time to upgrade your drive. My 812 was shelved a long time ago and most of the newer burners are massively better than the 812. I would suggest the Pioneer 111, the LG H42N, and you could look at the Liteon 20X versions if you want to stay with Liteon.

Question: where did you get your Verbatim with the TYG03 ID?

Verbatim 16x DVD±R media in the EMEA region is quite often made by Taiyo Yuden, and the OP probably got his Verbatims in Israel (see this post).

Oh… stay away from TDK 003. It has degradation problems :frowning:

DrageMester is right, I got the Verbatim TYG03 in Israel.

Meanwhile I picked up a new LiteOn 20A1P which was with firmware KL05 and I flashed
it with the KL0A from codeguys (stock).

I reburned the same image that I did earlier (with TYG03 and TDK003) and as you can see the results are not much better.

I see other guys with the same 20A1P who get much better results with TYG03 (around 200 PIF), maybe the Verbatim TYG03
isn’t as good as other brand name TYG03’s ???

Or are there any other tweaks that needs to be done (according to kprobe 2.5.2 Tools -> SmartBurn , SmartBurn is enabled, Hyper Tuning is enabled , over speed burning is disabled - but I burned at 4X).

Itay

oops, forgot to attach the kprobe result, so here goes …

Different batches can have varying quality. This is true both for media and for drives.

Or are there any other tweaks that needs to be done (according to kprobe 2.5.2 Tools -> SmartBurn , SmartBurn is enabled, Hyper Tuning is enabled , over speed burning is disabled - but I burned at 4X).
With the 5S and 6S generations of LiteOn drives, burning 16x rated TY media at slower than 8x tends to produce worse burns than at 8x - 16x. I haven’t tested this on the 18x/20x generation drives yet, but if I were you, I’d try burning at 8x, 12x and 16x to see if that gives you better quality. Burning at 18x or 20x is unlikely to improve the quality and may very well decrease it.

This burn is nice but has a few annoying PIF clumps :slight_smile:
Is the disc clean?

DrageMester - I will try your suggestion - tomorrow I will burn an image at 8X
(I usually burn images for my son - for his PS2 games, and I was always told that burning at lower speeds is better,
maybe this fact changed with the newer dvd burners).

The dvd I used was clean, I always check for dust before putting it in.

TYG03 is DVD-R, I remember that when I scanned this forum after getting my 812S,
I read that those older LiteOn’s (including the 832S) prefer DVD+R to DVD-R, I did some tests and I remember that I saw significant changes between +R and -R (+R was much better).

I saw the kprobe and nero results for the 20A1P (from other folks), and it seems that this animal loves to eat DVD-R for breakfast as well, but maybe some DVD’s are better then others. (Verbatim was laways decent, I also could not get any +R TY media, the Verbatim DVD+R is MCC and I prefered TY -R to MCC +R).

I have some original bulk TY YUDEN002 which I save for speacial purposes (I don’t know what those are, but since it was so hard to come by original TY media here in Israel and also very expensive, I keep these dvd’s like wine, older is better), so I’ll
try those (they are 8X, so I’ll try a 8X burn) and post the results.

Thanks for your great help :slight_smile:

Itay

Yes, the older LiteOns much preferred DVD+R to DVD-R. There is very little if any difference with the most recent drives, except for normal variation between media.

I have some original bulk TY YUDEN002 which I save for speacial purposes (I don’t know what those are, but since it was so hard to come by original TY media here in Israel and also very expensive, I keep these dvd’s like wine, older is better), so I’ll
try those (they are 8X, so I’ll try a 8X burn) and post the results.
I don’t think you’ll find any better media for your drives than those YUDEN000 T02. They are some of the best and most widely compatible.

Burn them at 8x in your LH-20A1P or at 6x/8x in your 812s@832s and you’ll get the best results.

Thanks for your great help :slight_smile:
You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

OK, I burned an image with Alcohol 120 at 8X, it took the actual burning 1 minute to start after I pressed “start” and it arrived at 8X only after 3 minutes. the whole process took 8:25 minutes.

I didn’t see any indications in Alcohol for the “smart burn enabled” etc. - I think I saw that written when I used the 812s@832s.

The results are much better, still there is room for improovment - I will try 12X next time.

Do you think I should use the KL0G firmware ?

Itay

That’s a very nice result. :slight_smile:

Do you think I should use the KL0G firmware ?
That depends on whether you can live with the problem described in this thread:

LiteOn 20x drives cannot perform Full Erase on 4x DVD+RW media?

If that’s not acceptable to you, you should stay with KL0A firmware until this problem is solved.

I use Verbatim 4X DVD+RW and I always do a quick erase, I never did a full erase, so
I might try KL0G, should I get better results ?

Shouldn’t I see any refernece for the misc features like smart burn, hyper tuning etc. when I run a program like alcohol or nero ?

Here are 2 more results - I burned 2 dvd’s for my son, one in 8X and the other in 12X,
I used nero for both, the results for the 12X burn are much better in the PIF count.

Full erase is good though, because it makes the DVD+RW “live longer” (more rewrite cycles) and improves the burn quality on these DVD+RW.

The burning software won’t display whether HT is enabled or not, that’s up to LiteOn’s SMART-BURN software to do that :wink:

Great burns though :slight_smile: